Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #61  
Chuggin' along...

Allison, WAIT BEFORE YOU HOOK UP YOUR IPOD! I've personally only hooked up to another's computer to charge mine, not get songs. Their iTunes are set up to automatically update the iPod when it is attached to the computer (read: wipe your iPod's memory and download all of the playlists for that computer's iPod). You can change this setting in your iTunes on one of the menus, so that it doesn't automatically update. My sis's computer did "recognize" that I had a different iPod and asked if I wanted to update, and I said no, so it was fine. But I don't know if you can just pick and choose a few songs, or you have to upload either everything or nothing. I'm going to go home and try to find my iTunes booklet tonight to look for you.

To go another route, how many songs is it? Could you put a few songs on a memory stick and transfer it to your computer's iTunes?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:39 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Gosh, ipods and itunes are incredibly fascistic! This is why I have a Cowon iAudio U2. It's tiny, sexy, has tons of storage and I get cool points (from myself) for NOT having an ipod. And also, I can hook my mp3 player up to any computer in the universe and treat it like a hard drive; ie, I drag and drop songs and files on and off it like you would a memory stick. It rocks! Say no to ipods!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Wow, baffled, I want a Cowon iAudio U2! It sounds COOLER! Does it look like and iPod? BETTER? it sounds so RAD! Like Megan mentioned, iPods can do some really annoying things

OH! Here's a for your place that the sun don't shine! Um. That reminds me: my girlfriend always tells me to kiss things that hurt. If you have a s/o, you could pull that and then get away with innocently telling him to KISS your ***

Ali - nope, I wasn't hurt I was just riding my bike when suddenly I noticed I was... thudding. That incident with your brother and the incoming car sounds creepy, though I can definitely relate! I've been hit by a car and injured once, hit by a car but unscathed another time, and I encounter close calls almost every day. Drivers here suck. Every time I SEE cars coming around any direction in which I might be headed, I start freaking out a little and praying yeah, being hit is traumatizing!

On a separate note, Ali, your schedule is hectic. I'm surprised you have found time for this whole exercise thing! I've always said that nobody has excuses if they want it bad enough... you're living proof.

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 10-04-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
Drivers here suck.
Yes, well we both live in the land of the white haired folk! My friend used to call them "puffs" because when you drive behind them, all you can see is a puff of white hair! Lord knows how some of them can see over the dashboard of those huge Cadillacs!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Ali!!!

I also live in the land of the college students. They're even worse than the ancient fogies!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:45 AM   #66  
Working My Way Back Down

I have only a 1GB iPod Nano (which was a gift) which I love for the gym. While I find some aspects of iTunes nice, I get angry with it for not remembering I want to keep my C25K podcasts on there (I know there's a way to do it, I'm just too lazy to look for it. )

I'm a huge audiobook listener and for that I have a Creative Zen MP3. The one I have currently is 40GB and is dying (I've had it 3 years and probaly played it most days of that time). The hard drive is fine, but some of the buttons don't work - most annoyingly the pause - and the case is currently held together with a rubber band. I ordered a new one, and when it came the display didn't work. I'm currently waiting for the replacement to show up - got a notice today that it's shipped. Then I have to move stuff onto it.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:18 AM   #67  
Meg

Good morning!

I'm up ridiculously early to leave for New Mexico (and pounding down the coffee! ) My laptop is packed and I hope to be checking in as often as possible.

If I'm not around on Monday morning to start the weekly chat, I'd appreciate it if any of you get us started off.

I have food packed for the plane, but everything else is going to be a huge challenge. My goal is to come home weighing what I do today.

Have a great weekend!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #68  
Chuggin' along...

Allison, my iPod user's manual says "You can set iPod mini to transfer only certain songs in your iTunes music library...You can also iPod mini to transfer songs manually, so you can transfer individual songs and playlists...to learn how to [do all that stuff] see the iPod mini User's Guide on the iPod CD." So you can do it. I didn't boot up my computer last night, but I recall that the setting to automatically update an iPod when it's plugged to the computer is on the main menu, so disabling that is the first step.

The iPod was a gift from a group of friends for my bday 2 years ago. I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I've never used any other mp3 players and don't have a particular loyalty to iPod, but I love the mp3 concept in general - endless playlists, instead of having to switch out CDs like my old discman. How old-fashioned.

I enjoyed my 1 serving of chocolate trifle yesterday, went to the gym, had a small snack and headed to the bar the help "celebrate" my roommate's birthday. I brought Crystal light so I could just pretend I already had a "drink" (just no alcohol ). I went home to make dinner and couldn't light my malfunctioning grill, so while I waited for BF to come rescue me (I hate relying on a man when I'm supposed to be an independent woman here! It's not fair that he just walks by something broken and it starts to work!). My blood sugar was dropping fast and I had a few fridge tidbits. Only ~300 cals worth, but it was out of control, and I ended up around 1950 cals for the day. I don't think any real damage done, it just won't help me lose weight this week. I got a good nights sleep and am totally OP today.

I have developed a real phobia about eating anything that I don't prepare in my own kitchen. I feel bad that I am "imposing" it on my BF. I told him he doesn't have to feel obligated to eat with me if he doesn't want, and I try to offer him other options when I cook. He doesn't complain and he has seen me when I'm so hungry I start to shake if I don't eat dinner soon enough after I work out - he understands that when I say I need to eat, I mean it. But this phobia kind of disturbs me. I can't be scared of the world. OTOH, I am more scared of my local restaurants than others. It's a small, southern town and they all serve fried seafood laced with commercial ingredients that make me puff up and have few to no healthy choices. The way my stomach behaves makes me think most restaurants have this "water retention/feel like crap/do unnatural things to your insides spray" that they give all their dishes a finishing spritz with. Does anyone else feel this way?

Whoops that turned into a longer post than I intended...

Meg, enjoy your trip!

Pat, when you go to the big city, you have to take advantage of better food options. I live 1 1/2 hours from the nearest city so I understand this completely.

Shane, Allison, there are a few advantages to living in the middle of nowhere - little traffic, safer roads! Although I'm sure some of the rednecks could give the puffs and college kids a run for their money in terms of bad driving, lol.

Anyone got any any big plans for the weekend? I'm running a 5K tomorrow morning, an acquaintance's birthday party tomorrow night which I may or may not make an appearance at. Since alcohol still holds no appeal for me I'm not going to push it on myself, and since BF is working all weekend I'm hoping he won't want to stay out late. I hope everyone has a nice weekend!
Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Morning everyone!

Meg, have a great trip!

Pat, I'm glad I'm not the only audio book addict around these parts. I love, love, love them. I used to have a 20gb mp3 player that I used, but I like the flash drive ones better, because they never skip. My current mp3 player is 2gb, which is big enough for at least 6 books and a giant folder of gym music. I love it.

Today is supposed to be a running day for me, but I'm still wounded, so the dog and I will just have a nice walk instead. I'm hoping I'll be healed up enough to hit the gym tomorrow. I've had 2 unscheduled days off my exercise and that makes me NERVOUS.

We have a big weekend this weekend. My college has its 4-day midsemester break this weekend, so no teaching until Wednesday. Hooray! I still have heaps of work to do, but more time in which to do it. My department is having a pot luck dinner tonight, which will mean both food and wine in excess, and we're going to a small dinner party tomorrow night for more excess in food and wine. We might wind up having dinner plans for Sunday as well. It's NOT a good time to be kept from exercising. I think whatever happens I'll put in a full morning at the gym tomorrow, after the market. I'll try to do both 30 mins of cardio AND a fbwo. It might work.

Happy Friday, all!

Last edited by baffled111; 10-05-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #70  

Good morning everyone!

I'm currently on my second iPod. I first had a mini but it died a few months back (I could no longer control it with the wheel). I decided to get a 4G nano (which is the same storage as the mini was) and it's just fine for my current needs. DD has a 30G regular iPod and DS has a Microsoft Zune which is pretty cool. DD is going to work with me on Sunday to see if we can transfer some stuff from her iTunes to mine via our home network. I'm not sure if it will work or not. And I wouldn't care if I deleted the stuff on my iPod right now--I'm in need of a change!

Went for a run this morning and didn't quite make the 2 mile mark. It's a bit harder when you don't get a rest day, but I'm determined to start running more than just 3 days per week.

My weekend plans consist of a trip down to the northern San Diego area for a meeting on Saturday morning (after a run). Other than that, there isn't much going on here.

Meg~have a great trip!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #71  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Having a difficult day concentrating... but not much can be done about it. Too many distractions... I want to lock myself in my office. I think I will.

Weight is steady... weight is steady...

Jay
Old 10-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #72  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Hi everyone, I am proud to say that I finally stood up for myself yesterday. My SD's MIL called and asked if I could go ahead and keep the 2 grandsons until Tuesday. I told her that I already had plans and that I would take them to Samantha (Sam is off work til Tuesday and should be caring for her own kids instead of dumping them and playing house with her BF). So, I stuck to my plan, sent the boys to their mom and went out with my son. I really just felt that since my son is soon to be deployed, that I am not gonna break my plans that we have made to spend some time together.

DS and I ate at Outback steakhouse. I ate some of the bread and my salad and was too full to eat any of my entree. I took it home and Shelbey and I split it later. It was the chicken and a sweet potato and it gave me a tummy ache. I'm with Megan on the idea that restaraunt food is prepared unhealthy and makes me feel horrible. I don't get sick when I eat my own cooking.

My funny story: Last night when I was getting ready to go out, I ran to the bathroom in just my undies and bra. I noticed that Shelbey had left a towel in the floor and I bent and picked it up. A huge grass spider came running out from under the towel. I screamed for Lacy to help as she isn't afraid of spiders. I had locked the bathroom door, so Lacy was frantically picking the lock. I was using anything within reach (from my standing position on the commode) to throw at the spider. (LOL, a tube of toothpaste, my scales, a bar of soap). Lacy finally gets the door open and begins to laugh hysterically at my situation. Then, she starts taunting me with the spider. She keeps nudging it closer to me and making it jump a little. I am near tears and she can't quit laughing. She roars hysterically that she wants to film this and put it on on YouTube. She was absolutely no help to me and made my situation worse. As the spider neared closer to me, I reached a bottle of mouthwash and with a strategically planned slam , I killed the dang spider. I vow that I will pay Lacy back someday for this cruelty that she inflicted on me.

Lisa, big congrat's on making your goal. WTG. I'm gonna skip on over and read your story.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #73  

Lily!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #74  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

It's been over a week since my last post. I haven't been in one place for more than two days in a row since DH's bicycle accident over a month ago. I'm feeling a bit like a vagabond, living out of my suitcase.

DH is getting very itchy to drive again. I'm very concerned that when he has to pay a toll on the Garden State Parkway or NJ Turnpike that he'll end up raising or twisting his shoulder and put too much strain on his collarbone. We don't have EZPass since in the past, it never worked for us and we got a ton of $25 dollar tickets. When he does start driving, he'll only be able to drive our Saturn Coup that has power windows because our Saturn Vue has manual windows and requires too much force on the collarbone. Plus, both cars are manual.

We have another big weekend of driving all over NJ ahead of us. Tonight, I'll drive us down from our Jersey City apartment to the beach. It takes between 2-3 hours. Tomorrow we'll see how well DH can drive by driving one of our cars while I drive the other the hour round trip from the beach to a restuarant on a little island so we can leave one there. Then I'll drive back to the beach/club and get on our friend's Sea Ray powerboat. We'll circumnavigate all of Long Beach Island (it's 19 miles long) along with other Sea Rays and end up at the restuarant.

DH & I need one car at the restuarant because we'll change into our formal wear - I'll be wearing my blue sequined dress and he'll be in his black tuxedo (he also has a white dinner jacket tuxedo from when we were on the world cruises) and he'll wear the bow tie and cumberbund I made him while on the ship out of Aboringinal fabic. It's bright orange, electric blue, and red with these cool little figures running around on it. Sounds strange, but looks great.

We'll drive an hour north on the GSP and go to an Autumn Garden Party at "The Manor House" of friends of ours from the club. We've never seen their regular house - as opposed to their beach house. Afterwards, we'll head the hour and a half or so to our house near Philly.

The next morning, we'll head back to the beach for our neice's 6th birthday party. It's going to be at one of those kid friendly restuarants where they have games and activities. I'm not looking forward to it because lots of kids making loud noise tends to set my manic/depression off. Too much commotion is not a good thing for me.

Afterwards, DH thinks he'll be driving himself back up to the apartment and that I'll be heading home to the house. But first, he has to convince me that he can really do it.

Okay, I'm already tired from driving just writing it all down. But I'm really looking forward to the Black Tie party and seeing lots of our friends really dressed up. Plus the weekend weather will be perfect for a powerboat trip in the ocean.

This week, we went down to the beach for just Sunday day and then headed up to the apartment that night. While DH did a tour of the club's ground in preparation for the 'work weekend' where we officially close up the grounds and buildings for the winter, I sat out in our cockpit and finished an awesome book called The Time Traveller's Wife. Get it. Read it. You'll love it.

On Monday since the Internet at the apart. was out, I walked to the super market and got us food that I could cook. It was the first time I actually cooked something on the stove and we've had this place for two years now. Mostly, I just make us sandwiches and salads when we eat in. There are so many ethinic restuarants in Jersey City and Hoboken in walking distance that we almost aways go out when I'm up here.

Lucily, the cable started working again and I was able to log on and download most of the articles I needed to edit for the Winter issue of the art magazine I work on.

Then on Tuesday night, I went into NYC and met up with DH at Strickly Westie where there's a West Coast Swing Dance every Tuesday night. It's on the second floor above the Blarney Stone bar on Eigth St between 30th & 31st. We had dinner and DH stayed awhile to chat with friends of ours as they came in to dance. He left around 9 and I stayed to dance til around 10:30. The guys who go to Strickly Westie are really great dancers and like to make their partners spin multiple spins in a row. I had to actually hold down my dress during the spins because on it's own, it would spin up above my waist. I had only tried out a single spin to test it when I put it on. Next time I wear it, I'll wear a black tank top and black tights under it so I can be less self conscious.

On Wednesday, I drove up to my brother's to see my 3 week old nephew. I actually made it from JC to Bridgeport, CT in only an hour and a half. Last time, it took me four hours. Traffic through NY can be brutal. I stayed over and yesterday, my SIL and I took William Henry to the beach for the first time. He slept in his stroller the whole time as we walked the mile long sidewalk along the Long Island shore.

Well I've typed up a chapter worth and not mentioned a thing about diet or exercise. I've been careful about what I'm eating so I stay steady at my goal weight. I'd love it if I could get back down to my secret wish goal, but I'm not going to do anything drastic to get there. 110 had always been my natural weight for most of my adult life.

Walking and dancing seem to be the only forms of exercise I can get myself to do. I cheer on all you runners and bikers and weight lifters. Great for you!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #75  
Working My Way Back Down

The other problem for me with iPod is that I can download audiobooks from the library for free! But they don't work on iPods. I've tried importing them (even though the vendor says they won't work) and iPod refuses to recognize them. I can download books from audible to my iPod, but mostly I save it for gym music and podcasts (iTunes is much less clunky in downloading podcasts).

Yesterday ended up well foodwise. I had only a ff latte and 1/2 biscotti after the doctor's visit. Oh, and I need to go next week for an ultrasound of my finger to determine if it's just a cyst/ganglion - in which case it's a "wait and watch" situation - or a solid tumor which would necessitate surgery.

Our gorgeous weather is gone - it's raining again, and is supposed to through at least tomorrow. Bah.
Closed Thread