Old 12-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

WOO HOO! Evette, have you had a lot of parties to go to this season? If so, what are your strategies for staying POP?
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #77  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 222/127/120

Height: 5'4"

You know, I haven't had a lot of parties to go to this season, we have one today at work at it's being catered by Pat and Oscars. I know for today, i'll be eating my lean pocket a little before the party and just have a salad.

The past few weeks I've had a lot to deal with. My aunt passed away on December 2nd and we buried her on the 10th. My father-in-laws year anniversary was this past Sunday, so we were at my mother-in-laws house for prayer and dinner. I don't know if this happens in every culture, but for filipinos, immediately after the funeral, there is a party with tons of food! I've been so lucky not to cave in to eating everything that's on the buffet tables, but I usually just eat what I know will be on plan. Not eating anything fried, staying with vegetables, and if I have an occasional lumpia (egg roll) I know i'll be okay.
winkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #78  

Wow, sorry things have been so rough.

I'm Irish and we have a great big party after a funeral. Lots of food and alcohol. We celebrate and reminisce with stories and memories of the person that passed.

MMMmmmm.... egg rolls.

I like the idea of having your lunch and then just having a salad. That's a great way to solve the luncheon problem when they bring stuff in. Thanks for that tip. So simple, but it never occurred to me.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #79  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

MMMmmm eggrolls. Even though they push the calories boundaries the Lean Cuisine Eggroll dinner is pretty good (to me anyway).
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #80  
Maintainer

The month of December has been really tough on my family. Why is it that deaths happen so close to the holidays? Oh, did I mention that my uncle also passed away on the 9th of December? All three of my loved ones had diabetes. My aunt was "old school" she was the type of person that only went to the doctor if there was something wrong with here. Never got her annual check up and when she passed away, we found out that she was diabetic. Her blood sugar was way over 800! OMG!

So, with all of these deaths...I've learned to take better care of myself, eat healthy, never take anyone for granted and to live each and every day to it's fullest.

By the way...the foods included: lumpia, pansit (rice noodles with mixed vegetables with chicken and pork), adobo, all those filipino deserts....turon (banana fritters) all soooo yummy, but all so fattening!!

Last edited by winkie03; 12-19-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #81  
Kim - IP 9/10

Wow Evette - you've been going through all of that? I am so sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlawchik View Post
I'm Irish and we have a great big party after a funeral. Lots of food and alcohol. We celebrate and reminisce with stories and memories of the person that passed.

I am Irish too, and when DH went to his first family funeral with me he said he felt so guilty laughing at all of the stories. He didn't really get that that was the point. Now he's used to an Irish wake.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #82  

When DH's grandfather died we went back to his (DH's) uncles in New York after the funeral. He's Jewish. They sit shiva. NOT the same thing. However I told MIL since I'm Irish, we celebrate with alcohol. She hit the wine with me. I think she liked my way better.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #83  
Barb on LAWL

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
pansit (rice noodles with mixed vegetables with chicken and pork)
We have a relative who makes this EVERY holiday YUM........ I love that stuff

I am sorry you have had a rough month. You are doing so well !
Barb316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #84  
Maintainer

Thanks guys! It's the reason why I haven't been posting a lot. I'll try to do a lot better with my posts in the new year!