Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #1  
Chuggin' along...

Default My post-Christmas/holiday pledge!

I got home from my holiday travels Sunday night/Monday morning. I ate terribly while I was gone, but pretty easily transitioned right back into my healthy habits when I got back. Except... there is still a little bit of Christmas candy in the office. Oh and my neighbors gave me some last night. Oh and... yeah. Each day I've had a few pieces. And I don't. Need. Them. These little BLTs of candy are going to add up and not help me get back to my pre-Christmas weight of 146! (Right now I'm at 150... yes, I gained 4 lbs. over 2 weeks.)

Therefore I pledge not to eat any more of the "leftovers" from the holidays. Is anyone else having this problem?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Not yet, but I always have post-holiday issues when I let down my guard. I'm going to be vigilant this year.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Megan - almost exactly. Almost EXACTLY in your position right now. And my wife won't let me throw away the dark chocolate balls (darn it). So we'll have to muddle through together.

I'm joining you on your pledge. No more candy leftovers!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Count me in. The leftover candy that is hidden in the closet will REMAIN in the closet until these lbs are gone.

My weight yoyo-ed all over the place this past year, and ended up 3lbs higher than it started.

I pledge to be ON PLAN 100% until I am back to my goal weight.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I just dumped oodles and oodles of holiday leftover frozen Snickerdoodles into the garbage pail. But first I drowned them in water.

I have been having an excellent week - up until this afternoon. After having a little ummm, disagreement with my very stubborn daughter, I thought it would be a good idea to calm myself by taking *just one*.

Now how to deal with the family when they wonder where all those leftover, thin, crisp, melt in your mouth cookies went. Any suggestions?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-02-2009 at 05:08 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Chocolate is just as good frozen , maybe even better when it comes to Lindt truffles.

I asked Santa for the smallest possible bag in my stocking and got 3 pieces. Just right for Christmas Day dessert. No way am I ever throwing out good chocolate - that's about the only "food sin" in my repertoire.

Dagmar (chocoholics R us)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #7  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Now how to deal with the family when they wonder where all those leftover, thin, crisp, melt in your mouth cookies went. Any suggestions?
Your family knows you pretty well, and you're comfortable with them, right? So why not just say "I threw they away. I too tempted by them." Knowing you and your history, isn't that something they'd understand? If they want cookies, they can make them their darn selves!

Once I was given the responsibility of bringing cookies from an event that I'd had to get the food ready for to work the next day. I tried to get everyone else to take them, but nobody would take them. I felt bad throwing them away, so I took them in my car. And ate them. All. (That was... 20? cookies) The next day everyone kept coming in, in front of everyone else, asking if there were any more cookies left. I just said "No." and "they're gone" over and over. Boy was I embarrassed and ashamed. I should have just thrown them away!

I haven't had any candy since Thursday, thanks to this thread. Came back in to the office Friday afternoon really wanting some and I sat down and saw that some of you were going through the same thing. Instead I went to the gym. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Okay, I ate and drank a bit too much last night at our cooking club. But, I think the fact that I ate 2500 calories total yesterday, as compared to 3150 at the last one, is a victory. I would have been under 2000 if I had not succumbed to seconds on dessert and so much alcohol though.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #9  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I, too, am still up about 4 lbs from the holiday indulgences. I went totally overboard on the pie, chocolate, etc. I even pigged out (gasp, horrors) at a Pizza hut lunch buffet!! It actually felt good to get back into my usual routine, I feel as though I got some of those cravings out of my system, for a little while, at least. I have some running races coming up very soon, and those extra pounds really slow me down. I have to get back to my "fighting weight" to perform my best, so that's helping to keep me in line, for the moment!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thank goodness my house is leftover free (except for a little ham which I plan on having with eggs for dinner this week). I'm actually going to bite the bullet and change my stats so they reflect my true weight. Yup, I've now got 20 pounds to lose to get back to goal.

I join you with my pledge:
--no seconds
--no BLT's while cooking (actually, I bought some carrots and pea pods to snack on for this reason)
--track all food/drink/exercise in my notebook (I think I'm giving up on fitday for now)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

We are starting day 3 of no chocolate balls, even though they're right in the front of the cabinet, staring at me. I made Sarah tell me last night that they weren't mine, they were HERS, and she'd be mad if I ate them. the games we play.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Your family knows you pretty well, and you're comfortable with them, right? So why not just say "I threw they away. I too tempted by them." Knowing you and your history, isn't that something they'd understand? If they want cookies, they can make them their darn selves!
Well, it came up. Sunday morning. My youngest (17 years old next week ) told me she was looking for them Saturday night. I was out. I told her that I was having a big issue with them during the previous week. And I told her sorry, honey, I HAD to dump them. She laughed, not in a mean way. She understood. She was very sweet about it. Didn't make me feel bad at all about it. She (& all her sisters) would do anything to keep their mother at a healthy weight. I am very fortunate. They've had to grow up with a morbidly obese mom. And now they've got a fit and trim one. Not only do *I* worry much less now, but they do as well.

And Amanda, games are GREAT. Lifesavers in fact.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #13  
Chuggin' along...

See, that wasn't bad Robin! What a supportive family you have.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #14  
No description available.

I think we take food way more seriously than our family members who have not had weight problems. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I am totally aware of sweets in the house, where they are, how fresh they are, how many there are. The rest of the family couldn't care less. We had a leftover pecan pie at Thanksgiving (see, I am still aware of this $*#((%B pie!) that sat, and sat, and sat....Old me would have had a sliver many times a day until it was gone. I did not have any, and no one else did either. I finally tossed it and no one missed it, or if they did, not enough to comment. My family members are not upset or annoyed or even slightly miffed if they don't get in on cookie action.....I'm the one who is constantly aware. They might ask, but, like Robin's kids, not be upset about it.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Well, I don't have to worry about any sweets hanging around my house - DH takes care of all of them. He's so skinny, and has a very high metabolism (which is why the cats love him - he's very warm to the touch all the time) that he can afford to have them. He is much fussier than he used to be though, and prefers homemade goodies. I try to make ones I don't like.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote