Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #31  
Workin' It

Jay - that is odd - maybe they figure it is cooked in oil or buttered? Or like you said, could be for pureed or reduced size in cooking. My broccoli doesn't change in size when I cook it so I typically have the same volume I started with, but I also leave it pretty crunchy.

I see differences like that in The Daily Plate, too.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #32  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Interesting. I use a downloaded FitDay, and 1 cup of "broccoli, raw" is 25 calories, whereas 1 cup of "broccoli, cooked" is 91 calories. I have no idea why that would be. Maybe they think it's pureed?

But if I use "broccoli, cooked" and enter "1 cup, flowerets" I get 49 calories.

Which just goes to show, you can't always trust your software helpers!

Jay

This is why I never use only one source for calorie information. If there's a large discrepancy, I'll check up to four sources.

But a cup of broccoli with no sauce or other additions is absolutely not anywhere near 90 calories. In my exchange plan, that would put it in the category of a bread or fruit rather than a vegetable (exchange plans are always calorie and carb content based).

Some calorie counting sources still count the calories in fiber, which should not be counted for humans and other animals without the ability to digest plant fiber (If you're a cow or a termite, it would count).

The calorie discrepancies from source to source, is why I prefer exchange plans. The calorie counting is still done, but by an estimation system that's easy to memorize for basic foods. I know most of the common exchange values by heart. And for items I don't know, I look up online or in my exchange value books. If I can't find the exchange value, I can look up the calorie, protein/fat/carbohydrate counts and calculate the exchange value.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #33  
Less of a Better Me

Several things to respond to:

I am a WW member (lifetime, but not at goal weight). I have lost 6.4 pounds since the new program came out a month ago. For me, that is astoundingly good weight loss, much better than under the old program.

I am personally not all that fond of fruit so while I am eating a bit more fruit it isn't a huge amount. Before I would never spend points on fruit (since I don't like most of it) but now do occasionally eat some fruit since it is zero points.

I do like veggies. Bear in mind that it is non-starchy veggies that are zero points. Corn and potatoes, for example, do have points.

I say zero points because there is no such thing as free really. Your body does take account of all the calories it receives. That said, most veggies and fruit are not high calories.

My leader says not to stuff yourself with these things but to eat a reasonable amount until satisfied.

The WW program does assume that people are eating a certain amount of fruits and veggies a day.

I personally both count WW points and count calories (on livestrong). When I count calories I do count the fruits and veggies. FWIW, they are not generally a hugely significant source of calories but I do count them.

To be a lifetime member of WW (someone asked), you must get to your goal and stay within 2 pounds of goal for 6 weeks (that is 2 pounds up or 2 pounds down). Once you maintain for 6 weeks then you are a lifetime member. You do not have to pay to attend meetings unless you weigh more than 2 pounds above goal (it is OK to go below goal).

As a lifetime member not at goal, I do pay for meetings. However I only pay for meetings I attend. Lifetime members do not ever have to pay missed meeting fees and do not have to pay a registration fee no matter how much they weigh.

In general, I believe that WW does try to have a program that is grounded in the most recent and accurate science which is why they changed this program. Yes, they are a profit making company. But I think they are in no danger of running out of potential customers even if many, many people get to goal.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #34  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

The USDA database shows 1 cup of broccoli, raw, chopped as 31 calories (kcal).
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #35  

I must be old cuz when I attended WW in the 90's, I counted non starchy veggies as free. Even though I already adored veggies, that really turned the corner for me. Veggies became my foundation and not just one of the smaller sections on the portioned plate. I remember discussing in meetings that nobody ever got fat from baby carrots (though they may have turned yellow) That said we also discussed that eating an entire bag of frozen veggies to feel really full would entail some mindless eating as well as not listening to fullness signals.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

you know, this is all what we should have been doing years ago. We are just getting it now. I get it now. I can't believe i've been ignoring what was natural is what is good.

What is man made, most times, is not good. Something to think about.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote