Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #31  
Chuggin' along...

Hi maintainers,

It is getting warm down here and I am so itchy to go diving! I spent last weekend digging out and framing up an expanded garden bed, and BF is picking up compost for me today (I live on an island with a sand yard so I garden in a home-made raised bed). I can't wait to plant my seedlings. Mmm, fresh veggies. Exercise has been ok, but I seem to be having some blood sugar problems or something with food. I'll eat too little during the day, and end up feeling starving and eating too much at night, or eat to much earlier in the day. I can't find a good balance. Gah. I keep trying to tell my stomach flub that it's bikini season but it has a mind of its own.

I have never conquered peanut butter. I adore it and have no self-control, so jars of p.b. just don't come in my house. Sad but necessary.

Kashi crackers are tasty, IMO. I don't think the cheese ones are exactly like cheese-its, but considering I kinda think cheese-its have a nasty greasy taste to them that's ok with me.

Lily, I hope that your bank account is ok. Labs like to chew things up! My parents' dog loved cardboard as a puppy. When he could get to the recycling, there would be completely shredded boxes all over the house. Luckily he's grown out of it. He doesn't seem to be a big fan of digging.

Have a great day everyone.
~Megan
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #32  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am so relieved. The bank just called me and I have no missing check numbers, no over-drafts,no checks that haven't cleared, no out of sequence checks and no withdrwals at all that I didn't personally make. They printed me copies of my missing statements and I'm going to pick them up. I called my DH and informed him of all this and he was very happy too. He has been calling around and now learned his DD has warrants in 4 counties. He has been encouraging her to turn herself in and she won't do it. He also told her that NO we are not using our vacation money to bail her out of trouble. I think he is Finally demonstrating some Tough Love where she is concerned.

Megan, I've been working a lot in my garden too. I had thought about using timber and building an above ground garden. I wish now that is what I'd done. All this weed and root pulling is turning out to be horrendous because DH didn't till the ground deep enough. I can't wait to start planting and having my own fresh , home-grown veggies. I also just have to get PB completely out of the house sometimes.

I also never cared for cheez-itz, but my kids do.

I have to go buy new tennis shoe strings because my puppy chewed mine and my son's up last night. I had put them up high where I didn't think she could reach, but alas I was wrong. The good news is that after she dug out again last night and I let her in at 2AM that she didn't have a single potty accident in the house. I'm trying to house train her, her mom is fantastic as an inside dog.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #33  

Count me among the fans of Kashi crackers. One of my absolute fave snacks is 6 or 7 crackers (I like the "original" flavor at 7 cals each) and a stick of string cheese. That comes to a total of roughly 150 calories, and it carries me through til dinnertime every time. I also like to dip Kashi crackers into cottage cheese -- another protein-heavy, hunger-plugging snack.

In addition to the cherry butter, let me remind you all of that ol' standby, apple butter. The brand I buy has nothing but apples, cider vinegar and spices. Even a teaspoon on a protein pancake makes the world a better place

It's a beautiful day here in south central Indiana, too, but the weatherman says temps are going to dip down again soon. Sigh. TS Eliot knew what he was talking about when he said April is the cruelest (cruelist?) month.

Take care all.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #34  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Default At goal weight!

It's official - I hit my goal weight on the scale today. That calls for a dancing carrot or two

Last night I picked up my friend from Hawaii at her Philadelphia hotel and we went to Horizons on 7th between South and Bainbridge. All the Vegan food was phenomenal. Some of the dishes even had the taste and texture of meats and fish. The owners are amazing cooks. I want to eat there everyday.

I even tried a very small bit of their 'non' key lime cheesecake that was made with soymilk. In a blind taste taste I would have thought I was eating the real deal. And I've heard such awlful things about tofu based deserts. I brought most of it home so DH can eat it. Of course I'm not going to telll him it's good for him as well!

Today, we drove out to Warton State Park and mountain biked along the dirt roads. Some of it was too sandy to ride through and some of it was way too wet, but most of it was 'just right'.

Tonight's West Coast Swing dance lessons with a dance party afterwards. So that's two 'activities' plus floor exercises to celebrate meeting my goal of 50 lbs lost.

Can anyone tell me where to find the Pounds Lost chick avatar?
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #35  
lilybelle

clvquilts, Big Congratulations on meeting your goal. WTG.

I am definitely going to look for those Kashi crackers. The crackers I've been eating are 12 cal's each so it does add up quickly. I never considered checking out the cal's on Apple Butter. I used to love that stuff. I currently use 1TBSP SF strawberry preserves (10 cal's) on my wheat pancakes.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Hi maintainers,
(I live on an island with a sand yard so I garden in a home-made raised bed).
~Megan
You have no idea how wonderful that sounds, LOL.

Kashi crackers-My kids love them and I figure a few with cheese or fruit makes a better snack than lots of things.

Lily-glad the bank account is ok.

Carolyn-CONGRATS!!!!! The vegan restaurant sounds pretty awesome too.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #37  
Meg

Congratulations, Carolyn!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of maintenance!

For the pounds lost chickie, go to User CP on the top left of the purple bar across this page. Go to Edit Avatar. There's a drop down menu - click on it and select Pounds Lost. All the chickies are there. Holler if you get stuck.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #38  
Meg

Carolyn, we have a forum called Success! at the very top of the forums page and there's a subforum there called Goal! If you'd like to, we'd love for you to add your story. There's also a Goal Photo Album if you'd like to show off all your hard work.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:44 PM   #39  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Doing great with the PB challenge. I think this weekend will be the most difficult, but since I've made a promise, I can't break it! I've also started putting a little less on my sandwiches...I think that had crept up over the last couple months, too!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:32 AM   #40  
lilybelle

I just spent 5 1/2 hrs. loading our new camper. I forgot how much work it is to stock one for the first time. We leave camping on Sunday. I am excited and can hardly wait. A dear friend is keeping our puppies while we're gone so I won't have to worry about them.

Tomorrow I will spend my day helping my son fill out a 17 page security clearance form for the Army. He has to turn it in at his Drill this weekend. Yep, he's had it for a month and never mentioned it until tonite. Typical.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #41  
Mel

Congratulations, Carolyn

I'd forgotton about Warton State Park! I used to go there ages ago to bike and bird watch.

Robin- It's still March. I know Indiana has screwy time zones, but I thought we were all on the same page on the calendar.

I don't think it will ever be spring here- it was lovely yesterday, but we're getting a snowstorm tomorrow

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #42  
Working My Way Back Down

Nor here. We never got out of the single digits today - after starting at 12 below zero! I'm going to Dallas for a long weekend, leaving a week from tonight, and I can't wait to be warm!!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #43  

Height: 5'7"

We were over 90F at my house today already. Wish I could spread it around some.

DH has been gone all week so I'm playing single mom. He gets back tonight, so hopefully things will get back to normal.

I finally ate myself out of my skinny jeans. Somehow that spun me back on the wagon, and I've had the lowest calorie day today in several years, coming in under 1500. It really didn't seem that tough once my mindset clicked. I'm hoping it sticks. My hormones seem to be back to something resembling normal again, and that is helping a lot.

I got a new computer with Windows Vista and have been having some trouble accessing the site-one of the ad servers doesn't appear to interact well with Vista and Firefox. If I'm not around much that is probably the reason.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #44  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

All the talk of peanut butter on this forum made me go eat some last night! These days I can usually go two or three weeks in between a helping. It used to be a daily fix.

We're going to head north into the snow and ice storm that's supposed to hit NY. We're going skiing this weekend at Whiteface.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #45  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Carolyn, congrats on hitting goal! I'm with you, after reading all this about PB I went and ate some! I love PB but I am good at resisting it when it is hidden in the cabinet. I can buy a jar and keep it around for months and months without touching it, until I feel like PB&J one day. OTOH my fiance will eat the entire jar in two weeks, so either we make a "This is Jessica's PB jar, no touching" rule or else I get one sandwich and he eats the rest of the jar.

I'm struggling with the scale right now. I haven't entered foods into Fitday for a week since I usually do it at work and work was really crazy this week (no time for screwing around! ). Aside from this week though Fitday tells me I've been averaging 1700 calories/day for the last month. We joined our gym Feb 2nd and have been going 3-4x/week since then, plus some additional walking activity on the weekends.

Despite all that, I am gaining weight. My fiance suggested maybe it's more muscle from all the gym-going (since I had been slacking off before we joined this one) but I feel like I remember reading lots of discussions on that around here that said it doesn't happen that way. My scale's reading 135 now. What am I doing wrong? I'm doing all the same stuff I did to lose the first time, except that my calories are a bit higher (so I wouldn't expect to lose 1lb/week, but over a month it ought to have gone down somewhat, not up!).

Should I cut back calories more? When I was losing I lost best at around 1400 cals/day. Should I just wait it out? I just feel totally lost, since I maintained for a year and have only gained these 5lbs since my 1 year anniversary.

We had some great weather last week, it even got up to around 75. Of course now it's around 40 again. I think it is supposed to warm up again next week. I can't wait to spend my weekends out and about, hiking and walking and biking, instead of holed up indoors wrapped in a blanket.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote