Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I really wouldn't want to get into such detail every time I declined a piece of cake. About diabetes and how sugar affects me and all. That can get quite tiresome and be a real downer at a party.

I still think a simple "Looks great, I'll pass for now though", is more then sufficient. If someone would press me, then maybe, just maybe I'd mention that it just doesn't agree with me.

As far as taking a piece and then having a bite or 2, well for ME, that just wouldn't work. 1 or 2 bites can easily turn into the whole piece, and then some ice cream and then some who knows what. I do best with definite "no's".
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #17  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

You guys, you are totally making me hungry for cake.

I wish I had advice on this, but honestly, I always end up eating cake. For me it is more a matter of convincing myself that one slice is enough.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Honestly I think people don't realize what they're doing when they push food on you sometimes. I have found that gentle humor is the best way to handle things.

If I say "no" to something and someone says "oh come on, have a piece" ... I'll laugh and respond "What are you ... my mom?"

But usually I've found that at office parties, cocktail parties, etc., the best defense is to take a piece and then throw it away. That way you can say with complete honesty "yes, I got a piece of cake". You don't have to say you ATE it.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #19  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
You guys, you are totally making me hungry for cake.

I wish I had advice on this, but honestly, I always end up eating cake. For me it is more a matter of convincing myself that one slice is enough.
Me too! One of my rules is that if it's someone's birthday, I get to have a piece of birthday cake. I don't care who's birthday it is. If I'm in a group of people and birthday cake is served, I'm eating a piece of it. The whole piece and the icing, not just one or two bites and then throwing it out. I'm not going to gain all 35 lbs back with one piece of birthday cake. I'll frequently allow myself dessert in other situations as well. I want to be thin, but not at the expense of eating birthday cake. Luckily, in most of the groups I'm in, it's not really socially acceptable to have two pieces of cake, so having a second piece isn't a problem.

But we all have to make the lifestyle choices that are right for us. So if someone doesn't want to eat birthday cake, I can totally support that decision. Just because I'm eating cake doesn't mean everyone has to.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote