Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default What do you do when you feel it slipping away?

I'm experiencing some of the "calorie creep" we've all talked about and I'm scared about where it can lead. Fortunatly, it's lead no where so far, but as I'm trying to lose another 5lbs that's not exactly a good thing.

I'm also concerned about what the rest of the month has in store for me. I'm going to be out of town the majority of the weekends the rest of the month and I usually have a hard time staying on plan when out of town. Which is fine when it's an occasional weekend, but I've got three in a row! I mean I know what I need to do, we all know what we need to do, but executing it can sometimes be harder said than done. Tips?
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I would go to the grocery store and buy things you love to eat that are part of your plan including some that can travel. Like I would go to Whole Foods and buy all the beautiful canned and fresh fruit I wanted, Greek fat-free yogurt, lean fish and some fancy bottled water. Even on travel weekends, if I drink enough water I am usually OK. Good luck!
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Plan out your meals. I use my pda. If there is some decision about going to a restaurant, look up some meals ahead of time, enter those counts, and be proactive when choices are being discussed.

It is possible to either lose weight or maintain while traveling, but not without planning, IMHO.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

when I got close to the point of maintenance, I gained nearly 80 pounds back in about 6 months. There's something really dangerous about feeling like you can just "let go" and be done dieting- I don't think I ever will be able to be "done".
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You know where you are going, yes? And where you're staying? If so, you can look up what restaurants are available nearby and then go look up their menus.

Just for example, breakfast can be a disaster at a restaurant. If I'm trying to stay on plan, I order something like 1 egg, scrambled, with toast, and 2 pieces of bacon. No potatoes. No pancakes. Fruit instead of potatoes if that's offered.

You just have to think in terms of damage control and then stick to it. Stick to it. Stick to it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

I absolutely know I'm not done with "dieting" and that I've made a lifestyle change forever. The tricky thing is just that we're so busy thus month and going to be out of town a lot, more than we've been in a long long time and I haven't had a lot of practice when it come to being out of town for numerous weekends in a row. Usually it's a weekend here or there and I can afford to indulge and even continue to lose, but I know with three in a row I'm going to need to be more diligent and stick to what I know. So wish me luck. My first test is today, I've done ok, we'll see how tonight goes and what tomorrow brings. Next week will need to be flawless in prep for the next two weekends.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

You've been at this for 4 years now, just do what you have been doing...it seems to have worked well!

We go out of town every single weekend...well at least every Saturday. We usually get up super early and drive Lincoln and get home very late in the evening. We have been doing this for a couple years now, to care for my husbands elderly parents, (who refuse at this point to move into assisted living). It's very stressful, especially in the summer because they have a large lawn/yard that needs to be tended to plus grocery shopping, house work and laundry.

Even though we are rushed and stressed, I still managed to lose all my weight and keep it off going out of town every weekend. First, I always get up and eat a healthy breakfast at home...before we leave. No matter how early we leave I make sure I'm fed. I try to feed everyone, but that doesn't always happen...So when they stop at the bakery to pick up stuff for "grandma and grandpa" they usually load up for themselves. I get black coffee.

After we get chores done we take MIL/FIL out to lunch. They have a handful of places they like to eat, so I have researched them all and know what I can eat for 500 calories or under at each place.

For Supper I usually have a sandwich and some fruit and a yogurt I packed for myself, while everyone else orders pizza or something equally unhealthy and delicious. But sometimes I do have a piece or 2, OR maybe a "treat" at Dairy Queen. But the treats only started once I reached my ultimate weight goal of 140. Even when I hit my original goal of 158, I stayed away from most high calorie/low nutritional value food.

The thing is, I plan it out very carefully, my eating really depends on my weight. I also raised my weekend calories by 300 during the losing stage because It is harder at restaurants. But I was able to do it. Heck, this morning I weighed in at 139, so it totally can be done.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-15-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #8  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

When I'm going to be gone for a few days, I pack my car full of things on my food plan. Small cans of chicken, tuna, nuts, and gallons of purified water. I take a cooler with ice packs, and take hard-boiled eggs, cheese which has already been cut up. Pieces of lettuce, and low-starch veggies, which I find refreshing. Vitamins. It's such a relief to not be dependent on finding something I can eat at the time I want to eat. If one has the budget for it, there are dry pack tuna and chicken, and pemmican, beef jerky without chemicals, etc.

