Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #1  
No description available.

Default Operation 5-10 The Holiday Edition!

We're pushing 500 on the original thread, so I thought I'd gear us up for thread #2! Wow, and 10,000 + views of the other thread! I guess we are all checking in a lot!! Lurkers, come out and play!!

Tomorrow's Halloween! Then another National Holiday (my birthday!) is next week. Then Turkey Day (mine's on the counter defrosting....there's a little puddle dripping on the floor....should I be concerned? ) and then Christmas, Yule, NY Eve, etc!!! Lots of food temptations, lots of planning! Who wants to be under their red line on New Year's Day?? I do, I do!!!!!

Let's do this thing!
Old 10-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #2  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

My birthday's coming up too, Midwife! How old will you be? I'll tell if you will.

Here's where I got the idea for the pizza mummies. There are tons of other cute themed things you can make. http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/pizza-mummies-688188/
Old 10-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Ward, that's funny about the pizza mummies because I was looking at that website yesterday and thinking about making them for our halloween party!

I'm annoyed again because at work they served us the disgusting super-high-cal oily slimy sandwiches again. I took one half sandwich and apparently even that small amount was about 500 cals. Ugh! Way to ruin my eating plan, guys. A super-high-cal tiny sandwich puts me 200 cals over what I planned, and I'm still hungry because it was small. I'm emailing the people who order us food right now to request that if they order from this place again they get me a salad. They already special-order vegetarian sandwiches for some folks so it shouldn't be too hard.

Edit - I should add that I don't mind when we get pizza, and I usually eat about 600 cals worth of pizza. The difference is that two slices of pizza is a good amount of food and keeps me full for the rest of the day, whereas the 500-cal sandwich left me still hungry immediately after eating it.

Last edited by paperclippy; 10-30-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Can you bring your own lunch? I have waltzed into business meetings with my own lunch many a time

I am ON BOARD with this thread, I have about 5 lbs to lose.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #5  
Chuggin' along...

I'm still in, everyone! I don't know how I'm doing.. ahem.. but I'm still trying. (Well, doing ok so far today, but every day is a challenge right now for me). midwife, I was noticing we've gotten a lot of views as well. Please everyone, come join us!

Cute pizza mummies! I don't think I'll be making the vampire bite cupcakes I made last year for Halloween. Really cute and delicious but I don't need to introduce any extra sugar into my life right now.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #6  
No description available.

<cough>37, Ward <cough>. But you know, I feel like I'm 22. So that's good!
Megan, I made those Vampire cupcakes last year. I will not be making them this year....same reason as you!
Glory, do you think some of those 5 lbs could be water weight from your trip? I know your pants will be loose soon.
Jessica, I get so annoyed spending calories on subpar food it's not even funny. I don't mind splurging on something high quality. Could you keep a frozen meal on hand for the days they order icky sandwiches?

So far a POP day. I had a kick-*** workout today so I doubt the scale will bop down in the next 48 hrs, but that's okay. I feel really good!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardHog View Post
My birthday's coming up too, Midwife! How old will you be? I'll tell if you will.
And mine is at the very end of the holiday season - Jan 7. 65 if you're all telling.

For some reason I feel pretty good right now about going into the holiday season. Because we've no kids or other family around we don't get sucked into a lot of events that involve tons of food and drink. I have a work party (at an Italian restaurant, order off the menu) and friends of ours always throw a party with potluck finger food. Otherwise it's the two actual holidays and we go to our next door neighbors and so while we have a traditional meal, there's no leftovers to deal with (esp the dessert kind ). I will likely buy a small turkey when they're on sale but when I fix it we'll just have a "regular" dinner, not a blowout.

Last edited by WaterRat; 10-30-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I could bring my own lunch or keep something else handy, but unfortunately I don't really know what they're going to be serving until I walk into the room, and most of the time the food is something I can fit in easily or I've already planned for. I did talk to the person who orders the food for us though and requested that whenever we order from this place we get a salad in addition to the sandwiches. That should take care of my issue.

I did actually bring my own lunch to exactly one of these meetings, because it was during passover and I predicted (accurately) I wouldn't be able to eat whatever they had. Nobody said anything about it to me.

Are we having tell-your-age day? I turned 27 last month. I'm told that now that I'm 27 my biological clock will start ticking overtime, but fortunately I've escaped it so far!

Workout today is not going to happen. It's pouring rain and doesn't look like it will stop any time soon. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to make up for it tomorrow!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #9  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

I'll be 45 on Nov. 19. ack! Jessica, I had my first child at age 37 and my second at age 39. I don't think you need to start worrying about your bio clock just yet.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

As long as we are confessing b'days -
I'll be 52 tomorrow

I often bring my own lunch to meetings. Being a vegetarian, it is the norm for me. We have several folk with food allergies, and special dietary needs - I don't think anyone thinks twice about it these days.

One of the great things about being 52 is that I really don't care much any more what others think. I do what is best for me, I wear what I want, and I'm more likely to say what I think. It is very freeing.

And, my observation has been, that my concern over the years was unwarranted. Most folk don't react negatively at all.

Last edited by CountingDown; 10-31-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Glory, do you think some of those 5 lbs could be water weight from your trip? I know your pants will be loose soon.
Maybe SOME, but yeah, I ate too many calories to maintain.

Happy pre-birthday, Countingdown!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Who wants to be under their red line on New Year's Day??
Me me meeee!!

I ate a few pieces of chocolate today which I argue were not TECHNICALLY Halloween candy... but I ended up not eating lunch because I was just too anxious all day (bad, I know).

I'm off to check out the mummy-pizza link!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

I'm kinda cheating to be in this thread. My Thanksgiving is over, my birthday (#53) is next year, and we only have two holiday meals in December, neither of which will be at my house.

I will probably be getting some Belgian chocolate from clients for Christmas. I don't give that to the food bank so that will be my challenge - eating one piece a day.

I might even get down to goal ( but hey, miracles happen right?) by the end of 2009.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Question A suggestion

How about we break this thread into months? It's almost November so we could restart with a holiday thread for that and then again on Dec. 1?

A little easier to read/handle?

Dagmar
Old 10-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
How about we break this thread into months?
Dagmar
Sounds like a good idea! Somehow even though I only have 6 lbs. to go I think it may take a few months... *sigh*

Getting a little hungry so I better figure out lunch before I go crazy and eat everything in the kitchen.... Happy Halloween everyone!!
Closed Thread