Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #31  
Ilene the Bean

Oh my many of you have said things that I've forgotten I now truly find disgusting ...

Kraft or Jif PB ... DH accidentally bought some Kraft a while back and DS thought I had added sugar to it
- Mac and Cheese
- Kentucky
- Fast food burgers
- White lettuce, I only eat very green lettuce, romaine etc...
- those processed meals, Michelina's for example... They give people the worse bad breath too!! The teachers eat them at school and I can't even walk into the break room after someone has heated one of those up in the microwave...
- Garlic, yes, garlic, I can't stand garlic for some reason anymore , I know it's not a junk food, but I just don't like the smell of it or the smell it leaves behind.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #32  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kery View Post
I've simply adopted the mindset of "if I'm to have a less healthy food, then I at least want it to be the BEST I can find, the one kind that will trigger a series of mini-orgasms in my mouth, and not some cheap version that doesn't even taste that great".
Ya, I've become a flippin' annoying anti-processed snob. I'm kind of sad at hating on frozen dinners, though; Michelina's was pretty convenient, but I just can't stand the taste anymore.

What actually happened was I recognized and accepted my natural tastes, rather than changed. I think when things don't taste quite "right" but have a lot of salt or sugar or fat in them, you want to eat more of it because you're "seeking" that flavor it's promising but not delivering. I was never a sugar fiend, but I could eat a candy bar, even way back when I occasionally ate a king size, and it always left me wanting more. Now a square or two of Lindt 85% and my brain is completely happy.

Of course, I won't keep my old obsession, flavored potato chips and flavored tortilla chips, in the house. That's one nasty processed food type that I fear could still lure me in.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:25 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
- Garlic, yes, garlic, I can't stand garlic for some reason anymore , I know it's not a junk food, but I just don't like the smell of it or the smell it leaves behind.
Crikey Ilene. Let's NOT hang out together after I've had dinner.

I looooooooooooovvvvvvvvvveeeee garlic. It makes life worth living. Together with chocolate.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #34  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Ya, I've become a flippin' annoying anti-processed snob. I'm kind of sad at hating on frozen dinners, though; Michelina's was pretty convenient, but I just can't stand the taste anymore.

What actually happened was I recognized and accepted my natural tastes, rather than changed. I think when things don't taste quite "right" but have a lot of salt or sugar or fat in them, you want to eat more of it because you're "seeking" that flavor it's promising but not delivering. I was never a sugar fiend, but I could eat a candy bar, even way back when I occasionally ate a king size, and it always left me wanting more. Now a square or two of Lindt 85% and my brain is completely happy.

Of course, I won't keep my old obsession, flavored potato chips and flavored tortilla chips, in the house. That's one nasty processed food type that I fear could still lure me in.
Luminous, I think you're absolutely right about processed foods and natural tastes. I just read a book that discusses exactly this issue: Waistland by Deirdre Barnett. She talks about how we're evolutionarily hardwired to desire sweet, salty, and fatty flavors. So what food manufacturers have done is to create what she calls "supernormal" foods -- foods that are sweeter, saltier, and fattier than anything found in nature. And, of course, they're higher in calories than foods found in nature.

It's invidious because those kinds of foods do appeal to us and our innate tastes. You're right that we have to leave behind the processed junk in order to recognize the flavors of real food. Then you realize how sweet carrots, sweet potatoes, and pineapple actually are -- they taste like candy now! And you become really sensitive to added salt.

That's why I do better with a food plan that doesn't include things like 100 calorie packs of highly processed foods. Their supernormal sweetness, saltiness, and fat just sets off cravings for more.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #35  
Meg

Baff, garlic + chocolate? Do you mean together??
Old 08-28-2007, 03:56 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Baff, garlic + chocolate? Do you mean together??
What? Is that wierd? It's my favorite lunch! I do this thing where I melt dark chocolate and then simmer slivers of garlic in it until the garlic becomes soft and yummy. Then I stir in half a serrano chili for some extra kick and grated zucchini, because I add zucchini to everything. It's especially good over whole wheat pasta but sometimes I'll just eat it with a spoon, like choco-garlic soup. Delish!

Ok, I'm kidding. Not together. But chocolate and garlic are, individually, some of the greatest foods on earth.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:58 AM   #37  
Meg

But I'd say it's chocolate and wine.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:00 AM   #38  

Quote:
That's why I do better with a food plan that doesn't include things like 100 calorie packs of highly processed foods. Their supernormal sweetness, saltiness, and fat just sets off cravings for more.
I think you're absolutely right about this. I've noticed that if I have a few meals with a higher fat content than I'm used to, I have a really hard time staying away from the fatty foods. Same with salty processed things like chips. I crave them in a way that I just don't if I eat a mostly clean diet. I think it has less to do with 'will power' and more to do with the taste buds' ability to get very happy with processed uber-fatty, uber-flavored foods very quickly. And also mouthfeel. Fat has a very different mouth feel to lean food.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:04 AM   #39  

Quote:

Crikey. Now you've got me. I definitely consume more wine than chocolate and I love, love, love it. Hmmmmm. Tricky. I'd also add really excellent cheese to the list and probably quite a few other things if I started giving it some thought.

It's time to celebrate the earth's bounty, in all its garlicky-cheesey-chocolatey-grapey goodness.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

My tastes haven't changed drastically, because even while fat, I thought a majority of fast food burgers were gross, Grandma's cookies, most candy bars (there are a few exceptions though!), all regular soda, most chips (except Cheetos, Sun Chips, and Ranch Doritos), most cookies, with the exception of Oreos, Famous Amos, Mrs. Smith's, and HOMEMADE, most cakes, and anything oozing with grease.

Like Ennay, I didn't get fat off technically "bad" food as much as I did off portions - I ate the wrong amounts of the wrong things. For instance, I loved pasta, bread, and dishes with white rice. Now, these things in small portions are fine, but I ate them in JINORMOUS quantities. I would feel explosively full, but I just couldn't stop eating.

I've found that I'm not a gigantic fan of Chinese food anymore though, with the exception of crab rangoon, crispy eggplant, and a few tofu dishes. I used to LOVE Chinese food!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #41  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:

ME TOO!!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #42  

Height: 5 foot 2 and a half (Don't forget the half lol!)

I don't find anything gross...the foods have just lost their appeal. At the start the Macdonalds' hamburger tried to call me to buy it, but I'd buy a sandwich instead. After a while, it stopping calling and the sandwich started to taste better than the burger. Ferrero rocher was my last craving, and eating it wasn't half as enjoyable as I thought it would be.
Heavenseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote