Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-30-2007, 04:59 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat - Week of April 30 - May 6

Holy - how did it get to be the last day of April so fast?

How did the weekend go, Tara? Did the cornbread plan work?

I spent my weekend cleaning out our basement and laundry room. And discovered that the biggest amount of clutter is ... empty plastic storage containers. There's a lot left to organize but I see light at the end of the tunnel. All the cats 'helped', of course! (I almost turned on the dryer with a cat in it )

Today I have both a dentist and gynecologist appointment, so I am super lucky. I think I can squeeze the gym and a shower in first. Then more basement.

How was your weekend? What's planned for the week? How are you feeling these days, Joy?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #2  

Hi maintainers,

It's queens day! It totally feels like a sunday here, and a festive one at that. Flags are flying, parades are held, and MY POOL IS WORKING !!!!! (well, 90% I would say) but i can iron out the rest later.

I am totally going to bask in the sun and enjoy my afternoon off. I had 3 weeks of groundwork and plumbing for the pool, then some more plumbing in the bathroom this morning (including flooding the whole thing and having to clean that up) so I am entitled to an afternoon off!!

Have a great day all,

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! The weekend went okay over here. Ate a little too much sushi Saturday night but other than that it was a success. OTOH my scale is back up again. I really don't understand what's going on there. I need to get a new scale too.

Yesterday my fiance and I went to register for our wedding at the mall! I thought it was fun but he got kind of stressed out by the end (probably because spending like 5 hours at the mall is not his idea of fun!). Anyway we registered at Crate and Barrel and Williams Sonoma. We basically put on all the big-ticket items at Williams Sonoma -- a Kitchenaid mixer, a Cuisinart food processor, and a big heavy-duty dutch oven. We found some really nice dishes at Crate and Barrel so we registered for those, plus these adorable glasses with fish on them that we have been eyeing for months (the picture doesn't do them justice). In other wedding news, our caterer flaked out on us so we need to find a new caterer. Luckily, we have a wedding planner so I'm confident things will get worked out.

We're also working on the honeymoon business . . . Queensland, Australia is looking like the front runner at the moment, although we wouldn't be able to swim in the ocean because of jellyfish.

The weather was great this weekend, and today is supposed to be the warmest day since the beginning of last October (84 degrees)! What a relief, I love the warm weather. Saturday we went to the zoo, which was fun. It was kind of weird, since it is a pretty small zoo compared to the enormous Los Angeles Zoo I grew up with. Also, there were a bunch of rednecks there doing stupid stuff like pounding on the glass right under the "do not tap on the glass" sign and doing stupid stuff to try to provoke the poor animals.

We are closing on our house in two weeks! I guess that means we'd better figure out when to move all our furniture.

Before I go, I have to rant about my office. We are getting a new head honcho-type-guy in, and instead of just having a regular meet and greet with him, they are like "Come meet the new guy . . . and HAVE FREE SUNDAES!!!!!" It's so ridiculous, there are all these company wellness initiatives and healthy food seminars and everything, but any corporate event has to have either ice cream, pizza, cake, or cookies. Or pie. Once they even got the entire office egg McMuffins. The worst part is that I want to go because it would be good to meet this guy, but I know once I am in the room with the ice cream I will have a hard time resisting.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

It feels good to be home after all my camping and fishing. I do have a sunburn on my face and arms. But, I had a great time and am fairly exhausted. My own bed sure felt wonderful last night.

Meg, I wish I could get in that spring cleaning mode. I keep doing so much outside with the yard and garden that the inside could definitely use some attention. Carpet shampooing comes to mind, DH said he'd help me do that this week.

Rabbit, hope you have a great time enjoying your pool. I wish we had one.

Jessica, your wedding plans seem so wonderful. But, I still remember how stressed I got just planning our wedding. I absolutely love it when wedding invitations have a registered place to get a gift. It makes things so much easier for us to pick a gift for the new couple.

I sure understand your rant about your workplace. I always worked in a hospital. Every single event was celebrated with food. (Junk food at that).

My DD had a great time at prom and looked so beautiful. I'll try to post a pic of her later (when she gets home, as she knows how to post one and I don't , LOL).

It's back to being 100% on program with my food and exercise as of today.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all! 84!! It was 28 at my house this morning. Of course, we do warm up - maybe to the 50's - during the day. But sunset tognight is 10:06 pm!

Lily - sounds like you had a good weekend! I can't believe you're doing your own carpet shampooing. It's so worth it to me to hire it done.

Rabbit - good job on the pool. You'll enjoy it all summer and have little moments of patting yourself on the back while you do. My in-laws had a pool and I swear they treated it like another grandchild - at least we heard about it as much as about the grandkids.

Meg - my two favorite medical professions - NOT! Good luck with both. I finally broke down and made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to look at my knees. Sigh. They're still very stiff, and stairs really do them in. Fortunately, walking doesn't seem to change things one way or the other, so I'm committed to finishing my half marathon in late June before I decide anything. I know he's going to tell me I need to lose more weight - but I already know that, and I'm working on it....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #6  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Hi maintainers!

I just wanted to drop by the thread this week ~ I've been meaning to do so and be consistent in checking in here but I just haven't done it.

I'm not a maintainer but I once was... I think some of you already know my story a wee bit so I'll not bore you with it again

Rabbit - I'm in NL too! How funny, I didn't know there was anyone else here who was actually in my tiny little country!

Meg - I don't envy your appts today at all. You get the double whammy!

HI to Lily, Pat and Jessica

I'm about to make some grilled redfish, some veggies and some rice for dinner. Yesterday we went out in Amsterdam for Queen's Day Eve so you could call today a bit of a balance day...
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Jessica, sounds like you are going to have a beautiful wedding and honeymoon. A planner should take a lot of the stress out of it.

Lily, welcome back and I can't wait to see a picture of your DD.

Rabbit, have fun by that pool.

Ah Meg, condolences on your medical journey today. I had an emergency root canal on Saturday afternoon, which was complicated by the fact I'm sure enough I'm preggo again I'd bet a month's salary on it (can't test for at least another couple days, so no announcements for a bit). A painful, scary day all around.

So I'm hungry as a horse, and craving cheese like crazy. Normally, I'm not a huge cheese person--I do like it, but can take it or leave it. Now I'm just going nuts, but doing OK with portion control for the most part. If that stick does not turn blue, I'm going to have to get my head examined.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Ah, a crash of posts all at once. Pat, I hope your knees feel better!
Renee, I personally think anybody who's lost any weight at all is a maintainer. We might want to go farther, but nobody wants to go back. Good to see you back here!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #9  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

It's been a few days since I've logged on because we went down Friday afternoon to the beach. It was Work Weekend at the club and DH is in charge of the club grounds so it's his show to run. The weather fortunately was good this year. It's been pretty bad in the past and most jobs are outdoors, like replanking the docks and taking the winter bubbler system out of the water. It will be a few more weeks before we stay on Fandango, so we're up at MIL's house which is 2 blocks from the club.

I've added strength training 3 days a week to my routine. I've got 3 pound dumbbells and need to get a set of 5 pounders because I've had to increase my reps already just to feel something.

Here's my daily summary from "Thin for Life: 10 Keys to Success from People who have Lost Weight and Kept It Off" by Anne M. Fletcher, MS, RD

Key to Success #5: Nip It in the Bud: Break the Relapse

"Masters have a game plan for getting back down when a small amount of weight comes back."

"The vast majority of masters stop gaining before they put on more than 5 poounds."

"More than 80 percent of masters keep their weight within a 1-to-5 pound range; another 14 percent keep their weight within a 10-pound regain limit."

"Reversing small weight gains immediately, as they occur, is the single most important skill that [dieters] fail to learn in conventional weight-loss programs."

"Monitor your weight." - weigh yourself regularly, gauge how your clothes fit.

Strategies for getting the weight back to goal:
-exercise more
-stop snacking
-keep a food diary or count calories
-give up on or cut back on sweets
-go on a diet
-go back to the group that helped you lose weight
-apply techniques or food plan that helped you lose weight
-weigh and measure food
-give up alcoholic beverages
-eat smaller portions
-increase fruits and vegetables
-decrease fat intake
-don't eat after dinner
-drink more water

Don't let lapses become relapses

"Lapses are single events of 'slipping,' doing something unplanned that is not ideal for weight control."

Relapses are a series of events that causes weight gain.

Don't let a lapse become a relapse.

Identify when a lapse might happen:
-bored
-lonely
-celebrating
-stressed
-depressed
-very hungry
-at a party or social gathering
-at a restaurant
-in the car
-while cooking
-around tempting foods

Try to prevent the situations that lead to a lapse.
Try to deal better with situations that lead to a lapse.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #10  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

It is absolutely beautiful outside! Yesterday BF took me fishing offshore and we caught lots of yummy snapper. I tried a new dish and it was delicious. Bake or pan-fry the fish, and then simmer a sauce of onions, garlic, tomatoes, capers, lime juice, a touch of sugar, and oregano and pour it over the fish. Yum! I had a few too many hush puppies with it, though.

Last week was my first week of 'freedom' (read = no play rehearsals every night) but I only went to the gym 3x. I'm having trouble getting back into my routine of going, or working out in some form, 5-6x a week. And food is slipping as the exercise slips, too. I need to nip this in the bud. I don't think eating the leftover hush puppies for breakfast was a good start.

I feel obligated to go to a birthday gathering this afternoon. But I know I'll end up having cake...gah... I feel like a today.

Meg, lucky you. Have fun? Errr...at the gym, anyway.

Rabbit, enjoy your afternoon off.

paperclippy, ugh, I hate gatherings like that where you feel like you have to take part and know you will have trouble resisting. You're right, it stinks! I had a friend who got those glasses for her wedding and they are very adorable.

Hi to everyone else.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Delurking with a for Anne.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Hey, folks!

Happy Monday! Work went by quickly today.
Jessica: The zoo sounds like fun. I don't have any kids, but I think it might be something that I might try to do this spring or summer. I spend way too much time at home.

Welcome back Lily!
The red snapper sounds great, Megan! Maybe I'll try something like that one of these days.

Well, the cornbread plan didn't work out too well. I definitely OVERINDULGED. I bought a lot of cornbread, and I knowingly planned to eat a lot of cornbread. The problem was, my stomach is only so big. I definitely overate. I wasn't eating for any reason besides the fact that I liked the cornbread and I wanted to finish it. My stomach was definitely overtaxed. I felt physically ill for a good portion of the afternoon. The stuff was basically my lunch and dinner (plus a little vegetarian chili).

Needless to say, I don't think I'll be going back to Whole Foods for the cornbread anymore. After eating it to the point that I no longer enjoyed it, I now have some negative feelings toward it. Today, I have no desire to eat it again. I'm not planning on buying it next weekend. Hopefully, I'll remember how I felt on Sunday!

I actually might decide not to have an indulgence day next week...I'll be going out of town next Thursday, which will require a bit of eating out over the weekend. I usually do pretty well at restaurants (grilled fish or chicken and veggies), but I want to be sure I stay relatively on track.

My weigh was up 2.2 pounds between yesterday AM and this AM. Probably those pounds of cornbread still inside! Yikes!!!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #13  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Hello Ladies:

Had a great weekend. Really active with working outside and walked every day. I workout Mon - Fri, so I usually relax a little on the weekend. I did really well eating-wise. Kept my portions reasonable. Stuck with my same eating. Wholesome, "whole" foods.

I stayed home with my little guy today, because grandma has the flu and she watches him. So, we went for a nice long walk (stroller guided for the little guy). I walked over 7 MILES!!! Once I got started I didn't want to stop. That is the most I've walked at one time. So that had to count for a lot. Plus I am off to do my regular Monday workout. Cardio + Strength Training... I ate really well today. Really clean and vegan. I didn't even try... I am not a vegan or a vegetarian for that matter, but I do eat a very clean diet. I even baked today, enjoyed some of my baking and did well food journal wise.

I lost another pound last week. That's 2 since hitting my goal weight. I feel like I'm about to lose another. I think my basal metabolism is faster than I originally thought. I am assuming that my body will get to a point where it wants to stay at a certain weight. Either that or I will become a little less active and slow things down a bit. Either way I'm not worried. I'm healthy, I'm active, I'm eating plenty, so we'll see. I do bounce back and forth with weight the days following larger bits of sodium. Sushi, Asian cooking, etc... But I lose it within 24 to 48 hours.

Meg, you are a scream! Your post had me almost peeing my pants! Lily, I love camping. Bummer about the sun burn, but isn't it great having actual sunshine? I know I'm loving it! Tara, I enjoyed some Amish Friendship Bread that I baked and ate today. Don't beat yourself up. It's a new day and those 2.2 lbs are probably mostly attributed to water.

Have a great week everyone!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #14  
lilybelle

We had a lot of rain last week, so today I had a lot of weeding to do in my garden. It never crossed my mind how sunburned I am until after I worked 3 hrs. in my garden. That's not gonna help my sunburn for sure. I'm only half finished with the weeding.( I stopped to cook dinner. )

I definitely noticed that my arms and hands are very swollen right now. Probably retaining fluid from the sunburn, but my wt. is pretty much the same. I'm trying to avoid salt right now, that is for sure.

My DD begged for no-bake cookies tonite, so I made some. They didn't even taste good to me and usually I could eat a bunch of these. I came in at 1400 cal's today even with 2 of the cookies because I didn't eat any lunch. I know better than to skip meals, it only makes me feel entitled to an extra treat later that day. Not sure why I do this sometimes.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #15  
lilybelle

#1 pic is my DH and my 3 yr. old grandson with GS's first fish, he didn't want to take the pic cause he was scared of the fish, LOL

#2 pic is my DD Lacy with her friend Cassie just before prom (Lacy is on right)

#3 pic is my son Shane. A proud new Sergeant in the US Army.

Thought I'd share some pic's of the people in my life that I talk about all the time , LOL.

Last edited by lilybelle; 04-30-2007 at 11:22 PM.