Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

Default Stop Regretting.

Being overweight-obese is not much fun. It makes us different from the others. We are often viewed in a negative light. It makes us unhealthy. Overall, it is a hard, negative experience that we all just want to be free from.

But, something I am wondering about is: what is something positive that has come from being the 'other', from not being the same as everyone else on the outside? How has this changed who you are as a person and your perspective on life?

Some people think, everything happens for a reason. If this were true, then for what reason were you overweight-obese?

Any interesting stories?? ....
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I think it's helped make me more empathetic and understanding of others. Sure I probably would have been happier if I had never been obese, but I think all of our life experiences shape us into who we are.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

There's not enough room on the Internet for me to talk about how being obese changed my experience of the world & shaped the person that I am.

For starters, I'll give you my Grand Theory of My Lifelong Overcompensation for Being Fat. Because I felt that I was inherently unacceptable because of my body & that people would not want to be around me, I felt that I had to prove my worth in many other ways. Redundantly, over & over again. That meant I had to be smart, funny, and above all, at all times, pleasing to look at & be around -- really clean, presentable, well-dressed, well-made-up. I mean, sure, I was fat, but I'd be damned if I was also going to be sloppy, smelly, sweaty, bedraggled, whatever else is included in the stereotype of a woman who's lost all interest in taking care of herself & any notion of what is socially acceptable & unacceptable. I had to be the exact opposite of that stereotype.

I am haunted by a really obese, snaggle-toothed, bad-smelling, impoverished bag-lady with rat's nest hair. I come from poor people on one side of my family. Really poor people. I had some distant relatives who were close to that. Visiting them when I was a litte kid accompanied by my parents had a tremendous impact. When I got fat like some of them, everything I did was aimed at getting me as far away from becoming that kind of woman as possible. On some level, I think I'm still on the run from that woman & that life.

Last edited by saef; 12-15-2009 at 01:17 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Wow, Saef... Just wow...

At first I couldn't think of anything positive. But now I've thought of something. My mother gained weight after she had children, and we all gave her a pretty hard time about it. I'm ashamed of our behavior around that. Well, at my highest weight, I was heavier than my mom's highest weight--by probably 15 pounds. It gave me perspective about her and her life that I just didn't have when I was younger and not overweight.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Oh, dear. Mine was a threadkiller of an answer, wasn't it, Jay?

But it's true. If I hadn't been really obese, and very much afraid of being perceived a certain way because of my obesity, and if I hadn't overcompensated to make up for that possibility -- I saw it as a possibility, even if it wasn't, really -- I'd be a different person.

If I'd grown up with & taken for granted the blue-eyed, fair-haired privileges of a thin girl, I wouldn't be me. I mean, I might not have ended up like Marsha Brady or Paris Hilton, but I'd be someone else entirely.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Great question. If I had never struggled with binge eating, I would still be the kind and caring person that I (think) I am. It is so much a part of me, that it's hard to imagine myself not having gone through this experience...this life style. I think I wouldn't be as grateful for fitting into a normal pair of jeans. I wouldn't have really understood how wonderful it is to be able to go shopping in a regular store vs. a plus sized one. I think I would still be tolerant/accepting/understanding of heavy people, but now, I really empathize and I know that it could easily be me.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

If I'd grown up with & taken for granted the blue-eyed, fair-haired privileges of a thin girl, I wouldn't be me. I mean, I might not have ended up like Marsha Brady or Paris Hilton, but I'd be someone else entirely.
I know exactly what you mean. I didn't grow up obese, there were whole other extreme conditions going on. I could never choose to go through it again, but it is almost unfathomable who I might have been if things had been different. It easy to imagine and re-write the stuff I don't like about how I coped. But I learned some extraordinarily good things too. At least, eventually.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #8  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Oh, dear. Mine was a threadkiller of an answer, wasn't it,
I don't think so.
I found your comments inspiring, and
several parts of your experience closely resemble my own
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote