Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 AM   #61  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I'm up early and feeling good. My grandsons (3yr. and 1 yr. olds) will be here today. I've been scurrying around trying to "babyproof" the house. LOL, the little one has arms about 1 1/2 feet long, but can reach things 4 feet away. Had to have DH move my elliptical out of the living room cause both the boys try to climb on it. Plus,my exercise ball had to be put away. LOL, the 3 yr. old tries to run over the 1 yr. old on it. These boys are so much fun, but they are definitely a handful. I had to put up Molly's water and food bowl so baby Gunner doesn't try to eat Dog Food (again) and splash in the water.

We went to Karaoke last night and had a fun time. My new friend Causha went with us. She has just started trying to lose wt. and has lost 9 lbs. It was so great to see her excitement. She plans to start coming over of the evenings and walking with me. Last night she asked me to "guess my wt". I felt really bad and said she was probably 180 (which I knew she was probably more like 230's) but I didn't want to say it. I felt bad lying and she said "OH, that's what everyone guesses my wt. to be, but "I weigh much more than that". She then said "that's one reason I never try to lose wt. cause noone can tell how Big I really am". Dang, I felt like a fraud. Why couldn't I just be honest. I think I fooled myself too for many yrs. that people couldn't tell I was as Big as I was. There must be a lot of us liars out there cause not a single soul was ever honest with me and said "oh, you look like you're nearing 250". But, then I didn't go around asking people for their opinion on my wt. either, LOL, was too afraid someone would guess it right. I sure hated being put on the spot like that.

So, to everyone else, does this ever happen to you. Do you have others that want you to "guess their wt.". If so, are you honest about it? I did try to get out of it and said "I'm not any good at guessing wt".

Meg, I've actually had family and friends say "you're not any fun to go out to eat with anymore cause you make me feel guilty for eating fattening stuff". I don't care one iota what others eat, I care what I put in my mouth.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Sometimes there's a jealousy component too. I had several friends who would gripe about it being impossible to lose weight -- stuffing cookies in their mouths in the meantime! When I lost the weight. they pulled away because it meant that they COULD lose weight if they tried. And I made them feel guilty.
Sometimes?

Sounds like everyone is up and happy that it is FRIDAY! I've had a good week. I can't say that my weight is looking good (please do not refer to the ticker, it is wrong right now and I just can't bear to move it again). But I've re-dedicated myself on several fronts and feel really good and I have high hopes that in just a few weeks I'll see a dramatic change. I can't let you in on what it is just now, though....
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #63  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! I'm happy it's Friday too, Allison! LOL about the ticker, my weight listed is wrong too but I don't want to change it.

I've been pretty OP this week. Weekday food has been good, and I realized that my calories only really go much above 1600 if I eat rice. But I love rice!!! I'll just have to account for it better, since 1C rice has far more calories than 1C spaghetti, both of which are my staples.

I'm trying to decide what activities to do this weekend. I joined some groups on meetup.com in order to make friends and the problem is (of course) they all involve food! I can either go to the 2-hour hike ("hike" meaning walk on an unpaved trail, no mountains around here) followed by dinner & drinks, or the 1.5-hour walk followed by pizza. At least I joined the groups that involve exercise. We are also hoping to finally paint one of the rooms in our house tomorrow.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #64  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Hi everyone! I'm happy it's Friday too, Allison! LOL about the ticker, my weight listed is wrong too but I don't want to change it.
LOL!!! Every time you mention something about your weight, I check your S/G/C and think to myself, "she's at goal, she doesn't need to worry about it!" I guess we're fooling more than just ourselves!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #65  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Today, I signed up for the National Weight Loss Registry. Can't wait to get the long questionnaire.

People have been saying things to me to about my weight recently like, "Your NOT going to lose any more weight, ARE YOU?", "You're holding steady, AREN'T You?", "You're eating enough?"

I'm sure I'll hear some more comments Saturday night when we go to the club's dance. I'm going to wear a dress that really shows off how little my waist is. It's a halter style with a sweeping skirt with netting under it to make it stand out. It's white with big red leaves. Very tropical looking.

Jessica - you got me thinking about trying meetup.com. I'd like to meet some people near my home that have common interests. I usually call the area that I live in South Jersey the 'Cultural Void'. I have to go to Philly or NY to find anything interesting to do.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #66  
slow and steady

Allison, that is too funny! I'm around 133 right now, but that's according to my broken home scale. The gym scale says I'm 139! (admittedly I go to the gym after work and having drank 2 liters of water and eaten a load of food, but still)
Old 07-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #67  
slow and steady

Carolyn, we posted at the same time! I tried meetup once before when I lived in Providence and there were no active groups. Indy has a lot more active groups -- you ought to check and see if there are some in your area! It's kind of nice because a lot of the members of groups are people like me, who moved here a while ago without knowing anyone and haven't been able to meet people. I can honestly say, for the first time in three years, I have new friends!
Old 07-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #68  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all. I feel like I'm in recovery this morning. Yesterday morning I ate a small piece of homemade pumpkin bread, very tasty with walnuts and dried cranberries. Not too bad, right. Well, it set of a hunger I've not seen in months. I felt like I could eat anything not nailed down. It was awful. I ate the lunch I'd brought - still hungry. I had to go pick up a birthday pie (SF peach for a diabetic employee) and every aisle in the store tempted me. I finally talked myself down and went over to the deli and bought 1/4 lb of real turkey. The protein really helped and I was able to deal with the afternoon, but wow was that scary. I really felt out of control. I'm about to go add up the calories - which won't be bad, as honestly, the only unplanned stuff was the turkey and the ^&*$^ pumpkin bread. I had planned for a small piece of the pie - sans crust. I couldn't face adding up the calories last night though.

Today is the ending party for the library's summer reading program. The theme is Buccaneer Bash, and the cake (which is not even tempting to me) is sooo cute. It's a full sheet frosted in blue and white to look like the ocean. The top has a 3-D pirate ship and all around are standing cookies decorated like kids standing on little rafts (rice krispie treats). The other food, also not tempting is hot dogs, chips and lemonade! Instead, I'm going out for a salad with my usual Friday lunchmates.

Lily - have fun with your grandsons. Cute ages.

Joy - wow, this pg went fast - at least for me. Can't believe you've only 40 days to go. Do you know what you're having?

Carolyn - I read about your trip with envy. Sounds so much more glamerous than camping in the back of your pick-up in the Alaska semi-wilderness. The dress sounds lovely too.

to the rest of you - have a great day!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #69  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Hello Maintainers can I come join you?

I have been thinking like a maintainer for the past month or so. I got pretty tired of being in super weight loss mode and relaxed a bit. Luckily the rest of the weight still came off and here I am at goal.

I have some mixed feelings right now. On the one hand I kind of think that maybe my goal should have been 135. I think I have about 10 lbs of extra bits hanging here and there...you know.

On the other hand I was so ready to slip into maintenance that I did a month before I got there.

Anyhow here I am. In 6 months I have lost 30 lbs become a jogger and now I have little mini muscles on my arms that I can look at and go "ooh look how strong I am" Not much but its alot for me.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #70  

Hello all...may I join your thread?

Before I start, let me say that to those of you who have family in the military please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers...their service is greatly appreciated...

Okay, I read alot of threads, and post rarely...mostly in the exercise section, but something I read from Meg and Ennay both resonated and made me want to cry at the same time so I thought I would chime in...
Specifically, the idea that you can go out to eat, and actually enjoy what you are eating, even though you know it may not be within your calorie limit for the day...How do you do that???
Last week was a special celebration for my husband and me, and we went out to dinner...something he likes to do, and I used to before I became so disciplined about my eating...anyway, to make a long story short, I essentially spoiled the evening for myself because I couldn't stop obsessing about the fact that I wouldn't know how to add up my calories for my entry on The Daily Plate...so I ended up ordering something that I didn't really want because I couldn't estimate the calories in the thing I would have wanted
Ugh...how do you let it go and not feel out of control when you deviate? I know rationally that I'm not going to gain five pounds from one nice meal, but as an "ex-binger" I am always afraid I am going to start down a slippery slope...
Any insight would be really appreciated...thanks

WRE miles 41.2/40
VeggieGirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #71  
Meg

Hiker! Taking a maintenance break for a while is a great idea and look, you've done so well at it for a month already! Lots of people pause weight loss for a while and re-assess where they want to end up. You may discover that 145 is a comfortable, sustainable place for you to be. If not, you can always get fired up again sometime in the future.

Jump right in -- we're looking forward to hearing lots more from you.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #72  

Gotta love all my old Featherweight pals joining us here in Maintainers!!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #73  
Meg

Hi Veggie and to you too! We were posting at the same time.

At first, I had a lot of problems eating out too, just because it felt like cheating. And I was panicked that one off-track meal would lead to a 50 pound weight gain (irrational but true). I think it just took time for me to realize that I can plan in a treat meal with all the bells and whistles and everything will still be OK. Sure, the scale will go up 3 or 4 pounds, but it comes right back off again as soon as I get back to my normal routine.

The key for me is consistency. So long as I keep it to one planned occasional meal, I won't sabotage myself. Where people run into trouble is when the one meal becomes two meals, or a day or a weekend. For me, if I'm on track 98% of the time, there's room for some treats the other 2% of the time. Remember, if it's a planned treat, it's not cheating!

But you have to know yourself and how you react to that treat meal. I'm an ex-binger too, but eating away from home doesn't trigger me the way that having the food in the house does. It's safer for me to enjoy a treat away from home because it's one portion (can't eat half a cake without looking like a pig ) and then I can walk away. Much different than having ice cream calling my name from the freezer (I still can't have a carton of SF, FF ice cream in the house ).

Honestly, I think it will just take a little time and experience to feel comfortable in a restaurant situation. Try it out slowly -- like maybe skipping dessert or wine -- but please, order something you'd really love to eat.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #74  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Gotta love all my old Featherweight pals joining us here in Maintainers!!!!!

You did good, Allison! I absolutely love it when we get new maintainers. Wouldn't it be great if everyone at 3FC ends up in our forum?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #75  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Lilly - I get the same thing from people at work with regard to comments about what I eat. I make everyone feel "guilty" for eating their crap because my food is so healthy. TOO FRIGGIN BAD! That's my new attitude. I'm not compromising my health and well being and all I've accomplished so that I can cater to other's poor eating habits. Been there, done that. Never again.

Just ignore their wisecracks and stick to your guns. You have done so well and are kicking butt!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote