Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat Nov. 15 - 21

Coming off an Indian summer weekend makes me feel as if winter just won't hit us this year. Think I'll put my long johns back in storage and get out the sandals, LOL.

Had a wonderful time outside - got some outside chores done, some pleasant walking and soaring spirits.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Red face Good morning!

I'm at myself today.

I have gained my "daylight savings" 5 lbs. in just over a week . And it's just sucuumbing to bad habits and I know better.

I sat in front of the TV last night eating rice cakes. I was aware that, with every bite I took, it felt like I was eating styrofoam covered with some kind of chemical salt. But I kept eating.

It's hard to feel motivated when I'm waking up at 3:30 a.m. and ready for bed at 8:30 p.m. When it's pitch dark at 6 p.m. and I'm so drained by the cold day spent outside that I feel like I can't do anything.

And DH is not helping by bringing home all the carbohydrates he can carry!

I knew I was gaining the weight because I haven't been stepping on the scale this week at all.

I need to find some energy from a source other than caffeine and carbs.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #3  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

Mostly OP this weekend but I'm feeling bleh today, remnants of too much wine Saturday night. Stupid wine. My tummy is still very bloated from it. I took BF to the city Sat. to pick up his new dirt bike. He says it will help him "get back into shape" and reduce his blood pressure, which is way too high for a 34-year old. Though I do hope the dirt bike helps, he doesn't want to hear "drinking less beer will help reduce your blood pressure too!"

I know a few people here read the blog katheats.com. I'm started making my oatmeal in a pot on the stove rather than the microwave and following her recipe (check under her "tribute to oats"), and my oh my, it is fluffy soft delicious oatmeal! I was getting bored of my usual microwave with water only routine, then add banana or fruit on top. I recommend her recipe to anyone looking to change up their oatmeal!

Bill, glad you're enjoying the nice weather. It's been gorgeous here, too, and I've been loving the fall weather. It's always such a relief after the long, hot summer.

Dagmar, sorry DH has fallen off the wagon again. Sometimes when I've got the evening munchies in the winter I make a nice cup of hot decaf tea. The hot liquid is filling and takes a while to drink, often giving me time to snap out of the "munchy" mentality. Why can't you go to bed at 8:30? I don't see anything wrong with that!

How was everyone else's weekend?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had a good weekend. I forgot to go grocery shopping Saturday morning which was weird. I even spent almost an hour sitting in my DD's room petting the kitty (he was neutered the previous day and was still feeling the effects it seems). It was so nice--a rather cool morning so sitting there with the sun streaming in and the window open so we could hear the birds chirping. DH and I went golfing in the afternoon with his parents and that was nice. I forgot to wear my brace for my elbow and it's been really sore since then, but not nearly as bad as it was so obviously the exercises have been helping.

Sunday we went to see Unstoppable. Wow. Good movie. And despite the fact that I knew the obvious outcome, I still found myself gasping and saying "Oh, God" several times.

Friday we leave for Arizona for the weekend. That will be fun and then it's back home to prepare for Thanksgiving and a houseful of guests.

Dagmar~I went to bed last night at 8:30. It felt wonderful! I do hate the fact that it's dark by 4:45 here.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Hi everyone!

Bill, it was warm here last week, into the 70s. This week is cold again though. When I wake up in the morning the dog is curled into a tight little bundle in his dog bed -- his ears and the top of his fur are cold, but then he picks up his head and under his chin is extra warm!

Dagmar, sorry DH fell off the wagon again. I'm with Allison, if you want to go to sleep at 8:30 go to sleep at 8:30. Why not?

Megan, IMO the best benefit of microwave oatmeal is that I only get one bowl dirty. I've been mixing Smucker's low-sugar strawberry jam into my oatmeal though and it is super yummy.

Allison, glad the elbow is getting better!

I decided I need to take this week as a recovery week for exercise. I've been following a 10k training plan I found online, but it pretty much just builds up regularly each week. I think the buildup is a little too fast for me. It's adding about 1 mile per week overall. I started at about 5 miles per week and I'm at 9 now, but my knees are complaining. Hopefully taking a week of only short easy runs will let them recover some. I didn't have this problem with my triathlon training plans, but then again they didn't really build up volume on the running much and only had me run twice a week (this one is 3 times).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Though I do hope the dirt bike helps, he doesn't want to hear "drinking less beer will help reduce your blood pressure too!"
I have to admit I don't want to hear "drinking less wine/beer will help me not re-gain," either! Yesterday I drank the better part of a bottle of wine, bad choice. Followed by some very cheesy pasta. But it sure was delicious!

Bill, it's been really warm here, too. Granted in the SW it doesn't get really cold, but we're still hitting 80's most afternoons which is a bit uncommon for the middle of November. Only the other day did we finally have to start turning the heat on at night, so if nothing else I am grateful for the fact that the gas bill will be low!

Allison, have fun in AZ! I live in the southern part of the state but my BF has some family near Prescott so we'll be going there for Thanksgiving and colder weather. Last year we also took a day trip to the Grand Canyon, which was really nice. I'm thinking maybe this year we can try to visit Sedona for a day - I keep hearing how beautiful it is.

Jessica, that's cute about your dog all curled up in his doggie bed! The cats don't much care for the cooler temps, either. They have a little "cube" they can go in with heated blankets (yeah, they're not spoiled or anything), but sometimes we just find them curled up in the corner of the couch.

Dagmar, I need to back away from the caffeine and carbs as energy sources as well. It's tougher this time of year - as it starts to get cooler and dark earlier, I definitely crave the comfort of carbs at night. Going to bed earlier does seem like a good idea, for me as well, but there's usually still so much to be done in the evenings!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Finishing my big school project this week then I just have a few smaller ones left. Dh's brother is coming to San Fran for work and dd and I may go meet him in "the city" for dinner. I immediately thought-- oh no-- I'll miss spin again. But I guess I'll live. Between my still sore tailbone and the cold, I'm a mess. Hopefully will still drag myself to boxing boot camp tonight if I have any energy at all.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #8  

GRRRR!! I tried to post a long reply and only part of it posted. I don't know why that keeps happening?!?!?

Bummer. Maybe I'll have more time later to say hello again to everyone!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Traveling michele, I seem to remember that the intermittent dropping of the site has to do with using "Remember me" and not logging out every time... But I'm not sure. Maybe mandalinn82 knows?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Traveling michele, I seem to remember that the intermittent dropping of the site has to do with using "Remember me" and not logging out every time... But I'm not sure. Maybe mandalinn82 knows?

Jay
I don't think it's those - I'm a lazy girl and have both those features enabled and my posts don't get dropped.

Dagmar
Old 11-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #11  

Hmmmm.... it only happens to me at work. Perhaps that's a sign I shouldn't be on 3FC's at work!

I was going to ask Iris about her heating blankets for her cats?! In Arizona? Does sound spoiled! But I think my cats would love it-- are they made for cats or just people? My cats would be even lazier than they are now if that is possible!

Jessica-- good idea to give your body a break this week.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:55 AM   #12  

Megan I tried the tea last night - thanks! Curbed the munchies and helped rehydrate me as well.

Iris Electric blankets for cats ? They ARE spoiled. But that's what cats are for - our indulgence and unwavering devotion (if Mudpie had her way).

Michele Maybe your body is asking for a day off? Mine does that sometimes - more often in winter .

I did the "magical" drink lots of water/lose 3 lbs. thing yesterday. Darn rice cakes - I knew they must be extra high in sodium.

I am not over the number on the scale any more as I know all about these blips - see above - but I still have to see the number at least 2X per week.

Great Tuesday all!

Dagmar
Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I was unclear. I meant NOT using that feature (Remember Me) can cause the site to drop you, especially if you're writing for a long time.

Also, it does get cold in Arizona! Especially at night. I froze my butt off one year camping.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 11-16-2010 at 07:41 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #14  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I'm feeling less bloated today but still kind of blah. I think it's my own fault - I'm (still) frustrated with my work situation and do not have the courage to do what I need to do about it (move away from my BF and get a better job or go back to school). I like this place, and my BF, just not the workplace anymore.

I always select the "remember me" options and my work computer used to do just that, but I think they changed the firewalls recently b/c the computer no longer remembers me. Because I'm definitely not supposed to be on 3fc.

Dagmar, glad the tea helped.

Michele, if your tailbone is still sore maybe it's good to take the day off from the gym. It's funny when I have an extended field sampling trip that's usually my first thought too: "oh no I won't be able to get to the gym that day". Is that weird?

Iris, if someone could make low-cal wine that tasted good, they would be a genius in my book. I can give up the alcohol pretty easily on my own but it's so hard at social events.

Jessica, I also like the one-bowl feature of microwave oatmeal but I just got so bored of it... I've been out of low sugar jam for a while, might need to get some more. I like Polaner brand sugar free too.

Ok, I will go do something productive now. I swear. *sigh*
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #15  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Megan, do you have to move away from BF to get a different job? Couldn't he move with you to wherever you need to go? (I guess that is the test of how serious the relationship is...)

I've been having issues with posting lately too. Hanging for eternity, getting error messages with no content -- I posted about it on the help forum but got no response.

My dog has finally decided he likes going running with me again. He no longer runs and hides when I get ready to go! This morning he was up first thing with me, and let me put on his collar and gear with no hassle at all. He stops short of being excited to go, but at least he doesn't run away.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote