Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I keep a log of calories and carbohydrates (I am pre-diabetic). So this means I need to plan my meals carefullyto balance them calorie-wise and for carbohydrates. I usually will make a rough list in the AM for what I need to eat during the day, taking into account exercise (I exercise a lot) and any other activities that might occur, esp. if I have a day that goes off my routine (I also eat at regular times to keep my blood sugar as even as possible). When you mention hunger, I wonder if you are making sure you get snacks at the right times, and in the right kind of foods (not just carbs, also some protein to keep you going). When I first changed my diet I realized I was hungry all the time since all I ate were carbs (I just love bread, crackers, mashed potatoes, I can go on and on...) and since my blood sugar levels rose and fell so much I just couldn't help myself but eat, esp. at the end of the day. This changed when I changed the composition of my diet and balanced things better. A nutritionist was a great help.

As far as exercise, I do not eat more on days I exercise more, for the above reasons - my goal is to stay as even as possible and reduce spikes. I pay attention to the timing of the things I eat, though, in relation to exercise, to replenish my energy. I find for me this has stopped the roller coaster hunger, not to mention it's just easier for me to keep up with mentally (not changing things every day, I mean).

I almost view it as a "reward" in food if I decide to eat more because I happened to go to an extra class or swim more on a certain day, as I'm trying to define food as a fuel for my body and not a treat, etc. Plus I have to be honest and say that on those days where I don't exercise as much, I don't want to feel I have to "punish" myself by eating less! As I said, though, I might shift the amount I eat at a certain time to compensate, just not for the overall day. But this is where keeping a food diary helps - I know what to do for the rest of the day. Generally, it all evens out.

I also like the idea of making some meals at one time and freezing them. It is good to have something to grab for dinner that's readily available and healthy esp. when you are hungry and in a hurry, when bad decisions can be made. I love my crockpot for this purpose, too. Love coming home and the nice smell of my dinner greets me at the front door, and I know it's all ready!

Good luck, it is hard to stay on track, but with determination and persistance you can do it.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote