Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #46  
Meg

Shannon, best of luck for your grandma's surgery today. All of you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sorry to fly by but I have to work an extra day today so am rushing to head out the door.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Hope your grandmother's surgery goes well today Shannon. And a big for you.

Interesting how hospitals (of all places) don't offer healthy food alternatives to those waiting for their loved ones. How about a fruit and salad bar beside the coffee shop? Or access to their cafeteria?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Unhappy Such a blah week.

This seems really whiny, trivial and selfish compared to what some others in this group are going through in their lives. But I'm going to say it once just to try to give myself the motivation to stop whining.

I've had a really unmotivated week. Lots of things that I'd hoped would change in the last 6 months haven't.

No plans for summer (DH won't know anything until June 16) except work, work, work. No vacation due to the loss of business income. That's a big kick in the head as I've used it in the past to motivate me with diet and healthy choices.

I'm physically healthy. But I need some sort of to get out of this sea of grey boredom I'm sinking into.

I don't seem to have anything to look forward to this summer. I already am uncomfortable about how I look in shorts but can't seem to rouse myself enough to change it.

If I keep eating the way I did this past week I won't fit into the shorts by the end of this month. I don't seem to really care about that, at least not enough to change it.

The one thing I continue to do is exercise. Off to stretch.

Have a great Friday all!

Dagmar ( of myself)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #49  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Good luck to your grandmother, Shannon!

Dagmar,

First comment: In the U.S., anyone can eat in hospital cafeterias--at least all the hospitals I've been in. You just walk in, get your food, pay your money. No one looks twice. In fact, one hospital I was in years ago had a "free food day."

Second comment: Gosh, Dagmar, you are at a weight now, according to your ticker, that I think I'll never see again! I was last there more than 20 years ago. I realize everything is relative, but give yourself credit, girl! What about some weekend trips during the summer, if you can't plan a big vacation? Those can be more fun, actually, because the pressure is off. And, are there books you've been waiting to read, movies you've been wanting to see, hobbies you have let go? Remember, even if you're feeling down in the dumps, eating is not the solution... Good for you for keeping up on your exercise!

Greetings to everyone else!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #50  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Shannon, I hope your grandmother's surgery goes well and she has a quick and complete recovery.

Our local hospital has a McDonald's inside. yay!

Dagmar, I am sorry you have the blues. I'm with Jay, though - eating is not going to make you feel better. Rocking your shorts will, though. Just sayin.' for you, too.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon,
Good luck today with your grandma. I'll be thinking of you.

Dagmar-- I'm with Jay. Why don't you make a list of things that you would like to do this summer that are free or cheap. Particular books you want to read, hikes you want to try, nearby landmarks you've never visited, going on a picnic, a new grocery store to visit......etc.....

Anyone grilled fruit for dessert before? Thinking of adding it to our Memorial Day menu but I've never done it before. Any recipes or tips?

I had a bad dream last night that woke me up way earlier than I needed to get up. I dreamed that my dd told us she weighed almost 300 pounds. I don't really know what she weighs, but I know it isn't that much. We are doing an excursion on our cruise and the maximum weight is 250, and I think I was worrying that she might be that much (I'm pretty sure she is less), and she would be embarrassed. Sigh.... She is working with a personal trainer and looks better-- she leaves for her summer camp job in a week-- I think I'm just worried about her. I'm also worried about my friend's health, and other issues....wish I wasn't such a worrier. My back is killing me!!

I had the most fun at the gym last night though (despite my back hurting me!). I usually take latin dance and love it but our instructor wasn't there and we had a sub. She did the class as a dance/hip hop class and taught us a really fun dance. I was psyched that I could figure it out and remember it-- with my old brain I felt like it was good brain exercise and body exercise to remember the steps!! Most of the gym's classes are cancelled Monday but this instructor has a different dance class so I may try that. I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend-- plans anyone?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #52  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Shannon, I hope you're grandmother's surgery goes well.

Dagmar - Can you make some plans for day trips this summer? Or maybe a weekend trip somewhere close by? I don't recall where in Canada you live. DH doesn't want to take any vacations because of $$ as well but I talked him into a weekend in Michigan, which won't cost too much since it's close and we can drive.

The bridal shower went okay last night. I stuck to water to drink and carrot sticks/veggies and hummus from the appetizers, then dinner was very small individual make-your-own pizzas (very small like 4 inches diameter), and MIL had whole wheat dough so I got one that was wheat dough with a tiny bit of cheese and a pile of veggies. I almost made it out clean, but I let myself get talked into a piece of cake. Weight is up today, but it's also TOM so I know it's water.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Shannon, hope the surgery goes well and that she's back home soon. Bummer about the cafeteria. Where I lived in Colorado, the hospital cafeteria was so good (homemade soups, homemade bread, salad and sandwich bars) and cheap that my work group would go there for lunch once a week.

Dagmar, sorry you're feeling so blue. Hopefully you'll find something that will motivate you to either move forward or stay the same. Everyone is touting "staycations"--how about one of those for a little relaxation?

Michelle, that class sounds like fun. What a nightmare you had! My stepdaughter does weigh 300+--it's hard seeing your kids having health issues associated with weight.

Jessica, WTG at the bridal shower! One piece of cake is certainly nothing and the other choices were so good.

Taking my cat to the vet again. She vomited Wednesday night, didn't eat at all Thursday, and isn't eating today. I checked out her gum, and they look kind of white, which I think is an indication of dehydration.

Speaking of animals, the shelter I volunteer at got in a 53 lb. Jack Russell terrier on Tuesday. He looks like an ottoman--definitely the fattest little dog I've seen, and we do get in some fat ones. Makes me wonder what the owner looks like because I think there is a correlation, although maybe not.

Did anyone read the article about people who play bridge having a lower incidence of dementia even into their 90s? I'm signing up for classes!

Have a wonderful, sunny, warm and fun weekend, everyone!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

OMG!~a 53 pound Jack Russell? Aren't they supposed to be more like 13 pounds? Yikes! Can it even walk?

Shannon~I hope everything goes well with your grandmother's surgery. My Mom had quad bypass at the age of 79 and at 83 had a valve replaced and both times she got through the procedure just fine.

Dagmar~

michele~I went to pick up DD's stuff at college yesterday and I know she's gained even more. I know she can't be over 180 but she's on 5'6" and she still stuffs herself into her size 10 jeans. Talk about stuffing! It can't be comfortable. But she's looking forward to getting home, using the treadmill and taking her tennis class. That and my diet kick should help her. I hope your daughter does well at camp and continues to lose. She'll be very busy as a counselor! Hopefully the food will be terrible and she won't eat much of it! My DD went to a camp where the food was terrible and after only 2 weeks she had lost 10 pounds (there was also a lot of activity).

Jessica~very good of you at the shower! WTG!!

On the subject of hospital cafeterias: I worked in two hospitals and at the first one the only thing I ever ventured to eat was the soup which was obviously mass produced and extremely salty. That always bothered me--why would they buy such salty soup? The second one had a great breakfast bar which became a salad bar at lunch. They had a lot of really good choices, but equally as many bad choices. I compare them both to a bad school lunch cafeteria. The BEST cafeteria I EVER at ate was at Ross Perot's business in Texas. Amazing, wonderful, healthy and tasty choices--too many to choose from every day.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #55  
one bite at a time

S/C/G: 180/134/123

Height: 5' 3.75"

Hey there,

Shannon thinking and praying for you and your family today.

My biopsy results came back normal, and my dad was released from the hospital yesterday afternoon! I like good news. You know the saying "It took a weight off my shoulders", well it seems to be more than a saying for me today, the scale was down a pound today from yesterday.

Sheila, that's one ROUND doggy! You should snap a picture and post it. Interesting about bridge - I wonder if it's just anything that forces your mind to work harder, or something specific about bridge?

Jessica, great job at the bridal shower!

Michele, sorry your back hurts. I hate bad dreams. Mine are getting better, but still weird. The dance class sounds fun. I like to dance but I'm not good at remembering steps, or even being able to get them right when shown. Still it's fun. I've tried to talk DH into going to some lessons sometime. He doesn't sound thrilled, but he'd go if I said please.

Dagmar, First, no apologies for talking about what's on your mind today. We're all in different places and have to deal with what's on our plate. Yesterday one of the twins was upset b/c we couldn't take their bikes to school on "bike day", and I was telling her it's okay to feel sad - whether it's a big thing like Ryan dying, or a smaller thing like being sad about the bike - our feelings are just as real and we need to talk about them with people who care. As far as the blues - I can relate, sometimes it just seems like I can't work up the effort to even begin to care about what I eat or my weight. I hate that! Sometimes it helps me to get out of that funk if I try on some of my cute smaller clothes then go out somewhere like a even just a walk in the park or something. Also, all the other ideas about trying to plan little inexpensive outings sound good. Hang in there!

I better get some work done. It's a beautiful sunny Friday here, and I'm going to try and sneak out of here early if I can get enough work done.

Have a great weekend!
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #56  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Sheila, a 53-lb jack russell?!?! OMG! I think that might just qualify as animal cruelty! DH's parents' dog looked like a big fat sausage for a while but they finally whittled her down to size and she looks much healthier now (and has regained her girlish figure!). I hope your cat is okay.

Shanna, so glad to hear about your biopsy and your dad! What a relief.

I have to jump in on the college-aged daughters gaining weight, because not so long ago I was that daughter. I don't know the dynamics of your family, but I have to say from my own experience, the best thing you can do if you are worried about your daughter's weight is to set a good example. Any time my parents mentioned my weight to me all I wanted to do was go drown myself in junk food. Chances are your kids know that they are overweight and are already upset about it. It's especially hard to lose weight or avoid gaining when all your meals are at an all-you-can-eat buffet! If they really are motivated to lose weight, they will do it when they are out of the dorms and into the real world, but chances of losing weight while at school are slim to none.

Last edited by paperclippy; 05-22-2009 at 01:59 PM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #57  
Working My Way Back Down

Shannon - joining everyone else in prayers/thoughts that your grandmother's surgery goes well.

Quote:
Interesting about bridge - I wonder if it's just anything that forces your mind to work harder, or something specific about bridge?
I've read several articles about this (since I'm 64, this is very relevan to me ) and the key seems to be not just keeping your mind busy - though that's good - but actually learning new things which challenges your brain. Best of all, so I've read, is something that engages you both mentally and physically, like learning to play the piano, or golf, but something new, not something you're done all along (though that's not bad, and certainly better than vegging in front of the TV ). Bridge would certainly qualify to challenge your brain - at least it would mine. I took piano lessons as a kid, and I'd like to get back to being able to actually play. If all goes well, I'll retire next May or June - right now I have so many things I want to do my days will be full.

Michelle - Both Amanda and RockinRobin grill fruit and might have some ideas for you.

Last edited by WaterRat; 05-22-2009 at 02:05 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shanna-- I am also so happy to hear your good news. You deserve some.

Thank you Jessica for your perspective. My dd definitely knows she is overweight. No surprise there. We are trying really hard to set good examples and not focus on her weight. We are more concerned because she keeps gaining weight steadily. If she stayed put weight wise I would worry less, but I am worried her health will be adversely affected if she keeps putting weight on (and her mental health too). I am very hopeful she will lose some weight this summer and start to feel like it is possible to lose weight, which could maybe motivate her through next year. She has been to the doctor who found no reason for weight gain (she was on anti-depressants that "helped" her gain 50 pounds, but she's been off of them over a year and continued to gain-- that just got the ball rolling). She sees what I am doing to keep my weight off. I am trying to make sure she sees that I eat a lot and I eat delicious foods-- I'm hoping she will see that it is possible for her too.

Personally, I am having a "thin" day today. Love those days! The scale is cooperating, the pants are loose..... I'm hoping to keep it off for tomorrow morning's weigh in-- my weights were up the last two weigh in's.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Thought I'd fly by and post a photo of the fat Jack Russell, poor guy. He looks so sad and uncomfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fatjack.jpg (16.3 KB, 31 views)
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #60  
No description available.

Man, I remember how he must feel. Poor little guy!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote