Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #46  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Sznn, you’re thinking of the right place. We’re high mountain desert. I have hopes the snow is gone for good. My DH said our pool was 60 degrees so 20 more and I’ll be able to swim again. And I have to have rigid limits on my cocoa roasted almonds. I think almonds have a taste bud invader that makes one believe they always need more. Hide your tamari almonds.

Dagmar, the light bulb went off so be relieved that you found a solution.

MsP, I hope your weather warms for the weekend. My parents live in MN and said they had May’s weather in April and now they’re having April’s weather. They’re cold and want it to stop. As they’re preaching to the choir, I don’t feel too bad for them.

Shannon, thank you, thank you, thank you for saying that you wonder if you’re more judgmental now. I feel that way. I so much want to tell people how better they would feel (physically, not mentally although for me that fell into place as well) if they could move around. Then I want to bash myself over the head because I have NO right to think anything about their choices. BTW, pizza buffet??? OMG that would be cardiac suicide. Also, this morning I thought of you. In my morning fog, I shook my Almond Breeze milk that I had already opened. Truly you were my first thought.

Since Shannon mentioned it – I did it. I wore the Victoria Secrets bikini to the pool. I swam, I laid in the sun and I WORE a bikini in public. I bought it for my own pool but wow, I did it. I do admit to checking to see if my boobs were still covered and in the bikini as I’d get out of the pool. It actually was fun and a huge step towards feeling normal.

Allison, go to the doctor. As a person that usually won’t go because I don’t want to stop to have something rest, going yesterday was a good choice for me. Now I get PT and will learn what I’m doing wrong lifting so I can do it right. And for the knee, my experience with the twisting, my dr. prescribed a brace and I used it all the time. What that did was weaken my knee further and only 3 months of PT fixed it. So ask for a referral to PT so they can work on strengthening all the ligaments that keep the knee happy.

Iris, at least at the wine and cheese party you could whine about not running…???

Michelle, count me in as tired. I can’t sleep on my right shoulder and I wake up every time I try to roll that way. I hope your pain and numbness subsides soon. I love the KDGN story. My co-worker’s KDGNer was in our office yesterday. They were talking about the child’s age and his friend’s age. My co-worker corrected her KDGNer and said, “No you’re five and three quarters.” The KDGNer said, “So when is XXX (don’t remember the name) be five and three nickels?” I love what kids say.

I made it to Disneyland without any flight problems or anything. It was smooth. How often can a traveler say that? I investigated Downtown Disney (scoped out where to get my morning mochas) and then I asked the hotel “characters” if there was anyway to get a picture with me and Mickey and not pay admission to the park. She suggested Mickey and Friends breakfast at one of the other Disney hotels. So I have a reservation for tomorrow. $26 for a Mickey encounter seems way better than $75 for a park ticket when I wouldn’t be able to stay and rollercoaster. She promised I’d be able to get my picture. The reservation is at 7 and the conference starts at 8. I figured I was going to have to buy breakfast anyway so it’s not a bad deal. And I did the two hours at the pool (thank heaven for zinc oxide as you can’t even tell I laid in the sun). I called the fitness center and they don’t open until 6:30 in the morning!!! Who came up with those hours? I exercise at 5 in the morning. I thought that was odd but I can improvise in the room. The conf started and I conned a guy that works in a neighboring school district to have breakfast with Mickey and Friends and me. I needed someone to snap the photo. Right???
Marie

PS here's the view from my room tonight. 48 hours ago I was in the snow. Isn't life cool???

Last edited by Marie; 05-13-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:59 AM   #47  

Marie, love the picture! Good job on the bikini! And I want to see the pic of you and Mickey, pleeaaasse?
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #48  
Workin' It

Marie - on that bikini! You go! I have a VS one, too, and always had to make sure the girls were covered up when I moved as well... And glad I'm not the only one that feels that way sometimes about the people around me. Hope the breakfast goes well!

MsP - I am terrible at softball, always was. No amount of practice would keep me from embarrassing myself!

Iris - wine ad cheese... yummy...

Michele - kids are hilarious! Sorry about the arm - ick. It took mine almost a month to recover after my yoga fall + poor pillow combo. Hope yours pulls back to normal faster!

Meg - I haven't been able to make myself try spaghetti squash yet, but I hear great things about it. Hm.

Allison - glad you are going to get the knee checked out. Hope it is something that is easily fixable.

I had more bad for me food last night, after a restaurant salad for lunch, so more water on top of water today. Blah. PMS really makes me crazy, even without adding in the salty food. I'm going to work on not beating myself up and move on... And, my birthday is Saturday and my parents are coming up, so I know there will be cake. At least I'm exercising!

Good day all!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #49  
Back at it...again!

S/C/G: 199/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

Good morning all! I was very happy with all the work that got done yesterday at my mom's. We got SO much set up and it's raining again, so the plants will get a nice drink before the sale tomorrow. Today I have to get this silly house cleaned up. My grandparents are coming to see it for the first time Saturday and today's the only day I have to work on it. I got my "problem" area in the kitchen cleared already, now it's on to my bedroom which needs some serious attention. I still have some boxes from when we moved that haven't been properly dealt with and the dressers are all piled with papers and books. I also debated doing my bathrooms, bedding, etc. and doing a "deep" cleaning, but it's not gonna happen today. I'm just doing a quick wipe down and fast swish with the toilet brush in the bathrooms, making the beds nicely, clearing counters and dressers and calling it good. The deeper cleaning will have to wait 'til after the weekend. It's not too bad, so I won't stress. They do realize I LIVE here with my husband, 3 kids, cat and dog!

Shannon-I'm not real stellar at softball myself, but I am pretty average at sports in general and pretty competitive, so that helps. The only other time I've played softabll EVER was in intramurals in college with my then boyfriend (now DH), but it's fun exercise for me.

Marie-Nice pic! My DS is asking how much longer 'til we can go back to DisneyWorld. We went a few years ago and told them we'd go back once my youngest could ride everything. That should be in a couple years. We may hit DisneyLand next summer, since we might be going to CA to do a family get together with my 2 bros who live in southern CA. It's such fun, even as a big kid (adult)! Your parents hit the nail on the head. We absolutely got our April and May weather flip-flopped. I have to say it wasn't entirely a bad thing for us. I do miss the warmer temps, though! They're supposed to return some this weekend. I can't wait!
Ms Perception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

yey, Marie - I'm glad you wore the bikini! It's kind of empowering, I did it for the first time two summers ago. =)

To my fellow almond lovers - I got a can of chili lime almonds which are in my desk drawer at work. I think I ate half of it in one sitting, so I guess I better not replenish the stock when I finish them!

Michele, maybe that kid was right... Texas could be another planet!! I've only ever driven through the panhandle, so I guess I can't judge.

Ms. P, try not to stress about the house - you are right, I"m sure the grandparents understand that there are kids around and will be really excited to see them.

Right now I am avoiding several things - namely work, so I guess I should get to it. Hoping to fit in a little jog this evening.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #51  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Hi everyone! I'm back at work today after three days off hanging out with my folks. They are still here until Saturday morning. I'm behind enough to not do personals to everyone, but I can still get a couple in.

Sznn - GREAT JOB on your 10k! I am amazed at anyone who can run that fast!

Marie, whoohoo for wearing the bikini! Did you get your Mickey photo?

I have been eating too much junk the past few days. This always happens when my parents are here. I got annoyed at my dad yesterday though -- he made a comment that was intended to be a compliment but backfired. He said that since I've kept the weight off I am probably the same size I was in high school. On the one hand, it's kind of true, I weighed about this much when I was 16, although I was skinny-fat (it was all flab, no muscle, and I was totally out of shape). On the other hand, he obviously forgot that he started telling me I was fat when I was in high school. I said, I hope I look better than I did in high school, because when I was in high school you told me I was fat. He said, no I didn't, I remember thinking you looked great when you were about 15! Uh, yeah, he started telling me I was fat when I was 13 and weighed 115lbs. I said, no, you certainly never told me that, you told me I was fat, and I was upset, and then you said I was too sensitive and got mad at me. My mom corroborated my story though, because she remembered it too (this happened many times when I was a teenager).

Oh well, in any case, it was intended to be a compliment originally so I will try to take it that way. I love my dad, but I just can't manage to forgive him for criticizing my weight so much, especially when I was a teenager. For the record my dad is obese, diabetic, has high blood pressure, mocks healthy food, and thinks exercise is awful, so it's not like he was a great role model for healthy living.

On a more positive note, we did do some fun sightseeing! Over the weekend DH and I drove up to Chicago to meet my parents there, and I got to go to the Lincoln Park Zoo (great ape exhibit!) and the Field Museum. I was totally impressed with the Field Museum -- we spent about 4 hours there, but barely saw the tiniest portion of it. I could easily go back and spend a week there. Then the past three days while I was off work I went with my parents to see more local-ish stuff -- some interesting architecture by famous architects in Columbus, IN, a glass factory in Kokomo, IN, and the new exhibit at the Indiana Historical Society here in Indy.

While I did eat a lot of restaurant food, I do think I managed to make good choices most of the time, and I am extremely proud of myself for sticking to my exercise plan pretty well. Monday I got in a run with the dog, and yesterday I did a 10 mile bike ride with hills. No weights on Tuesday but I did them today.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #52  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Hey guys, I just thought I'd mention it here in case anyone is interested since a couple of you have mentioned it -- I started a new thread on the Exercise forum for 2010 triathlon chat. Anyone who is even remotely considering doing a triathlon is welcome! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...ason-chat.html
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #53  
Workin' It

Jessica - that is tough with your dad. I like to think that dads have good intentions, but sometimes poor execution. Moms too. Sometimes though I just don't know. Glad you got in some good sightseeing!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #54  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Jessica - the Field Museum is somewhere I'd love to go.

Michele - how do you like Earth?? Hilarious.

to all. Still riding along here but let's just say not on the crest of a wave. Still in the game, though.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Yay~ BofA just called, our refi is FINALLY done. They're arranging for a notary to come to our house Saturday to sign all the documents. This has been the longest refi ever! I think we started it in November and were told it would be done in February. When March came and it wasn't done they said that "since it's taken so long, we need A,B,C" and then in May they called and said "since it's taken so long, we need X,Y,Z." They got the final item two days ago and I thought it'd take another couple of weeks, but it's finally done! That will be saving us $600 per month!

We have a party to go to tonight. The downside is the hors d'oeuvres but the upside is we'll probably consider that our dinner. It's more of an open house for a person we know who is opening up a new shop.

And tomorrow is my 22nd wedding anniversary. Must call Ruth's Chris for reservations!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #56  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hey MARIE....I have worked all week in Anaheim at a Mercedes Benz dealership we are remodeling...great weather for your trip down here!

Just may be taking a trip to Disneyland in a few weeks with my sister as she celebrates her ending of chemo and radiation for her breast cancer!

Give a hug to Mickey for me!

Oh and Happy Anniversary ALLISON

JESSICA love your dad for who he is...and be so thankful that you have learned from his mistakes! Sometimes dads say dumb things....wink....just ask my kids!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 05-13-2010 at 07:40 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Thanks Gary, and give your sister a big hug from all of us for her brave fight!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

allison - did you see your dr. yet? if so, what was the diagnosis on the knee?

marie - do you live close to smith rock?? i like that area - so different from the coast, but not all that far away

shannon - the ankle is about 75% - it was a bit cranky after the 10k - but no swelling. i think it will take a while to heal completely.

paperclippy - thanks for the boost- and i may join you in the tri group when this 1/2 is done. that is next on the list.

i was going to go for a short run or do ab ripper X or ...anything. but no, i am having a glass of wine and going to sit in the tub and read my gardening mag.
and i wonder why these last 10lbs won't budge - geez!
keep telling myself i am saving up for an 8 mile run tomorrow.

S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #59  

Hi Birch, I was wondering how you were doing. Keep riding that wave.
to all
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #60  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi My goodness, 2 weeks away and I can't begin to keep up with all of you!! I had a great trip. DIdn't gain - or lose! - but I also didn't exercise as much as I do at home. TIme to get back to my food, my gym, and ahhhh - my bed!!

I'm just going to jump in since I can't possibly catch up. Can you believe I visited people who either have NO internet or dial-up??!!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote