Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-19-2009, 03:55 AM   #1  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

Smile A great fruit if you're craving sweets....

Kiwis!!! They're fantastic.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:02 AM   #2  
Meg

Yum, you're right!

One of the best parts about summer for me is all the fresh, delicious fruit. We'll get local strawberries in about three weeks and I can't wait!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ditto on the YUM factor. I've been making huge fruit salads for the weekend and these always go into it.

The strawberries have been FABULOUS here these past few weeks. And at a great price.

I had raspberries last week that were pure sugar. SOOOOO good. I am greatly looking forward to blueberries as well. They've been around, but at high prices. I'm waiting for them to drop a tad.

LOVE summer fruit.

But, I do need to watch myself with those cherries. I've been known to overindulge in them.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-19-2009 at 07:10 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #4  
Chuggin' along...

Kiwis are one of my go-to fruits when I want a "treat fruit". Actually if I'm bored of my food I'll make myself a big fruit salad as a treat, and always include kiwis, pineapple, and then whatever else is around. I do love them! I just read a gardening article about how they're really easy to grow and very productive, but you have to wait 1-3 years for them to start producing fruit. Otherwise I would run out and buy some plants right now. I can't wait 3 years - one day I will have my own house and grow kiwis and figs, if it's in this area of Florida!

Our strawberries here in Florida are done already! We had a good run from around Feb-March this year, though - that's when the fruits in central Florida are harvested. Of course we get great citrus throughout the winter. I just saw peaches in the store and at the farm stand this week. I didn't stop to check the sticker (still too expensive for me to buy), but they may be the first of our Georgia peaches. As we're so close to GA here we get a good run of delicious peaches in the spring too! Oh, and watermelon is starting to pop up here! I bought some of that this week - YUM. One of my favorite fruits from childhood.

Grilled pineapple and peaches are delicious! A great complement to a summer BBQ.

As Robin mentioned it's the price that usually dictates what fruit I'll buy. I try to buy what's in season, as it's less expensive, but will allow myself an occasional out-of-season treat if I'm really craving something sweet. I figure a $4 pineapple is the same price as a $4 carton of ice cream and much healthier.

I must really LOVE fruit, I can certainly go on about it for a long time!

Last edited by Megan1982; 05-19-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh, grilled pineapple! I like to jam in a few cinnamon sticks and a quartered vanilla bean into a pile of sliced pineapple, wrap in foil, and throw that on the grill. It gets all steamed and infused.

At our produce stand this week, I found local cherries, strawberries, peaches, AND apricots. The cherries are particularly amazing. Mmmm.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #6  
Workin' It

I've got to start buying more fruit... I love it, and it keeps me from eating bad stuff... i had fresh blueberries the week before last and ate some almost every day... I love kiwi...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #7  

Height: 5'11"

I went to a potluck over the weekend and I brought a big plate of fresh fruit. Pineapple, honeydew, strawberries, and kiwis. Everyone really ate it, but the kiwis were a huge hit. They were a little green (as in unripe, hehe), but people didn't seem to care. They scarfed them down.

I live in fruit growing country, but since we're way up north nothing will be coming off for awhile. But once it starts......cherries, apricots, peaches, pears, plums, nectarines, pears, apples......mmmmm. All fresh, right off the tree! I can't wait!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Oh, grilled pineapple! I like to jam in a few cinnamon sticks and a quartered vanilla bean into a pile of sliced pineapple, wrap in foil, and throw that on the grill. It gets all steamed and infused.
Amanda, I've actually used your "recipe" and it was a big hit. I baked it in the oven. Then at the end I broiled it for a few minutes to get it nice and carmelized. YUMM-E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I've got to start buying more fruit... I love it, and it keeps me from eating bad stuff... i had fresh blueberries the week before last and ate some almost every day... I love kiwi...
And I should probably STOP buying it . I've been eating waaaay too much of it.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

I bought fresh cherries this week - just have to careful not to eat too many at once. I count out 20 to bring for lunch.

Kiwis one of my very favorites.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Not a huge fan of kiwi - it's a texture issue. It's seedy and smushy and the skin is always problemmatic for me.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Hehe, my sister's apricot tree is about to come in. She actually changed plans to go see her daughter out of state so she wouldn't just entirely miss her apricots!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Not a huge fan of kiwi - it's a texture issue. It's seedy and smushy and the skin is always problemmatic for me.
I peel the skin off with a paring knife. I don't like them very soft though. Oddly enough, I don't enjoy them much on it's own. But I do like to add them into a fruit salad. It adds a lot of color and a bit of a different taste.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #13  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

Smile

I like this thread.

That pineapple recipe sounds really good!
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I peel the skin off with a paring knife.
I use a vegetable peel on mine. We will often slice one up and eat it with - but not in - cereal for breakfast, or it's good as a side for eggs as well. I prefer them firmer than soft.

We've been having some excellent pears lately as well. Green bartletts are what we're eating this week (along with cherries) and enjoying them a lot.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #15  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

The strawberries have been unbelievable here, I just want to eat them all!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote