Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #31  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Lily, I literally haven't shaved in the five weeks since we left Korea. I probably shouldn't admit to that!

Jessica, you need to take those scale victories when you can get them, girl!

Aqua, did you make your run?

Pam, you look so great in your avatar photo! Good luck with getting back on track!

Oh, Rabbit, how sweet of your daughter!

Lisa, I hope you weren't offended by what I wrote. All day I've been worrying that it came across really haughty. I was just so glad that I hadn't put on more weight, because I had a hard enough time getting off what I did put on, which was on the low end of what was considered a healthy gain. I can't imagine my troubles if I hadn't still been overly conscious about what I was eating. I'm sorry if I projected my own issues onto you! You should totally be enjoying this time!

Kara
Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #32  
Mel

Kara- Hopefully right about now you are running to meet your sweetie You sound overjoyed and a bit like you were doing "first date" prep! Enjoy your reunion!

Pam! Welcome back How is the fitness business? Did you end up buying the gym? You certainly aren't the first one around here to discover that you can workout like a fiend and still gain if the food isn't spot on Oh, if only that were possible!

Lily- Hope you all feel better soon. I don't think I've ever been sick enough while conscious to not want to eat. I was painting a wall in the basement when I got home from work and thought about how you would have breezed through the whole project by now.

Hello to everyone else

Mel
Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Kara, I wasn't offended! I'll confess that when I first read it, I thought, "Hmm...of course I know overeating is bad...I used to weigh 275, after all..." But I know exactly what you were trying to say, and you were just giving me support, which I appreciate!!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #34  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Robin - I'm so glad for you that you're feeling so much more in control. Isn't it amazing what a difference a few pounds make?!

For me, I continue to really struggle. My mood fluctuates greatly over the week, as does my weight.

I am really hungry...alot! This happens to me occasionally but I forget how hard it is and I feel like I'm giving in a lot more. I had dinner and then a bit later I was quite hungry so I had a couple of handfuls of the new Kellogg's Satisfaction cereal. Then an hour or so later, still really hungry so I had one light Babybel and one Wasa crispbread. Nothing terrible but this is not going to help me get back to below the red line (which I continue to hug, on both sides!)

Kara - yay on the homecoming!!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks for the warm welcome back everyone! Kara, thanks too for the compliment on my avatar pic. I don't think it looks like me so am going to change it one of these days. I've always thought yours makes you look so healthy and happy. And that's wonderful about Tom coming home. I'm sure you won't be hanging out on the forums much once he arrives.

Meg: Yes, we are now the proud owners of a gym in Colorado. It's located in a small suburban community south of Denver. The gym is somewhat of a hit because there isn't really any other workout facility closer than 25 minutes away, other than a Curves. It's been a TON of work getting it started, but things are starting to settle down now and we are having lots of fun. We still need a lot more members to break even, but are hoping that will happen soon. It's funny because I try to work out there once or twice a week but it's so hard to exercise there because things always come up and interrupt me. I usually work out at a 24-Hour fitness that is 3 minutes from MY home. I had a member come in to our gym the other day to inquire about a membership and I recognized him from my 24. Funny, and a little awkward.

It's strange because everyone seems to think that if you workout you can eat what you want and that's so not the case. Geez, if I hadn't been working out, I probably would have gained 15 pounds, instead of 7 or 8. I have got to stay on track. I've done okay today, but I see myself falling into my old habits of snacking all day after lunch and then forgoing dinner to make up for the extra calories. Then I'm super hungry the next day and end up doing it again.

Enough complaining and analyzing and time to just stop putting food in my mouth and do what I know is right.

Have a great night everyone!

Pam
Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #36  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hello maintainers,

Just a quick update, because some had asked about it a few weeks ago, if I remember well, and I only got the results today. So it's official, I do have Factor V Leiden. Good thing that I don't want children and am fairly active.

And I guess that's one more reason to stop hovering over the red line, and control my weight forever. (I can't spend the rest of my life seeing the negative aspects, can I?)
Old 03-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #37  
Meg

Aw, Kery, I'm so sorry about your news. Better to know than not, but still it sucks.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #38  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Kara - I just shaved my legs the other day after not shaving for several weeks, and my DH is always home with me! I guess I feel like since it's winter and nobody sees my legs (and DH says he doesn't mind) as long as I'm wearing long pants I don't have to shave.

Pam - it's really true about working out and weight. Some people think "I need to lose weight, I'll just hit the gym!" But they don't realize that just exercising more isn't enough for a lot of people (especially since exercising can make you hungry...), and that you need to watch your diet too.

Kery - sorry to hear the bad news. Since you are focused on your health hopefully you won't have too many problems.

Last night I was lacking in dinner plans, so I made protein pancakes for the first time! They were quite tasty (DH thought they tasted kind of like matzoh brie, for those of you who know what that is)! But I was still hungry and ended up eating a whole bowl of whole wheat pasta too. :P Maybe it had to do with my workout. I also fell asleep halfway through American Idol!

I think maybe I overworked myself at the gym the past few days. My joints that had been feeling better are aching again, and I think it might be because I said to myself, "My knees feel better! Time to run as fast as I can! My wrists feel better! Time for lots of upper body work!" But really though they were feeling better, I need to build up to these things. I'm taking it easy today but hopefully I didn't do too much damage.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Kery~so sorry to hear about your news. Meg is right--it's better to know but it does suck.

Jessica~take it easy! I know how easy it is to think that we're indestructible, but it just isn't so!

Kara & LisaMarie~I think that's why we're all here--we need (sometimes) someone telling us to watch out so that we DON'T gain back all we've lost! We have to keep each other on track.

Wow. I shave practically every day! Well, it's in the 80's here so I'm wearing capris and shorts, so I kind of have to! It's weird, though. My MIL told me that as we age, we lose body hair. I notice it. I used to get stubble every day and now I can actually go a day or two without noticing any stubble. I just hope that doesn't mean the hair on my head will start thinning or not growing as fast!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #40  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Just a real quickie.........

Kery, so very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. At least you know, and can take the proper precautions.

Paperclippy, I hope your knees are feeling better as you give them some rest.

Doing very, very well here. Feeling very much in control once again. And it feels MARVELOUS. I am firmly in the middle of my 5 lb range. I am sick and tired though of these ups and downs. Will there ever be a time when there are just ups? Not scale ups, ups - control - ups. At least for a few months at at time? Sheesh. I really think it was adding in those splurge meals that did me in. I am truly an all or nothing gal.

I can go weeks and weeks at a time without shaving my legs during the winter. Summer time is another story.

Gotta run. I hope you are all excellent. Something tells me we won't be hearing much from Kara for the next few days.

Oh and by the way, THANK YOU. I'm telling you, I never would have gotten through this "blip" without you folks. Just to be able to talk/write it out is so helpful. And then on top of it to get such feed back. Priceless.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-12-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #41  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Kara, yep - thankfully, I did almost 8 miles yesterday. Which is a surprise since my weekday runs after work is more in the 3-5 mile range. Was unusually dehydrated though.

Jessica, indeed - we are pretty close in several respects!

Yesterday was mostly good, I had planned for a splurgy dinner (A special 5-course dinner at a restaurant made with seasonal finds @ the farmers market, wild mushroom lasagna aside everything I had was light, refreshing and produce-based.)

This morning I got up unusually early (and not very hungry) so I took the extra time to plan out my meals for the day and did half an hour for strength exercises. Surprised at how easy I seem to be going through the motions, I think I'm almost ready to upgrade my free weights again (from 10 & 15 pounds to 12 & 20 pounds, depending on which muscles I'm working). Whoo!

Oh yea, also found out I'm 138.4 on the scale -- but won't commit to change my current weight until I'm a little under 138.

Anyhow, hope you all are having a good day! And for those in the red zone or falling on track, don't lose hope and keep up the good work!

Last edited by AquaWarlock; 03-12-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hello, maintainers--

I've been lurking rather than posting, but thought perhaps posting would inspire me. Last night I did something I haven't done for a long time. Following a heavy meal out, I ate a pint of B&J's frozen yogurt--while watching Biggest Loser!

Self-medicating with food when I'm not feeling well is a biggie with me. Why, however, don't I ever remember how awful I feel the next day? I ran this morning and had to stop twice because I thought I was going to hurl. The binge started because I've got something going on with my right eye, which annoys me because I've got limited vision in my left eye because of some virus that started up in December and is still with me. And I had my quarterly injections yesterday, which can be (and were) painful.

So now I have to wear my glasses, which fog up when I exercise--so annoying! Okay, the whining is now over, and it's time to get back to the business of eating well once my tummy says it's okay to eat.

Kery, I'm so sorry about your diagnosis. That sucks big time.

That's definitely true about hair thinning out as you get older--my legs haven't seen a razor in weeks and they're still smooth. Of course, then the hair does start sprouting up in places you really don't want it.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #43  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
the hair does start sprouting up in places you really don't want it
Sheila! Ain't that the truth! I don't shave my legs very often either - must remember to before I go on vacation.

A busy running around in a non-productive way day here. I did get to the phone company and get DH a new cell phone. He's hung on to his analog phone til nearly the last minute. Service goes totally digital on April 1. He won't like this phone, but oh well. I don't like him to be out on the roads, esp in winter, at night without one. I have to go to a Chamber of Commerce luncheon in a bit as one of the city employees is being given the "Person of the Year" award. Then we're having a reception for her at City Hall later this afternoon. All very nice, but time that I'm not spending on work (nor is this, but we're not going there..... )
Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #44  
Visualizing the Goal

Hi all! Tom's here. We're having a great time! The kids were SO excited to see him this morning. Avery (one and a half years old) just sat there, staring at him, with a huge smile on her face! It was so cute!

I'll be back on the chat in awhile.

Kara
Old 03-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #45  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Meg, Jessica, Allison, Robin, Sheila -- Thank you for your kind words. I immediately went to the doc after my classes today, because he wanted to change my BC prescription anyway, but the way things are going now, I'll have to really worry the day I need to fly economic for 10 hours straight, or break my leg, or other circumstances when I'm prevented from at least walking. For the rest, as long as I don't regain weight and don't start smoking, my risks aren't that more important than those of a normal person. (It'd have been a whole other matter if I had been homozygote, but fortunately, I'm only hetero-.) The thought sucks, though -- knowing that I have this thing lingering above my head no matter what, and that no matter how healthily I try to live, it can still happen no matter what. But I suppose it goes the same with other, non-genetic problems, right? I'll deal with it, period.

Sheila -- Same problem for me. (Actually, I confess having eaten McDonald's while watching "Supersize Me". Talk about being twisted in my mind sometimes... )
Closed Thread