Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #1  

Default You People Rock!

I just wanted to thank all of you for what you share on this forum. I've done the try/fail thing any number of times. I'm trying to do something different this time around and that's to think like a maintainer. I may as well adopt that attitude now as I'm going to need it eventually.

By sharing your stories, struggles and profound insight, you've helped me accept that slow and steady will eventually win the race. I'm finally getting past beating myself up for not feeling 'motivated' all the time. I decided it's okay to 'sprint' at weight loss when I do feel motivated (like now) but also slow it down an maintain for awhile when I don't. I've always known that the secret to 'winning' is doing what is needed when you DON'T feel like it.

I've learned that there is no hurry because there is no finish line. Even if I lope along and it takes me 3 years to get all the weight off, well, big deal. I'll be spending the rest of my years keeping it off so I may as well make changes I can live with long-term.

I read a statistic that 70% of people who lose a significant amount of weight (I think it was like 50 lbs.) do so with the help of a 'program' like Nutrisystem etc. but 70% of those who KEEP it off, lost the weight on their own. We all have to figure out what works for us.

So thanks for helping me as I learn to think like a maintainer rather than a 20 lb. yo-yoer. In 2 more pounds I'll be smaller than I've been in 5 years. I'm going to celebrate each little advancement because it's better than I've been. I'm going to ignore that little voice in my head that tells me anything less than a loss of 2 lbs. per week isn't good enough. Or that if I don't do everything perfectly then there's no point in doing it at all.

Basically, I'm doing a lot of things backwards from how I've done it before and it's because of what you all are teaching me. Thank you. It's helping more than I'll ever be able to tell you. Not with the weight loss but with the attitude I need to develop if I'm ever going to become a maintainer.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

WTG!

This site has helped me tremendously also- it makes me feel good on my bad days- and when others are having a bad day I try to chime right in with good thoughts

This site has made me realize I don't have to quit!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #3  

You are so welcome and what a touching post! I feel the same way about all the ladies on here. And what is also awesome is that when something new and exciting comes out you never get left in the dark because everyone is talking about it. There are some tough ladies on here and they know what works and what hasn't and can help the rest of us know what works and what doesn't. Oh, and let's not forget all the success stories!!! i find them the most inspiring!!! Think of the women who have lost 100 lbs or more and look AMAZING!!! On days I don't feel great I think of them, and even though they had bigger mountains to climb, BY GOD, they climbed them and stood proudly at the tops, flag waving skinny women who kicked their own butts.

Anyway, keep at it. I am just starting back here too and man i am learning a lot and getting inspired to kick my own butt every day. THANK YOU ALL!

Last edited by LanMyers; 01-22-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling
LanMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #4  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I agree. This place rocks
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Our maintainers are a HUGE part of my success story. I don't think I could have done this without them. They are a blessing to all of us!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #6  
No description available.

I could not have lost and kept off the weight without this maintainers forum.

I know I always say this, but when I read Meg's statement that her life now looks a lot like her life when she was losing, it was like being hit in the head with a 2X4 (in a good way!). You mean, if I go back to my old habits, I'll gain the weight back?? That meant that I had to find a way of eating and moving that I could sustain for the rest of my life. No crash diets, no radical superlow calorie nutrition plans. Eat healthy, lift heavy, run fast. No skipping meals, punishing myself, or giving up. Day after day after day.

Oh, yeah, no illusions of perfection either.

I don't have enough words to lavish my gratitude on this forum.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:21 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'll never forget when I first found this site, just a couple of weeks into my journey and then this very forum. I was SO excited. "A maintainer, what a concept" I said to myself, "I'm going to be here one day. THIS is where I want to be."

What an unbelievable tool and asset this place is. I feel like I have my very own entire, extremely supportive and knowledgeable team right here with me. Day in and day out. Fighting the good fight, right along side me. How cool! I know for sure it has already greatly helped me and will continue to do so.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

bindersbee You've summed up perfectly what maintenance is all about. I'm going to print your post for my fridge! I have all this stuff kinda running around in my head but have never formally organized my thoughts about it.

Thank You! And thanks to all the wonderful people who share their insights, experiences, and information on this entire site.

3FC Rocks!!!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

That is so awesome! I'm never sure what a new dieter will think when they find this forum. Will they be horrified that we still struggle every day? Will they be inspired that we still struggle every day? Maybe "struggle" is the wrong word - fight, maybe? It was a real eye opener to me the day I figured out that the story wasn't "I will lose weight, the end." The story is more "I will lose weight and continue my healthy habits without end."
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

We stay aware of the choices we are making and their consequences, every day.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
That is so awesome! I'm never sure what a new dieter will think when they find this forum. Will they be horrified that we still struggle every day? Will they be inspired that we still struggle every day? Maybe "struggle" is the wrong word - fight, maybe? It was a real eye opener to me the day I figured out that the story wasn't "I will lose weight, the end." The story is more "I will lose weight and continue my healthy habits without end."
You summed up my feelings so eloquently.

When people ask me how I lost weight, it's difficult to say 1) it took me four years, and 2) I have to continue to eat the way I was eating or I'll be back up to 261 in probably less than four years. So many don't want to hear that, but it's wonderful when someone really gets it
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
This is so true. I never know if I'll scare someone off when I tell them, I'm still: tracking calories, exercising frequently, eating mostly "clean", fighting urges, yada, yada, yada. But the that's what I AM doing. And hey, they DID ask . But I do think the sooner that someone knows, the sooner they can wrap their brains around it, accept it and DO IT.

Very often (especially here at 3FC), I of course then go on to tell them how worth it is. And how it's no burden and how I believe life was intended to be all along. And that my life is sooo much richer and fuller and happier. And that I wouldn't go back to my old life for ANY money in the world. And just how worth it is. Oh I said that already. Probably because I just want EVERYONE to really, really, REALLY know - that it's incredibly, incredibly WORTH IT!!!!

Have I made myself clear?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Have I made myself clear?
Crystal!!

If they get scared, then they aren't ready. But hopefully, if they aren't ready, they stick around long enough to let it sink in a little bit

Nowhere on this site will you find the story Glory mentioned of "Lose weight, the end". It's such a fine illustration of what this journey truly consists of and again, how WORTH IT it all is!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote