Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-28-2008, 01:06 AM   #1  

Default thicker hair after weight loss?

Hey ladies,
for all of you who have lost weight and have maintained it for some months now, do you find that your hair is thicker than it used to be before the weight loss?

When I was about 70-80 lbs overweight, I had thin hair. It wasn't extremely noticeable, but my "part" was very visible, especially under bright lighting. It remained that way throughout my weight loss. About two months after I maintained my new weight however, I noticed the part was barely visible and that my hair felt thicker. I thought it was my imagination until some people commented on it.

Anyone else have that experience? It must be a hormonal thing, but if it is a common side effect it should be listed as one of the benefits of weight loss

feel free to share your experiences!
bucketofbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I wish! My thin, stick straight hair is still the same. It's always been "skinny" and remains so. Lucky you!

Love your 3FC name - I was that name until the weight came off. Talk about "spot" reducing .

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Maybe it's better nutrition?

I have always had thick hair and even at age 55, I have to have it thinned out when I get it cut.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketofbutts View Post
About two months after I maintained my new weight however, I noticed the part was barely visible and that my hair felt thicker. I thought it was my imagination until some people commented on it.
Oh boy, I sure hope that happens to me.

I've always had lots of hair. Fine hair, but lots of it. For the last number of years, it's been thinning. A lot. I recently noticed a bunch of short hairs at my temples. It looks *really* funny, but I'm hoping it means I'm growing more hair again.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I've always had baby fine hair. And I still have baby fine hair.

I've never heard of hair getting thicker, in fact I'd always hearht that losing a lot of weight could result in hair thinning. So, I was kind of pleased that that didn't happen to me and that my baby fine hair is still in tact.

Thicker hair? Lucky girl. I'm envious.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I have always had very thick hair, but I noticed when losing weight that I was losing more hair than I ever had before. It never made enough of a difference than anyone could see it, but I saw it on my pillow, in my hairbrush and in the drain. It seemed to stop after the first several months of weight loss, though, and now I still have very thick hair, requiring a pretty massive thinning at each hair cut.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #7  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Nope, oh how I WISH!
My hair is extra thin and baby fine too. I can't live without HAIRSPRAY for poofing up my hair!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Sounds to me like it might be better nutrition, vs. just losing weight. I already have pretty thick hair, but I know when I'm eating on plan, my hair is much shinier and healthier looking. Getting enough healthy fats is really key for my skin and hair.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #9  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

I'm in agreement with Sheila and PhotoChick on this one.

Let me also say LUCKY YOU!!!

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the whole hair loss thing and what you have experienced is somewhat atypical. Loss and regrowth, some full regrowth/others thinner, is more the norm, not hair thickening.

Wooo hooo for your good nutrition!! What wonderful validation of your self care

Last edited by kittycat40; 12-29-2008 at 09:58 AM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #10  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Like everyone else, I'd say it's probably from good nutrition!

My hair thinned after weight loss, then started falling out. Turned out I had hypothyroidism. It's finally growing in thicker now that I've been on thyroid meds for a year!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #11  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I've never heard of hair getting thicker, in fact I'd always hearht that losing a lot of weight could result in hair thinning.
Mine stopped being so oily, which is nice, but falls out, which isn't. I eat protein, healthy fats, and lots of vitamin-filled veges, but to no avail.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #12  
WW for Life

S/C/G: 289.4/149/164 - Per.Goal 139

Height: 5'8"

You are doing great to have thicker hair. I had a ton of hair but it has thinned out a lot since I have lost weight. My hairdresser says my hair got skinny too.
Bobiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #13  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

I Would love some thick hair!!!!!!!!! I HAVE TO REPEAT EVRYONE WHO HAS SAID IT AND SAY "LUCKY YOU."
ENJOY!You can see in my avatar pic my Balding spots! (thin spots or whatever you wanna call them LOL) Hopefully I get some thick locks when I get to my goal

Last edited by Lori259; 01-01-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #14  
Chuggin' along...

I've always had baby fine hair, and not tons of it, but it always grew pretty fast. I noticed towards the end of my most extreme weight loss period, my hair and nails seemed to stop growing. I was eating pretty healthily, but perhaps lacking in the healthy fats area, and very low cal (1200-1400 cals/day, working out a fair amount). When I went on maintenance and started eating a little more, my hair & nails grew more. My hairdresser even commented - went for a trim about 8 months afterwards, and she said "wow, you've got a lot of new growth back here". Since hair and nails are just dead cells, it sort of makes sense that if there's not a lot of excess, if you're ingesting just enough calories etc. your body won't "give up" those dead cells easily to make hair and nails...

Honestly it kind of freaked me out - even if I could find the willpower to eat so little again (I don't remember being starving, but when I even think about going so low in cals again now I feel hungry), it was kind of scary that my hair and nails stopped growing. That's an unhealthy place I won't go again, even if it means staying 10 lbs above where I'd like.

Nutrition can definitely affect hair, nails, skin, etc.'s growth & appearance!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #15  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

When I first lost weight my hair thinned. No bald patches or anything, but it did thin out. It stayed that way when my BF% hovered around 16.5. Now that it's at 20-21% my hair has thickened up quite a bit. With me it wasn't a vitamin issue, but a fat issue.

junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote