Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #16  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Another one chiming in to recommend "Mindless Eating," which recounts numerous experiments & makes suggestions based on the results.
I really liked that book and the studies he cites. It gives you a lot to think about in terms of all the external influences on over-eating. I'm much more sensitive now to how these things impact me.

Last edited by matt_H; 01-05-2011 at 09:49 AM.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #17  

I had a "full" switch until I quit smoking (over 10 years ago now). The new relationship with food was a complete suprise to me.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

For me it seems to be about taste. I just want the sensation of tasting whatever it is not to end...so I eat and eat and eat.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 172/135/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea2 View Post
For me it seems to be about taste. I just want the sensation of tasting whatever it is not to end...so I eat and eat and eat.
Me tooooo!! I used to come home with my bags of groceries and want to eat a little of everything because there was so much to taste!! LOL
Mama2Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

I too always want to clean my plate. The only way I can even slightly rely on hunger is only taking a little at a time. Then I eat all that's on my plate, but it's only a little bit, and I can gage how I'm feeling and take seconds if I'm still hungry, and keep repeating this process until I feel full. Otherwise, I WILL eat everything that's on my plate, even if it means eating past when I feel fullness. I just can't seem to get rid of my 'Clean Plate Club' membership; every time they come to my door they always seem to swindle me into paying more dues!

Last edited by megwini; 01-05-2011 at 07:51 PM.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #21  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Hmm. Interesting conversation, and for the most part, I agree with the majority of the PP, that a lot of us who are/were overweight/obese, got that way because we had "broken" internal satiety indicators. What I don't agree with, is the book's conclusion that, because our satiety indicators can be tricked by some external cues (essentially, by manipulation of the size of the container or the size of the serving) that this means all of these people have broken or at least dysfunctional satiety indicators. I mean, in what area of life are we NOT influenced to some degree by the comparators? Don't we also get manipulated into thinking 2 lines are different lengths if they're bracketed by < > instead of > < (a common optical illusion)? What about thinking a room is hotter than it really is because we've just stepped in from a snowstorm, versus that same room temperature when it's 90 outside? To me, these psychology studies of appetite simply reprove what should be obvious- humans are not robots, and we can be influenced by many extraneous variables. So, sure, let's stack the deck as much in our dieting favor as possible - both those of us with "broken" internal satiety indicators, and those of us with relatively intact ones.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #22  
Yay!

S/C/G: 252/seeticker/195

Height: 1,83/ 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Five View Post
Me tooooo!! I used to come home with my bags of groceries and want to eat a little of everything because there was so much to taste!! LOL
OMG im not the only one who does that!?!?!?! I still do it bhahaha I dont big out I just have a little bit of a couple things I really like . Thats hilarious, I really thought I was the only one
Zofia is offline   Reply With Quote