Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #16  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Though there are repeats from some of you, these are things that I have banished from my wardrobe.
~ unstructured jackets with big shoulder pads
~ "overshirts"
~ velour sweatpants that I wore as dress pants (with overshirts)
~ flowy elastic waist skirts that go down to my ankles (well, at least they were in style SOME of the years I wore them)
~ men's sweatshirts
~ bulky shapeless winter coats (ok, spring and summer too)
~ ugly glasses that I think make my face look thinner

Last edited by CountingDown; 04-14-2008 at 08:51 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

In a nutshell, all right, apparently a BIG nutshell:

I will never, ever wear clothing that
-I despise
-I have to settle for
-I buy out of desperation
-Doesn't reflect me or my tastes
-I am embarassed to be seen in
-Are sized in the double digits
-Comes from a plus sized store (Hallelujah!!!)

Last edited by rockinrobin; 04-15-2008 at 10:34 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Robin, Your post about not buying clothing bought out of desperation got me thinking that I would try on a zillion different pants/jeans to find ones that fit me in a size 14. I was really a 16 (maybe even an 18!) but I refused to admit it and stuck with my 14s and XL tops no matter what. I too refuse to wear:

1. sizes in double digits
2. the open blouse over t-shirt uniform
3. anything that doesn't flatter
4. That's too tight (becasue I've gained) or too loose (because I'm trying to hide).

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #19  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Pam, I am with you -- I was a 16/18, but I squeezed into 14's for ages. When I was heavy I was at that nasty size where you're too big for the "regular" stores but too small for the plus-sized stores!

I will never again wear:
1) all black, unless it's a little black dress or a funeral
2) stretchy shirts that only fit because of the stretch (I still wear stretchy shirts that fit properly!)
3) anything that makes me look pregnant, unless I am actually pregnant
4) gigantic sweaters
5) drawstring pants (except to sleep in)

Plus my list of things that USED to be "I will never wear/that will never look good on me" but are now "I will gladly wear":
1) pencil skirts
2) skirts that don't have elastic waists
3) halter tops
4) clothes that don't have stretch in them (although admittedly most of my clothes are still stretch because they tend to fit my curves better)
5) a bikini
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I swear I will never wear (some of these have been mentioned by others here - Barb/BlueToBlue's list is A LOT like mine):

-Gigantic t-shirts, except to bed
-Pajamas to the grocery store
-My hair without style
-Huge men's shirts
-Baggy men's pants
-Double digits (OR anything bigger than a 6!)
-Spanx or duct tape to force the sucking in of my stomach and create the illusion of a waist
-Baggy clothes, in general
-Anything unflattering - I didn't sculpt this amazing bod (arrogant much? ) to wear things that don't make me look good.

As you can see, I wore A LOT of baggy and frumpy clothes when I was fat, because A) I stopped caring about my looks and B) I didn't want anyone seeing my fat

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 04-15-2008 at 10:02 AM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #21  
Meg

Duct tape? Shane, you never disappoint me!

Jessica, I love your idea of listing what you WILL wear now, but wouldn't be caught dead in before!

My list:

1. Anything sleeveless.

2. Anything tucked in.

3. Anything that didn't cover my butt -- I was built like a bowling pin, with my butt (at 57") being the largest part of me, so I was always trying to hide it. Though I don't know how you could possibly "hide" something quite so obvious.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy Moment View Post
We just talked about this over the weekend. We were at the mall ( did the 5k ) and I was looking at a few outfits in windows. I was saying that is ok and that is ok. My husband looked at me and said " DEAR, you are not that big now AND YOU ARE NEVER to wear anything that looks like it could come out of the maternity section again." Oh my gosh, he is right. I am never again going to wear anything I could have worn when I was preggie lol. I happen to like old lady panties lol. I do not like how any other kind of panties fit under pants. I want my panties to stay all the way down around my behind not ride up even a little. I think woman look terrible when you can see a panty line half way up their buns lol.

I'm with Shy Moment in that I like my 'granny panties' or at least ones that cover my still ample buttocks and reach up to my natural waistline. I've tried others as I've reduced but I just don't find them comfortable. However I do vow not to wear pants without proper zip (or buttoned) flys except to exercise or go to bed in. I also find that I've not bought a tunic sweater in many months and can't see them being part of my wardrobe again.

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 04-15-2008 at 10:32 AM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #23  
Chuggin' along...

I went to a private middle/high school where we had a dress code so I had to wear a lot of tailored dress pants, collared shirts, skirts, etc. I like dresses better than pants so I owned many dresses. Cleaning out my closet at my parents a few years ago I realized HOW TERRIBLE so many of them were! I had a bunch of big florals, with little waste or shape in them (no shape to hide my oversized shape, I guess), many ankle length. I was definitely dressing about 3 decades older than my age on top of them being so unflattering.

I will never wear:
1. Clothes older than my age.
2. Huge florals.
3. Clothes without a waist.
4. Pants with pleats.
5. Clothes 2+ sizes too big.
6. Shirts that "look like a pillowcase" as someone once told me.

Things I wear now that I never would have dreamed of:
1. Bikinis!
2. Form-fitting leggings to work out in.
3. Clothing that actually touches my skin.

Shane, duct tape? Ouch!!!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Okay, things I will wear now that I would never wear before:

sleeveless tops (bring them on!)
a tankini (wish I could go with a bikini like Megan but I'm not there yet)
medium colored solid shirts (I used to go with dark prints or stripes bec I thought they camoflauged my middle flub)
figure-hugging tops (my hubby keeps telling me to wear more of these)
body hugging work out pants and shorts
low-rise (not super low) jeans

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

No more elastic waist pants, unless it's exercise wear. No more "big shirts". No bathing suits that aren't competition-style. No more skirts that go to my ankles. No more shapeless giant boxy winter coats.

I also will never wear pantyhose again, but that's another story! Because now I could actually fit into a pair, but I won't do it.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #26  
Ilene the Bean

No more over sized sweaters, t-shirts, no more over sizes period ...
No more size 12-14 that's for sure, even size 10s, I want to be in a size 8 or 6 ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #27  

Height: 5'5"

I'm absolutely with Robin in deciding not to wear the things I wore from desperation. More specifically, I will never wear
*something that I bought in the clearance rack of the thrift store (how cheap am I?) that I hated from the start - but I bought because I thought there was nothing I could wear to make me look decent anyway.
*the same rotation of two or three pairs of pants - and only those few - because I never wanted to spend money on clothes I would hate anyway
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #28  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Boxy jackets and work pants - suits can be cute, but you can't FIND the cute ones in plus sizes!

Schlumpy, huge underwear. I am sticking entirely with underwear that looks sexy, or that doesn't work because of what I'm wearing over it, good-fitting, snug, lineless styles that still make me feel cute.

Overshirts worn unbuttoned over t-shirts, to hide my fat rolls (and because the shirts didn't button anyway)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post

Overshirts worn unbuttoned over t-shirts, to hide my fat rolls (and because the shirts didn't button anyway)
OMG OMG OMG. I did the EXACT same thing!! When I was fat, I actually had a relatively flat stomach (weird, huh?) with massive love handles/jelly rolls on my sides, so these overshirts were PERFECT. In my fat mind, they made me look thinner, even though my double-triple-chin would have had almost everyone thinking I was STILL a porker *oink!*

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 04-15-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #30  

My list of things I WILL wear now that I wouldn't while fat?

-Tight shirts without an overshirt or that aforementioned duct tape
-Tight pants and anything else form-fitting
-Short shorts and short skirts
-A tankini (I'm ALMOST ready to wear a bikini in public, but not quite because I still have insecurities about my loose skin )
-Clothes that show just a little bit of skin

The biggest difference is simply the fact that now I will NEVER, EVER be caught going out the door without looking GOOD, whereas while fat, I would just wear pajamas all day, huge t-shirts, and gigantic man pants because in my mind I was "dressing my size" - after all, I always laughed at those girls who looked like a size 20 in a size 2, so I definitely did not want to be one. I wanted to draw as little attention to my FAT as possible and now, I LOVE attention.