Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 235/149/135

Height: 5'5

See that's the thing, I have pretty darn good genetics. No breast cancer or other cancer history. Obesity in the family but I think that relates more to lifestyle than genetics.
This will sound pretty controversial, but I rather enjoy sweets in moderation (I follow the 90/10 rule) than live an extra 5 years.
elleohelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleohelle View Post
See that's the thing, I have pretty darn good genetics. No breast cancer or other cancer history. Obesity in the family but I think that relates more to lifestyle than genetics.
This will sound pretty controversial, but I rather enjoy sweets in moderation (I follow the 90/10 rule) than live an extra 5 years.
Most breast cancer patients don't have a history of cancer in the family as is the case with a friend of mine. She is 60 years old, post menopausal and her cancer was found to be a direct cause of her being overweight. Her doctor told her the same thing as my moms.

Regardless, this is not to sway you, but you can have sweets in moderation AND be a healthy weight (and in fact be healthy). Many maintainers, such as myself do have their share of sweets every now and then, some more frequently than that.

I just don't want you to sell yourself short. 5 years is a long time.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-14-2010 at 11:44 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #18  

Thanks for your thoughts!

I can't seem to do it. I've been eating around 1500 cals a day, exercising regularly, and lifting weights.
All I can imagine is eating less and the idea of doing that just bums me out. I can't imagine trying to eat 1200 a day and do the full time job that I do. The only thing I can think of cutting is weekend drinking and partying and the ice cream I have once a week. I ate 1200 one day and I was so crabby and exhausted.

Another concern of mine is loose skin. I've already developed some loose skin on my stomach where I carried all my weight. My career goals involve academia. I simply don't have the money to get a tummy tuck. I rather be a bit heavier with a little more firm stomach than look like I had 10 kids. I'm terrified that if I continue to lose more much weight I will get rashes and have my skin rubbing against me.

Last edited by elleohelle; 10-15-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #19  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Now you see if I was loaded with muscles, very little fat and OVERweight, that wouldn't bother me a bit. But I clearly do not fit into that category.

And if I felt miserable and sickly in order to stay a healthy weight - out that healthy weight would go. Hands down. No second thoughts, no regrets.
Yeah. I'm definitely an exception case in this regard (I mean, if the average body fat percentage at this BMI is 38%, well, I'm a BIG WAY off from that, you know?). I always feel a bit silly talking about my goal weight, because it's fairly rare to be that far off from the average. But for me, BMI is flat out wrong, because I have linebacker shoulders and a TON of muscle, particularly in my legs.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #20  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:

I can't seem to do it. I've been eating around 1500 cals a day, exercising regularly, and lifting weights.
All I can imagine is eating less and the idea of doing that just bums me out. I can't imagine trying to eat 1200 a day and do the full time job that I do. The only thing I can think of cutting is weekend drinking and partying and the ice cream I have once a week. I ate 1200 one day and I was so crabby and exhausted.

Another concern of mine is loose skin. I've already developed some loose skin on my stomach where I carried all my weight. My career goals involve academia. I simply don't have the money to get a tummy tuck. I rather be a bit heavier with a little more firm stomach than look like I had 10 kids. I'm terrified that if I continue to lose more much weight I will get rashes and have my skin rubbing against me.
Well that weekend partying just might be the thing to do it. But you have to want to do it. It doesn't sound like you really do. If you were to eliminate it, I think you wouldn't miss it all. It's just what you're used to doing; it's a habit.

You also spoke of eating less calories and not feeling well. The key is to make sure each and every one of those calories are nutritious and satiating. No empty calories.

The loose skin? Again, it has to be more important to you to reap the benefits of a lower weight than is your concern about the skin, being that loose skin won't cause any deadly disease.

I'm not here to talk you into this, just responding to your post.

I don't know if you're a mom or even how old you are, but you might feel differently further down the road. Your priorities may shift. At that point, you can make the changes necessary to get the results you're after.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-15-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #21  

Thanks for being honest and upfront I appreciate it! It's definitely a matter of priorities. I really enjoy going out drinking and dancing. I usually have only or two drinks, and it's something I really like.

To be honest, I don't see how losing another 25 pounds is really going to make me that much healthier. My body fat is about 28%, I can walk and run long distances, my whr is good, and I feel like I have a lot of energy.

Those of you who lost that last 25 pounds, what benefits did you really find? Can you give me some concrete examples? Or this something you based on medical studies? I've heard from some nutritionists that everyone should be as thin as they can possibly be (low end of bmi), but why?

Thank you all.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #22  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
T

Those of you who lost that last 25 pounds, what benefits did you really find? Can you give me some concrete examples? Or this something you based on medical studies? I've heard from some nutritionists that everyone should be as thin as they can possibly be (low end of bmi), but why?

l.
I am no where near the low end of my BMI, but my last 25 pounds made an ENORMOUS difference for me. Heck the last 10 did, as did the last 5.

The most important difference - my blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Both are lower due to the lower weight. Nuf' said. But I'll go on anyway.

I feel better when I 'm lighter. I move better, have more energy, stamina, zip and without a doubt more confidence.

At the higher weight, I still had quite a bit of tummy. I still felt the need to keep my hands wrapped around my stomach, especially when I'd be sitting. Now, there is nothing to cover. No bulges.

Clothing choices are better. Hands down.

Hard to explain. But I just have more fun. I find things more enjoyable. I'm more carefree. Less worries and anxieties. I love being called "tiny" and "slim". I feel more feminine.

Oh and about going out and dancing - that is one of my favorite ways to spend a Saturday night. But for me, dancing doesn't have to involve drinking. Though sometimes it does. It didn't while I was losing, but now that I'm in maintenance, every now and then I will have an alcoholic beverage. Not that often though as I feel so great about myself, I don't need alcohol to loosen me up. Losing the weight and being slim has taken away lots of my inhibitions.

But really, the number one reason is the BP and cholesterol.

And the knowledge that I have done everything on my part to avoid lots of deadly and debilitating diseases.

And really, I was done settling for second best. I was done managing and getting by. I wanted FIRST best. It was time. I didn't want to wonder, "what if?". I wanted to KNOW and experience being slim and trim, being the optimal me. And I wasn't disappointed. It's a blast!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #23  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

If your worried about skin looking loose around your tummy, it usually takes a year to tighten up once your done losing weight. What you see may not look like that a year from now.

I'm starting to get a franken-tummy as well, not really lose skinnish, but like it's imploding on itself. I have a dimple in my fat roll! I'm hoping after a year it will tighten up a bit more, if it doesn't then oh well. I feel better at this lower weight, the last 8 lbs I've lost have made a huge difference.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #24  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
And really, I was done settling for second best. I was done managing and getting by. I wanted FIRST best. It was time.
Oh yes, the same for me. It's funny how I would strive for perfection with school/grades and my jobs/kids throughout life, but I never gave my body the same respect. It's like I over compensated with everything in life to take the attention off the one thing I thought about most. No more. I give my body and health top priority. I'm at a pretty optimal weight for my height, and I feel like I can fly most the time. I didn't feel that way in the 170...but I did feel like I could do a heck of a lot more than I did at 300. I even remember getting some pictures taken of me in the 175 to 180 range and thinking I look pretty darn good...until I compared them to pictures of me at 140. It was a real eye opener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post
If your worried about skin looking loose around your tummy, it usually takes a year to tighten up once your done losing weight. What you see may not look like that a year from now.
OH YEAH, you are not kidding.

When I first reached my goal, I have to admit my skin looked pretty bad. But I did lose a huge amount of weight in around 17 months. I have now maintained that loss for almost 17 months and it is truly amazing how much my skin has rebounded. Nope, 2 babies a c-section and a gallbladder surgery later, it will never be "hot", but I'm extremely happy with the results that time gave me.

The loose skin excuse gets under my skin...lol

Last edited by Lori Bell; 10-15-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #25  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:

I've been eating around 1500 cals a day, exercising regularly, and lifting weights.
.. eating less and the idea of doing that just bums me out.
Another concern of mine is loose skin.
In your case, I see no Health Reason for you to drop to a lower weight,
and I think your concerns are valid ones.
You know your body better than anyone else does.

Both BMI and BMR have only generalized applications to health.
BMI has only been used by the WHO
as the standard for recording obesity statistics since the early 1980s.
The FAO didn't even start using BMR calculations to determine energy requirements until 1981.

If you are healthy;
If you want to keep eating the way you're eating;
and If your appearance is acceptable to you,
I think it would be extremely foolish to work to obtain a weight
which would require you to eat less to maintain...
especially since the mere process of ageing tends to drop one's calorie requirements.

We have the right and the duty to determine our own Purpose in life.
I recently saw this quote:
"I AM NOT HERE TO DECORATE YOUR WORLD"

Last edited by Bright Angel; 10-15-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #26  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

The last 25ish pounds have made a HUGE difference, for me. I looked pretty darn good at my initial goal, but didn't really even consider sticking there once I arrived; I'd known for a while I was going to want to lose significantly more. I'm a tall woman with a high-end-of-medium-to-low-end-of-large frame, and really, photos and everybody else told me I carried those extra pounds well, but I wanted them gone, because, frankly, I wanted to see it through, I did not want to settle for "pretty good."

25-30 extra pounds gone has RADICALLY changed my physical appearance. As it turns out, and I never knew before, I am, in fact, one of those willowy tall women. I have not one single regret in going for it.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

As for the 25 pounds, I would suggest getting a backpack and filling it with 25 pounds of books and carrying that around for a day. That would give you an idea of what the net difference would be in not carrying around 25 pounds. I am 5'6" and 170 was my set point for years. I am now 135 or so and I am a completely different person. My energy levels are phenomenal compared to how I used to feel. When I pick up a 10 lb bag of flour, I can't imagine carrying that extra weight around all day, and it's only 10 lbs.

There's nothing wrong with taking a break to catch your breath and re-evaluate. It will give your skin a chance to catch up with your weight loss as well as your body image. So if you wanted to stop at this point indefinitely, that would be fine. But I wouldn't necessarily make it your final set point yet. After a couple months of maintaining at this point, you may get a second wind and be ready to lose again.

A plateau or temporary maintenance period can be good because it gives you confidence that you can maintain later on. It gives you a dry run at adding back in some calories without pigging out and racing back to your previous weight. I've been in a plateau for a month now (not to my choosing, but it is what it is) and I've learned all sorts of things about maintenance that have made me much more confident about losing the last 10 lbs and settling in where I want to be. So stopping at this point for a while could be a very good thing.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

I already responded but didn't really "respond" to you. I know some say go lower to prevent disease, be healthier, feel better etc....

I feel disease can strike anyone at any size, I have an Aunt and cousin both very thin (one extremely thin) and both had breast cancer, my mother in law very thin woman died of breast cancer. Just like there are some overweight people who have no health issues at all.

My honest opinion is this you have done very well on your weight loss and I see nothing wrong with maintaing where you are. Just like you got fed up about being uncomfortable and decided to do something about it the last time if you get that feeling again then you know what you have to do.

Enjoy your new weight and don't stress out about should you go lower, I think losing the amount you have probably added several years to your life already and improved your health.

If you're healthy and happy why stress about the unknown, enjoy your accomplishment!!
K-boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 191 / 183.5 / 145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xty View Post
I personally am not on the "in the healthy bmi range must mean Im at goal" line of thinking...

- bmi/weight are suboptimal measurements as they dont account for body composition
- carrying "extra" weight does actually have health consquences. (ex: for every 11lbs of weight you carry you increase your breast cancer risk)
I encourage everyone to analyze their overall fitness and nutrient level eating, in addition to how comfortable they feel at a certain weight.

Actually, the recent studies indicate that women in the slightly overweight category have a less risk of breast cancer than those of a normal weight.
Janda27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

If you feel happy, healthy, and strong - then I'd stay where you are comfortable, and feel like you can easily maintain. Living a life where you are in a constant struggle to stay at a weight where your body doesn't naturally settle doesn't sound like a fun life to me at all, honestly. Keep moving, keep eating healthy, and see where it takes you.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote