Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I need some suggestions!!

Dana asked me yesterday if I would host an 18th for her (November 29th). She is going to bring her boyfriend home for the weekend and she wants to invite 10-15 friends for her party. Mind you, she has NEVER wanted a party before! I wanted to do a party for her since we moved into our new house as it is set up so perfectly for parties! So I'm quite excited to do this for her.

Okay, so the vast majority of party goers will be under 21, so I don't have to worry about alcoholic beverages. I'll have plenty of soda and perhaps a punch of some sort that will go along with whatever menu we decide on.

So here is what I need from you: what kinds of things would you serve? She has been to many a birthday bash at her Filipino friend's houses and they always serve a large Filipino dinner--not sit down or anything like that, so I'm assuming she wants real food rather than just finger foods and junk. We're going to go over the details in a couple of weeks, but I want to be armed with some ideas first.

We'll probably have the party start mid afternoon and let it go until 8 to 10 PM. We'll have the outside patio and grill available--it's usually quite mild during the day. We'll also have the inside (kitchen, family room and living room) in case it does get cold. I have plenty of chafing dishes to keep things warm, if needed.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #17  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

We had a party at our house one time that was an inside/outside thing. We did a low country boil on the deck in a turkey fryer. It was easy and delicious! (It has shrimp, sausage, potatoes, corn, etc.) Along with it we had appetizers, a salad, bread and dessert.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone!

I'm just stopping by quickly to say Hi...little Henry had a playdate today with a baby who's just nine days younger than he is (but much fatter!) It was nice...the two mommies got to take a stroll through the neighborhood and commiserate over new mommyhood. She's a runner too, so we talked about how we can't run anymore and we don't have time to anyway!! Oh, and she brought fast food. Oops!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #19  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi! I'm back and there's no way I can catch up with all that went on in the last 10 days, so I'll just jump in and start new.

Lily - so glad to hear that Shane's visit is still on. I know how much you're looking forward to seeing him.

Anne - congrats on the tri! I'm really enjoying swimming, I had planned to do some on my trip, but the first place the pool was closed. and when I got to the second I had a head cold and all I wanted to do in the down time was sleep (on the up side - I couldn't taste much so I didn't eat a lot )

Work is still nuts but the budget has moved into the next "cycle" and I'm on to reviewing and making minor adjustments - not as bad.

Like Anne, we're into our investments for the long run, and can afford to let them recover over the next couple of years before we need to dip into them. Thank goodness.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Allison,
How exciting to get to plan the party! Have you met her boyfriend yet?

My WW leader has had many "shishkabob" (sp) parties. She says that she cuts up tons of different veggies and has them each in different bowls. Then she has cut up chunks of meats like chicken, beef, etc., and shrimp and everyone gets their kabob stick and makes their own. Everyone finds it fun to make their own food, you can prepare ahead of time and then you just grill it. I think it sounds like fun! They also grill pineapple for dessert.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up The "easy" party

Allison How exciting that your daughter wants to introduce her boyfriend to you. You two sound like you have a very good, communicative relationship.

this type of set up has some prep work - the salads - but is easy when the guests arrive! Lots of different salads (pasta, green, couscous, etc.) buffet style and burgers (meat and vegetarian) and corn they can grill themselves. Cake, fruit, etc. also buffet style for dessert.

Paper plates and plastic glasses make for an easy clean up where everyone can just deposit their dirty dishes in a garbage can.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #22  

Good ideas--keep 'em coming!!!

No, I haven't met the boyfriend yet. That weekend (right after Thanksgiving) will be our chance to meet him. Until then, I've seen photos.

I found some really cute paper goods and am waiting until Dana gives me her approval before I order them. The ones I really like are white, brown, black and lavender (sounds weird, but very pretty) in stripes and mod polka-dot like spots. I would pair them with plain paper plates in one of the darker colors.

I was thinking salads, but then Dana says he doesn't like salads. I wouldn't want to offend!!! I have three ideas so far: 1--lots of hot and cold appetizers (chips and salsa, my famous sausage and cream cheese dip and chips, mini tacos, brushetta, and spinach bread bowls--they're pretty small but yummy). 2--sliders (chicken and beef), potato salad, chips. 3--taco or enchilada bar with Spanish rice and black beans with chips and salsa. I just don't know quite what she has in mind.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Tell me more about the sausage and cream cheese dip.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #24  

bargoo~I don't know that I should. It is NOT low cal! Ha Ha. Here it is:

1 pkg Jimmy Dean sage sausage, browned and drained.
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, cubed
1 10 oz can RoTel tomatoes in any variety except mild

Combine all in bowl or mini crockpot. Heat in microwave until cheese is melted. Stir and serve with tortilla chips (strong ones--I use Tostitos Gold).
Old 10-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #25  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
bargoo~I don't know that I should. It is NOT low cal! Ha Ha. Here it is:

1 pkg Jimmy Dean sage sausage, browned and drained.
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, cubed
1 10 oz can RoTel tomatoes in any variety except mild

Combine all in bowl or mini crockpot. Heat in microwave until cheese is melted. Stir and serve with tortilla chips (strong ones--I use Tostitos Gold).
Carolina dip! I was introduced to this about two years ago at a potluck party. To be honest, all of my friends and I usually have potluck parties. The Carolina dip went on a run and appeared at about 4 parties in 4 months. It's always been devoured.

I was going to suggest a Mexican theme. It's pretty easy to cook ground beef, chicken, refried beans ahead of time and keep them warm, them put out hard and soft tacos, and all the accompaniments, which can be prepped ahead of time. For dessert, tres leches cake!

I've also been to some "build-a-bob" parites where everyone builds kebabs and grills them. The only downside is that when 10 people are trying to grill, the grill gets opened and closed a lot and it takes forever to cook. Best to put one person in charge of the grill, get a bunch ready, and cook them all at once.

Wardhog, mmm, we do low country boils too. Buy locally caught shrimp! (That is my plug for the seafood industry).

I often grill at parties. Like Dagmar said, you can have your sides & dessert ready ahead of time, and grill hamburgers, chicken, steak, veggie burgers, etc. You just have to have one person manning the grill who isn't responsible for anything else! I've always found the more I can do ahead of time, the better. The more appetizers that don't need to be served totally hot, the better. And clean out your fridge ahead of time!

I've found the following foods successes at events:
dips - Carolina dip, cheese balls, spinach & artichoke dip, cream cheese with red pepper jelly on top & wheat thins to dip, veggie platter with dip
mixed nuts
cookies, brownies, individual cheesecakes (cooked cupcake papers)
mini tart/quiche type things
bacon-wrapped little smokies (need to be sorta hot though)
cocktail meatballs
bacon wrapped shrimp or scallops
spinach balls
7-layer dip
chips & salsa
hummus & crackers, pita chips, veggies, or bagel crisps
bruschetta
cut up fruit and fruit dip (make from Cool Whip, cream cheese, and sugar), or chocolate or caramel dip
skewer sausage bites with cherry tomatoes, olives
cheese & cracker platter, apricots, walnuts or other nuts go well too

I'm rambling an awful lot, I must be tired...
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #26  
Meg

Megan, you could have a second career as a party planner. But I've got to stop reading this thread!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am going to try the sausage cream dip, just for guests of course!

Thanks
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Megan, you could have a second career as a party planner. But I've got to stop reading this thread!!
I'm really, really glad I had dinner before I checked in.

Allison There's always the chili, cornbread, and big green salad party. Guests can help themselves from a great big vat of chili, the cornbread gets zapped in the microwave or kept warming on the higher part of the grill, and the salad is an option (since Dana's BF doesn't like salad he can skip it). Geez, I'm again.

Speaking of grilling I have a friend who made a variation of s'mores on the grill for a party dessert. Guests loved them and they were really easy to make a batch at a time!

Your paper goods sound really chic. I have a favorite sweater in those colors.

And that dip -

Dagmar
Old 10-15-2008, 03:00 AM   #29  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Couldn't you make the Carolina dip healthier and lower in calories by using turkey sausage and non-fat or reduced-fat cream cheese? Seems like it would be worth a try.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:58 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
Couldn't you make the Carolina dip healthier and lower in calories by using turkey sausage and non-fat or reduced-fat cream cheese? Seems like it would be worth a try.
We are all eating healthier food but not all the rest of the world has joined in yet. If you offer something lower in calories and unfamiliar to your friends/family some of them get very offended.

"What, do you think I'm fat or something" was a response I got when I brought veggies and lower cal dip to a family function when asked to bring appetizers. Kinda ironic as everyone there, including the kids, was morbidly obese except me and my DH.

I was tempted to just reply "yes" to the "fat" question but chose the more tactful route. "DH and I are trying different foods and I thought these might be fun" was my somewhat lame response.

Next family dinner though I was asked to bring the veggies and dip. I still eat most of the veggies and they eat the dip but it's progress.