Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #16  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Robin, gotta laugh - your post is sticking with me. As I prepared breakfast this morning - a rare Saturday morning when I have the house all to myself, I contemplated my choices. What did I really WANT to eat. The winner was Fiber One with homemade yogurt.No added sweetener, no added anything.

Your post was an excellent reminder of just how far we have come, how much we have changed. What an exciting and uplifting thought
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
I contemplated my choices. What did I really WANT to eat. The winner was Fiber One with homemade yogurt.No added sweetener, no added anything.
Yumm. A little taste of heaven. Sounds like an absolute winner to me.

And on this lovely Saturday morning, I was just enjoying the sweetest most delicious fresh raspberries. I could not get over just how yummy they were. The sad part, I don't even think I've ever tasted a fresh raspberry until I "changed my lifestyle". Gosh, I was missing out on so much.

We have come pretty far, haven't we? And I LOVE it.

But do me a favor, will you - try, just try and leave cheesecake outta this, will ya? Just kidding. That's something I will not banish from my life. Though I don't think I'll be eating it more then a few times a year. And I'm perfectly okay with it. Perfectly. I've got my roasted veggies and other great goodies to eat on a daily basis.

Enjoy your Saturday morning solitude.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 231/156/150

Height: 5'8''

cheesecake is in another category for me, too. Always only a few times a year, if that--maybe only once...

UNLESS--it is offered at a party in a tiny bite-size square. Then, I have one. One bite, and I turn around before it turns into an avalanche.

My fiance and I are both food conscious (so we really enjoy the occasional treat), and our first new year's eve together we went to Atlanta, stayed in a hotel there. Our big event that night was that we went to Publix supermarket, bought a mini marble cheesecake, and ate the whole thing. No dinner, nothing else...just the cheesecake. We said to ourselves, we only do this once in a great while, so let's have fun. We...um...both got tummy-aches, sugar highs, then crashed and fell dead alseep, and now we remember that night every time the itch to get a whole mini cheese-cake strikes us. Lately, the only time we get cheesecake is at a restaurant, and we share a slice. (aren't we sooo virtuous??? More like: once burned, twice shy, lol)

I enjoy the tastes and textures of food now more than ever--and it amazes me when I choose my home-made granola (raw rolled oats, wheat germ, unprocessed bran, almond slivers, dried fruit) over the sugary cereals, french toast and waffles I used to love. Well...I still love french toast and waffles. Now I try to make my own versions of those foods so I can still have them every once in a while.

Broccoli and I are cautious friends. Sometimes I really love it. Sometimes not. I do love asparagus, which I NEVER, in a million years, would have thought possible in my pre-healthy life. Wonders never do cease...

Oh, and something you said caught my eye...you thought to yourself..."what do I WANT to eat?"

I never realized how much I didn't ask myself this question before...Now when I prepare a meal, I try to spend sometime actually thinking about what I really want to eat. Then, I make it. And I find my meals are more healthy, enjoyable, and sensible because I really thought about it, and I'm being deliberate about what foods are going on the plate. Sometimes my combination is strange. I am not making a "form" dinner (like my mom used to make...burgers always have buns and are eaten with french fries. Pancakes must have syrup and be eaten with eggs, eggs have to be eaten with bacon or sausage, cereal needs toast, toast needs jam, spaghetti always has sauce with ground beef mixed in, etc). Now I know I can build a breakfast around yogurt and fruit or oatmeal & an egg-white omelet. My Fiber One pancakes can be eaten with strawberries and reduced-fat cream cheese. I am much more creative with food now, and much more satisfied after eating because of it.

Your post reminded me that if I really ask myself what I want, I can often be trusted to choose right.

Last edited by littletortugalover; 05-09-2009 at 11:52 PM.
littletortugalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #19  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

How do you make your Fiber One pancakes?

I have recently been experimenting with my a new waffle maker. I bought the McDaddy of them--the kind hotels use! LOL..anyway, I love the things I load into the batter--pureed carrots, pumpkin, whole wheat flour, golden flaxseed, hempmilk, soymilk--the possibilities are endless. Anyway, tell me about your pancakes.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I enjoy broccoli more then cookies!

I know! It's crazy, but it's the truth!

Yesterday I made a huge tray of roasted broccoli before I left to work. Of course I had to have a nibble and thought, "man this is good, I think I'll throw caution to the wind and veer off plan a little and take some to work." How adventurous am I?

I get to work. I couldn't hold out. The broccoli was calling my name. And I answered. I had it almost right away. There were about 8 nice sized stalks in there. They were the perfect consistency. A cross between melt in your mouth, but still with a little crunch to it. Oh and the flavors - perfection - nailed the amounts - chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic powders and a touch of salt. It was really, really good. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I got to thinking. Not sure why, but it just popped into my little head. Imagine if I had just downed 8 cookies? I'd be in a sugar stupor. I would have totally shot my calorie budget, gained weight for sure and been completely and totally p*%*#d at myself. Oh the guilt and that horrible "why the heck did I do that for" feeling. But no, I ate that (off plan) broccoli - enjoyed the heck out of it - and had ZERO guilt. ZERO. Was totally satisfied. Got some good nutrients in there. All is good.

I could not say that if I had just eaten 8 cookies. Or even 4. Or less.

So then I start to think some more - okay - I enjoyed it immensely, but does it actually taste better then cookies???? One of my all time favorites.

Now keep in mind, I haven't had a cookie in a while. I've been POP for about 3 weeks now. Even longer then that since I had an actual cookie. So, of course, my wants for cookies (& other sweets) is again at a low. But never the less, could it be that broccoli - broccoli - actually TASTES better to me then cookies? Cookies?

I can't decide. They're completely different tastes.

Whether in the end I should decide that cookies do taste better then broccoli, it doesn't change the fact that I enjoy the broccoli more. Much more.

I've said it soooo many times, that I really love the foods that I'm eating now. Because I do. But more then cookies? Isn't that cool?

I did the roasted broccolli yesterday. YUM! My house had the scent of the Indian buffet--I really went crazy with the cumin and curry! YUM.

I did roasted carrots today. I am still trying to get the complete HANG of them. Does anyone know if I can get them crisp like a potato chip and if so HOW? What seasonings should I be using? Today I used Mrs. Dash and cinnamon and curry. It was okay. I am wondering if plain salt would be better.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #21  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I did the roasted broccolli yesterday. YUM! My house had the scent of the Indian buffet--I really went crazy with the cumin and curry! YUM.

I did roasted carrots today. I am still trying to get the complete HANG of them. Does anyone know if I can get them crisp like a potato chip and if so HOW? What seasonings should I be using? Today I used Mrs. Dash and cinnamon and curry. It was okay. I am wondering if plain salt would be better.
I personally despise curry. I know so many of you like it. Maybe I should try it again. It's been years since I have had it.

I make roasted carrots. I don't get them crisp like a potato chip, that's for sure. More like the broccoli. A bit soft, yet a little crisp. I use the same spices as I do for the broccoli - onion, garlic and chili powders, and cumin. Lots of cooking spray. Yumm.

Oh and we just had a huge enormous tray of roasted broccoli for dinner. Sooo good. Along with chicken marsala and a red cabbage/carrot/mandarin orange/slivered almond salad. I made rice too, but I only had about a tablespoon of it.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #22  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

The only way I can get carrots "crisper" is to toss them in olive oil, instead of spraying them.

I like either Mrs. Dash, Adobo, or even some of my "grill" seasonings. I have a spicy chicken seasoning (bought it at Sam's Club) that is quite good on carrots.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 231/156/150

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
How do you make your Fiber One pancakes?

I have recently been experimenting with my a new waffle maker. I bought the McDaddy of them--the kind hotels use! LOL..anyway, I love the things I load into the batter--pureed carrots, pumpkin, whole wheat flour, golden flaxseed, hempmilk, soymilk--the possibilities are endless. Anyway, tell me about your pancakes.
I sometimes put raisins or cinnamon in it. I have also tried walnuts and chocolate chips(not exactly health food, but...). I like sugar-free syrup, or cream cheese, fresh fruit, yogurt or peanut butter and honey. I love these pancakes because they are high fiber and taste really good--I have experimented a lot with making whole wheat pancakes, low carb pancakes...they all taste horrid to me. I haven't tried mixing other things in--but I do have flax seed, maybe I should try that. I use soy milk a lot but I haven't put it in pancakes yet. I have also made sweet potato pancakes, but it was a while ago. I love sweet potato...your addition of pumpkin sounds tantalizing...
littletortugalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletortugalover View Post
I sometimes put raisins or cinnamon in it. I have also tried walnuts and chocolate chips(not exactly health food, but...). I like sugar-free syrup, or cream cheese, fresh fruit, yogurt or peanut butter and honey. I love these pancakes because they are high fiber and taste really good--I have experimented a lot with making whole wheat pancakes, low carb pancakes...they all taste horrid to me. I haven't tried mixing other things in--but I do have flax seed, maybe I should try that. I use soy milk a lot but I haven't put it in pancakes yet. I have also made sweet potato pancakes, but it was a while ago. I love sweet potato...your addition of pumpkin sounds tantalizing...

Oh--okay. I am guessing the Fiber One pancakes are from the store then? I was thinking it was a recipe.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I will be out of town for a few days, wiil be back Friday. I am going to a land where there are no scales and diet is a four letter word.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #26  
Tammy

S/C/G: 211/209/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
[B]Oh and the flavors - perfection - nailed the amounts - chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic powders and a touch of salt. It was really, really good.
Robin, first question, fresh or frozen, or either?
Second question, what type of flavor do you get when you use these combination of spices? Do you mix them all together then sprinkle on the broccoli? How is it cooked? Sorry to sound so stupid, but I've never made broccoli like this, and it sounds interesting.

Robin, I didn't select this post to email me if posted to, and I don't even know how I got to this part of the forum, lol.... can you pm me what I asked please... as well as post it here for everyone. Thanks!

Last edited by ladyviv; 06-19-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: last part for pm'ing purposes
ladyviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #27  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyviv View Post
Robin, first question, fresh or frozen, or either?
Second question, what type of flavor do you get when you use these combination of spices? Do you mix them all together then sprinkle on the broccoli? How is it cooked? Sorry to sound so stupid, but I've never made broccoli like this, and it sounds interesting.
Here's the so-called recipe that I gave earlier in this very thread, cut and pasted:

Recipe? Hmmm. There's no real recipe. I use a large cookie sheet. Cover it with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray. Lay the broccoli on there, not overlapping if possible. Then I spice it up - garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin and a hit of salt. Then I spray it with the cooking spray generously. Oven is at 400 degrees and I probably leave it in there for about 15 minutes, maybe 20. I like it soft-ish, yet still firm. Yumm-O.

And I always use fresh veggies. I sprinkle the spices right on the broccoli, no mixing. Experiment. Find out how you like it best, which consistency and which spices. It may take a few times till you get it down pat, but when you do - FANTASTIC.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #28  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Ms Rockinrobin -- if you were here, I'd make you the BEST. CURRY. EVER. Full of low fat goodness with tons of flavor and none of the gross fatty and spicy taste that alot of commercial curry sauces have...
My dad was born in India and his second language is Hindustani (not bad for a 77 year old white guy with blue eyes!!!) and he lived there for 16 years, so I come by my curries honestly...
You MIGHT want to try dal and rice -- a traditional side-dish made with lentils and no curry flavor. But it IS traditional! Here is the recipe:

Soak some red lentils (MUST be red lentils) in water overnight OR rinse the lentils with hot, hot water until the water runs clear. Drain well. The amount depends on how much dal you want! Seriously!
Finely mince up one onion.
On medium heat, melt 1 tbsp of butter OR 1 tbsp olive oil OR spray well with PAM, and sautee the onion until soft. You can even cook the onion in a bit of water to soften it up without adding fat. Don't crisp the onion up, just cook until soft.
Add the drained red lentils, and enough water to cover the lentils an inch or so. Bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce heat and simmer. Keep checking the lentils because you don't want them dry -- you want them simmering in water. After about 30-45 minutes of simmering, add 2 tbsp of ketchup, 1 tsp salt, pepper to taste and stir well. Then, take a hand blender and puree the mix. It doesn't have to be smooth, just it should form a thick sauce. If you can afford the calories, stir in 2 or 3 tbsp of butter in, too, as this makes it taste rich. But I don't do this very often as it tastes just fine without...
Serve over hot basmati rice.

MMMmmm -- not the traditional dal recipe, but for my diet, it is FULL of fiber, protein, balanced carbs, is low-fat, and quick to reheat for a super-filling meal.

Just don't add broccoli to this!!! hahahaha!!!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-19-2009 at 08:42 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #29  
3 + years maintaining

Kira that DOES sound good.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Default Awesome Broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
I'm envious. Broccoli is awesome, but I still like cookies better.

Anne
Anne, I'm with you, I guess that is why I have had to diet ! Too many cookies !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote