Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Indulgent weekend...now withdrawal?

So typically on the weekend I'll have 1-2 off plan indulgent meals. Sometimes I'll feeling crummy Monday morning, maybe a little hungrier and just generally bleh. Well this weekend was DH's birthday and I had a very indulgent dinner sat and an indulgent lunch and dinner sun and just over ate in general. I typically eat very cleanly during the week and so I can only assume that yesterday and today I feel like complete h*ll is because I'm in withdrawal now and my body just does not process those types of food the same way anymore.

The only solution I can come to is that I need to establish a new rule that I am only allowed to 1-2 off plan meals a weekend and that I need to be careful of the portions and types of food. Does anyone else experience this? And how do you handle it? I'm of the camp that needs an indulgent meal once a week, but if it's going to make me feel like this...well then maybe I need a new plan.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I'm of the camp that needs an indulgent meal once a week, but if it's going to make me feel like this...well then maybe I need a new plan.
I do think you have to decide if it's really worth it on so many fronts. Cravings wise... increased hunger wise.. having to get back on plan wise... And umm, feeling crummy...

Why do you think that you need so many indulgent meals?

I ask myself this after I have one, because I feel so crappy after wards (yes, my body reacts poorly to off plan foods) and I'm not doing it anywhere nearly as often as you. I keep asking myself do I really need this stuff? Granted I'm still doing it - so far - but I question whether it's really necessary.

If you're looking to increase calories, you can do it on healthy foods.. Nuts, bigger protein portions, beans, avocado, etc. It doesn't have to be *junk*.

You just might want to re-vamp that plan of yours; you can certainly cut back on the frequency and the portion sizes, but most likely the head will have to be re-vamped first, if ya know what I mean?

Is it realistic to never have cake, cookies, pastas, pizza, etc? For me, I don't think so... but like I eluded to earlier, I always wonder why isn't it realistic if the after affects are so unpleasant?

It's always something, isn't it? Something to ponder, something to tweak.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #3  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I have my one indulgent DAY (not just a meal, all day, whatever I want) once a month. So I don't go off plan or have cheat meals during the weekends, that said, I do eat on the higher end of my calories on the weekend. I also find it very easy to eat light and clean with the routine of the week, so I stay on the low end and build up the deficit.

Two things may be causing your "withdrawal symptoms." 1) A physical reaction...your body and tastebuds have adapted to less refined carbs, sugars, grease, sodium, etc etc. When it's suddenly added back, the body gears up and says "more more more!" and 2) On a more psychological front, after just one slip (even what you consider an acceptable slip such as your usual more indulgent weekend meals), it's sooooo easy to slide down that slippery slope and sneak just one more slip in. Then two, then three.

I also need the occasional indulgence. For me, a life without the occasional unbridled and carefree consumption of my most beloved foods is just not worth it. I honestly don't think that being thin with improved confidence and health and such would even be worth it if I knew I *never* got to indulge again. I'd rather be chubby with my Chinese food, cake, and pizza than thin and never indulge again. I can happily compromise and be thin with very *rare* indulgences. It's easy for me to stick to plan when I know I have a planned day once a month to eat whatever I'd like, guilt free. When my day comes, I do indeed eat whatever I want, lol. And yea, I usually feel like poo after. I'm quickly reminded that my body is not nearly as tolerant of that volume of food nor the garbage that my tastebuds crave as it once was. I feel like poo, I'm thrilled to get back on plan the next day, and all my cravings are satisfied.

So maybe instead of having a few meals once a week and going through the I-feel-like-poo ordeal every time, be stricter week by week and just have a more glorious blow out less often.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I know the feeling . . . I too have to have an indulgence once a week or I go crazy. However, if I have TOO MUCH indulgence I feel like crap too. Mostly, I just start to want more junk food, I feel like my stomach has expanded, and then I feel hungrier like I need more food to fill up my big expanded tummy.

So I find that it's okay with me to keep the indulgent meal on the weekend, but it has to be only 1-2 meals, and they shouldn't be over the top indulgent. There's a difference between going out and eating something fatty at a restaurant and going out and eating so much of that unhealthy food that you are totally stuffed and can't move. I try to make sure that even on my indulgent meals I never get to the point of being uncomfortably full.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

I try not to make my indulgences routine or expected. Instead of saying, "Every weekend, I...," I have the indulgence when the occasion calls for it. If DH and I go out on a Tuesday night, I may indulge a bit, then. If I go to a holiday party at noon on a Saturday, or a latte at 3pm with my teenager, I may indulge, then. If I tell myself that every weekend I can indulge, I start looking at food with an entitled point-of-view, which is dangerous, fat-girl thinking territory for me. I am trying to switch to skinny-girl thinking which is, "Hmmm, it's a holiday party, I think I'll have a little of _____." I don't think they would ever think on a Monday, "I will completely go nuts with food at dinner on Saturday."

I know we all have different ways of working out this maintenance thing - this is just what works for me.
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I have a weekly treat meal and it is an indulgence. BUT I still stick to my forever nos - no fried foods, no packaged baked goods (not that this often comes up at a nice restaurant, but still), no cream based sauces, one piece of bread out of the basket, one glass of wine, split a dessert.

Even when I'm indulging myself at a nice restaurant, it is still NOTHING like I used to indulge myself. I still wouldn't eat something like a Blooming Onion at Outback. Yes, I know they're delicious, yes, I know I shouldn't live a life without deprivation, but those types of food have no place in my life, in any situation, anymore.

I usually don't have any problem hopping back on plan, but I'm pretty locked into my healthy eating during the week. I grocery shop on Sunday, I eat what I plan. Plus, I want to stay in my cute clothes AND have a treat meal on the weekend, that means I need to be on plan all week to earn that meal.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I'm actually maintaining instead of losing this month because of my childlike insistence on indulgent weekend meals despite not having reached goal yet. Like you I eat mostly cleanly during the week and weekend splurges do a real number on me. The h3ll on earth feeling of reeling from the invasive nontypical nonnutrients (sugar, saturated fat etc) post-indulgence kicks me back into plan and Monday is my unofficial "detox day."

I don't know about you, but I tend to get overexcited and totally overdo it when I let myself have free meals/days. Week after week I'm moaning "Why did I eat so much?!" and clutching my stomach. Do you have friends or family who enable/encourage you? I know when I meet certain friends, all we do together is eat huge meals to validate one another's existences.

Like mkendrick, I'd rather be a blue whale who eats delicious food than never eat anything I love ever again.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #8  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethesweatpants View Post
I try not to make my indulgences routine or expected. Instead of saying, "Every weekend, I...," I have the indulgence when the occasion calls for it. If DH and I go out on a Tuesday night, I may indulge a bit, then. If I go to a holiday party at noon on a Saturday, or a latte at 3pm with my teenager, I may indulge, then. If I tell myself that every weekend I can indulge, I start looking at food with an entitled point-of-view, which is dangerous, fat-girl thinking territory for me. I am trying to switch to skinny-girl thinking which is, "Hmmm, it's a holiday party, I think I'll have a little of _____." I don't think they would ever think on a Monday, "I will completely go nuts with food at dinner on Saturday."

I know we all have different ways of working out this maintenance thing - this is just what works for me.
I bolded the last line to emphasize that I agree with you. There are a zillion and one ways to skin a cat, and I think the hardest challenge of all of this is figuring out what works for us personally. We all come up with slightly different techniques and philosophies.

That said, I do the complete opposite of you for completely opposite reasons I NEVER have unplanned indulgences (well, it has happened, but they are mistakes and NOT okay for me). If I can justify one unplanned indulgence, I can justify them all. Shoot, I justified myself up to my highest weight. I found a reason why I needed to eat half a pan of cake every Friday night and the other half for Saturday breakfast. Now I understand that's far from the logic that you're using. Because you're right, a skinny-brain person would have rational and reasonable justifications for the occasional indulgence. But I do not have a skinny-brain, and I don't trust myself to make those good choices.

If I pick a day and plan it as a free day (and I use the justifications, I'll pick birthdays, parties, etc where I know I'll want to indulge), then it is within my control.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #9  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I love everything that has been said here and it's given me a lot to think about, that's why I love you ladies so much!

I think my indulgences need a bit of revamping as Robin said. I'm not sure why I feel the need to allow indulgences in my life, but I do. And I guess I'm of the school that everything is ok in moderation, but figuring out what is moderation to you is key and what moderation doesn't result in regain or slipping back into old habits is even more important. But I just love a good dessert or good indulgent dinner too much to never ever allow them again. But life certainly would go on if I did.

I think I just need to keep all in perspective and certainly learn from this weekend, which I totally understand I completely over did it and without good reason (is there ever a good reason to over do it?)
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
That said, I do the complete opposite of you for completely opposite reasons I NEVER have unplanned indulgences (well, it has happened, but they are mistakes and NOT okay for me). If I can justify one unplanned indulgence, I can justify them all.
I should probably make sure it's clear that my indulgences always fit into my calorie goals, or my butt is sprinting on the treadmill. I always try to eat the healthiest of foods in my maintenance cals, so "indulgences" are non-healthy foods in my maintenance cals. They just don't make me feel good or build up my body, they just taste good. I used to be the queen of 1200-1400 cals/day of crap on a previous plan.

Yay for 3FC - so great how we are all different!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post

I think I just need to keep all in perspective and certainly learn from this weekend, which I totally understand I completely over did it and without good reason (is there ever a good reason to over do it?)
This has been a huge turning point for me. If I find that I've eaten something I shouldn't, I sort of sit back and try to be reflective. I analyze why I would have done something so hurtful to myself and how I can fix it. Was I feeling bored? or angry? or entitled? What can I do differently? This change in attitude has completely changed my behavior - no more "falling off the wagon." There is no wagon, there is just life.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
I used to be the queen of 1200-1400 cals/day of crap on a previous plan.

:
haha me too
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #13  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

In the words of Missy Elliot:

Is it worth it, let me work it
I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it

This is how I view maintenance and indulgences. I do not want to be one of those uptight people who refuses to ever eat off plan. There will always be options to eat off plan. But is the food worth it? If it's super over processed junk? No, but ymmv. This is what's working for me right now. I will always try to fit in a Culvers cheeseburger kids meal (usually with soup substituted for the fries) with 1 scoop of frozen custard with DS15 at least 1x a month. It's all about choices. I expect that I will have to tweak over time.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #14  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
This has been a huge turning point for me. If I find that I've eaten something I shouldn't, I sort of sit back and try to be reflective. I analyze why I would have done something so hurtful to myself and how I can fix it. Was I feeling bored? or angry? or entitled? What can I do differently? This change in attitude has completely changed my behavior - no more "falling off the wagon." There is no wagon, there is just life.
I'm still working on this. I used to think I was an emotional eater (and I probably was) but now I'm beginning to think that I'm a bored eater too. I'm trying to replace the bored eating with getting more done around the house. Hatethesweatpants, I love your username. I blame, partially, elastic waistband stretchy pants for gaining up to almost 250 lbs! when DD went to college, I made sure that she knew that she should wear her jeans 85% of the time so that she would know if she was gaining weight from the dorm cafeteria and junk food. I rarely wear sweats or yoga pants, unless I'm sleeping.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
Hatethesweatpants, I love your username. I blame, partially, elastic waistband stretchy pants for gaining up to almost 250 lbs! when DD went to college, I made sure that she knew that she should wear her jeans 85% of the time so that she would know if she was gaining weight from the dorm cafeteria and junk food. I rarely wear sweats or yoga pants, unless I'm sleeping.
Ha ha, exactly! On Thanksgiving, I wore the tightest skinny jeans I own. Not only are the sweats ugly and boring, but they are waaaaaay too forgiving!