If I'm going for a day trip, I take a bit more than I need for the day, in case it turns out that I'm gone longer. I have similar responsibilities to Lori Bell, and always make sure I have my own food and water with me.

The longer I eat cleanly, and the more I stay away from things that trigger an appetite, the less likely I am to revert to something I really don't want.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
So wish me luck.
Luck has nothing to do with it. I posted a thread not too long ago on this topic. The minute I planned out my meals (took me sleeping on it to figure this out) even after many miles of travel. Plans can even include contingency events (safe meals at Cracker Barrel, Applebees, BlackEyed Pea, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Texas Land & Cattle, wharfs in Monterrey cA, etc...). It is easier and safer to plan with internet and time rather on the road with emotions of new surroundings.

You can be successful with ones weight and travel but only with planning.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #10  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
What do you do when you feel it slipping away?

I mean I know what I need to do,
we all know what we need to do,
but executing it can sometimes be harder said than done. Tips?
I recently saw and copied someone's quote:

Being Fat is Hard.
Losing Weight is Hard.
Maintaining Weight is Hard.
Choose your Hard.

Re weight Maintenance, my Tip is....
It doesn't really matter how you FEEL, or what you FEEL like doing.
Ultimately, it only matters what you choose to DO.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #11  
Closet health nut!

Thanks everyone. I didn't feel like I did a very good job this weekend, but I didn't gain (well I did but it was just water and gone in one day), so I guess I didn't do too bad.

I like that quote a lot. It's so true. I keep feeling sorry for myself...oh weight loss was hard...and maintenance is hard too...but none of it compares to being overweight. When overweight is hard there is NO payoff, when maintenance is hard there's a HUGE payoff - i.e. energy, awesome clothes, self confidence, we could all go on and on. So yeah - maintenance is hard - but so worth it!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #12  

Being fat is hard. I was at the the waterpark today. Last year this time I was lugging almost 60# extra around. DH gets salt for water softener, 40# each. I said that would be 1 & 1/2 bags carrying around all the time, including something like the water park. My poor body, joints, heart, etc...
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #13  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

I travelled 1-2 weeks a month during the majority of my weight loss phase, and have had several weekends out of town due to family illnesses. The business travel I managed to conquer with a little self-dicsipline & avoiding many social situations. Not so with the personal travel, which was 1000x harder.

A few things that have worked for me:
1. I know my trigger is refined sugar. Just 1 bite of a baked goodie sets me off in the wrong direction & will pretty much unravel my weekend. So, I avoid sweets for the most part.

2. Typically there is only 1 "big" meal each day with family (or friends). I really control my starches (actually, try to avoid them) and focus on lean protein as much as possible for the other meals. If that isn't an option (and frankly, sometimes it isn't), I just stick with whole foods - fruits, veggies, eggs, etc.

3. Exercise is a must. I may not get it in every day, but my DH has kindly supported me in finding time to work this in early in the AM before the daily plans get going. Not only does it fuel the furnace, it seems to help with my overall motivation.

4. Try, try TRY to stay out of the kitchen & busy with non-food-related things. Unfortunately I tend to spend a lot of time in the kitchen preparing, cooking, and cleaning up for those large meals; but if I'm able, I try to sneak out & spend time doing other things.

5. As others have mentioned, bring your own "snacks". In a pinch, they can become your meal.

6. Water, water, water.

7. Get on that scale the second you get home & get right back on track. No need to go hog wild with some massive calorie reduction, just go back to eating the way you typically do and whatever few pounds may have crept on (likely water retention) should come off.

It might be tough to think about losing - especially as you are already well within a healthy weight range now. But at a minimum you can maintain. And who knows, maybe a few shocks to your system may do you some good! I know towards the end, I temporarily gained weight, but once back on my weight loss plan, I would actually lose FASTER after those wacky weekends.

Good luck to you! You have done an amazing job & maintained an incredible weight loss. You have nothing to worry about. You KNOW what to do and what not to do. And if you slip up, it doesn't need to be an "all or nothing" deal. Just get back on track & forgive yourself.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote