Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #31  
Working My Way Back Down

I have a naturally skinny DH. He weighed about 130 at 5'9" (honest - he was skeletal) when we first started going out. Later he maintained a healthier weight of 140 - 150 for most of our time together (37 years in Sept) until about 1994 or 95 when he gained up to about 180, mostly from working two jobs and eating junk, and not exercising - something he'd always done before. He stayed that weight until he got cancer in 1999, and although we didn't equate the two, he lost a lot of weight that winter before he was diagnosed, but he'd cut back to just one job and started taking better care of himself so thought it was working. Because he had so much spinal damage when he was ill, he is now only 5'3" and weighs right around 140, and has since about 2000. He still has all the bones he had at 5'9" so for him to go much lower would be unhealthy. He does, however, eat whatever he wants, but like Robin's kids, he's often satisfied with a small/normal portion. He does eat full fat yogurt, and premium ice cream. Sigh. And thanks to genetics, he has low cholesterol. When he was trying to gain weight I offered to just let him eat what I wanted to, and he'd do fine. Hey, it worked for me.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #32  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
Thin, smoking moms seem to be somewhat of a theme here. My mother was 5'7" and her highest weight was 130. We all went on the grapefruit diet when that happened. She stayed around 125 most of the time. She smoked, drank lots of coffee, and never exercised. She probably weighed about 100 lbs. when she died of lung cancer at 74. Since her mother lived to be 103 (non-smoker, non-drinker, very little caffeine, and she walked everywhere because she didn't drive), my mother was considered to have died young.
This hit home with me. Mom was 5'4" (now about 5'2") and a smoker and black coffee drinker all of her life. She always maintained about 120-125 lbs. She also walked everywhere until she learned to drive at age 45.

When she turned 65, she went down to 98 lbs. Emphysema finally kicked in at 68, and she quit smoking. Now at age 70, she is about 130 lbs and looks GREAT.

She is definitely one of those people that can eat a "taste" of anything and be satisfied. She definitely does not have the disordered eating behaviors that I have seen in myself (and my children).

That being said, my dad died in his 50s at 450+ lbs. Thus, my struggles. I really wish I had more of my "Mom" in me when it comes to eating behaviors.

My maternal Grandmother was always "chunky", but lost weight in her 60s and stayed thin until she died at age 96.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #33  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

My dad was always thin....6'2" and 175-80... until he started drinking beer in his late 30's...he developed a beer belly but had thin arms/legs. My mom was always thin around 115 pounds and 5'5....until she had thyroid issues in her late 30's. Both were smokers.

I am 6' for the majority of my life I ate and ate and ate (dinner).....we did not have fast food back then....but I also worked my butt off in construction, burning way more calories than I took in....I never ate breakfast...had maybe a sandwich for lunch on the run...but was famished at dinner. My mom and wife were good cooks so I "stocked up" for the next day! I too was a smoker...until 11 years ago...I started putting on weight at about 41-42 or so, in my belly (was not a drinker at that time)...I must have slowed down at work but my food intake stayed the same.

I attribute smoking to less weight! On my experience I know I would give up food to eat...at lunch and break the time is short...skip that cookie and grab a smoke! My bil and sister are smokers...they like to eat but instead of that 2nd burger they are grabbing a smoke! They are thin.

So many factors...genetics...bad habits...good habits...mom's cooking...smoking....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 160/160/140

Height: 5'2

Thanks for this thread...it gives me a lot of insight into how people approach food...
etherence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sheila, my kids (well my son, anyway) is very skinny. But both of my kids were the type that could have a TON of candy and not touch it. Every year it was the same thing--throw away the Halloween candy at Thanksgiving. Throw away the Christmas candy in January. Throw away the Valentines candy in March. Throw away the Easter candy in April/June. They'll even buy candy at the movies and eat only half or less.

I could never do that.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote