Old 10-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #1  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Default Apple Recipe question

Cassi - can I use brown sugar splenda for this recipe?

Quote:
You can make a quick apple crisp by cutting an apple into chunks and put some cinnamon, a pack of Splenda, and a dash of lemon juice on the apple. Stir it up and crumble a graham cracker on top and microwave for about 1 min 15 secs. 1Fr, 1S, and not too bad!
Does anyone have any other recipes (easy) for apple bakes (other than the Apple Crisp recipe in the recipe thread.) I even have an apple baker that I've never used. Wonder if that can go in the microwave?
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #2  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Joni--I sautee mine in a small skillet, the brown sugar carmelizes--yummy. Never did it in the microwave and I know someone posted putting oatmeal on top--hope you get some good responses. With the weather changing this sounds really good right now.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Joni - I've never used brown sugar Splenda. I imagine it would work well though. You be the guinea pig and let us know!
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/215/175

Height: 5'5"

I've used one packet of splenda and 1T of brown sugar, which is pretty much the same as brown sugar splenda (which is just regular brown sugar mixed w/splenda, so you're consuming less calories total). It's very yummy. And if you have a starch and fat left, mix up some oatmeal w/a little melted butter, splenda (or splenda br. sugar), and some cinnamon and sprinkle it on top of the apple. Yummy! I count it as 1F, 1S, 1Fat, and 1-2 condiments depending on how much br. sugar I use.
meagain716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #5  
LAWL Chick

S/C/G: 191.6/145/135

Meagan,
Do you bake your apple or microwave it? That sounds so yummy with the oatmeal on top, I will be having that soon! I also like your idea of mixing brown sugar with splenda.

Thanks for all of the ideas, ladies, I'm salivating while I read this thread!
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #6  
on LAWL

Kristi--wipe you mouth! lol

the kicker with the sauteed apple (I'm sure with any recipe) is when you put a spoonful of FF coolwhip and it melts into a creamy sauce--that with the carmelized brown sugar--yum-o!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #7  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Thanks for all the tips.
Here's what I did (I had a mad craving going on!).

My brown sugar Splenda (never been opened, but it's probably been on my shelf about 6 months) had a funky smell to it - alcohol-like; maybe the molassass does that..I don't know. But I used it. I diced up one gala apple (skin included, cause that's the healthy part), sprinkled a little lemon juice on the apples, mixed up about a tablespoon of the brown sugar splenda and a about a teaspoon of cinammon, and nuked it for about a minute. It was good, but it needed something. I had no grapham crackers, so I crumbled up my Kashi Go Lean Crunchy chocolate caramel bar and put that on top and mixed it into the apple mix. I now have this huge bowl of "I don't even know what to call it" to eat. It's not great, but it's not bad. Would probably be better with FF cool whip, but I don't have any. Well, at least my craving is gone now.

I think next time I won't do the Splenda brown sugar. I'm going to go googling to see if this stuff goes bad???

BTW, the Kashi Go Lean Crunchy chocolate caramel bar equals one LA Lite and I think they are really good. WalMart now sells them 4 in a box for $3.68 (at least here in Atlanta).
Old 10-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #8  
FBD/8-18-08

Okay - here goes:

Baked apples (in the microwave or oven)

Core apple but not all the way or you can halve them and cut the core out.

Either way - mix in a bowl a mixture of splenda, brown sugar, (I DO use the splenda brown sugar and Joni - it can go "yuk" on ya!) cinnamon, and a little vanilla (or you can use SF pancake syrup).
Now, you're going to mix some oats or cereal, or crackers crumbled with some ICBINB spray and SF pancake syrup. Mixture should be just moist enough to kind of "gum up" together so it will stay on the apples. You can put this in or on top of the apples.
Bake.
If you don't want the starch, leave it off.
Microwave covered with saran on MED. until soft.
or
Bake in 350 degree oven until soft.

-------------
Here's another favorite

Core and slice apples into a sprayed nonstick skillet.
Pour over a little SF pancake syrup, a touch of vanilla, and cinnamon. (also great with nutmeg, or pumpkin or apple pie spice)
Saute until tender.
This is great with pears, peaches, nectarines, and pineapple.

I'll try and post my SF crock pot apple butter since we are getting into apple season and we'll be picking a couple of bushels soon...
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #9  
Shannon

Joni, I just bought some splenda brown sugar and it had a different smell to it than regular brown sugar and it was a NEW item on the shelf as splenda brown just came into Canada.

I have a new find that would be 2Fr, 1 Fa, 1-2C - I have hot buttered rum mix from Victorian Epicure (cdn company) anyhow I was told that sauted bananas with it were fab over ice cream - well I don't do ice cream so I took about 1 1/2 tsp of the mix - 1 tsp butter and melted it in a frying pan than sliced a whole banana in and sauteed it until the bananas got warm and it carmalized a bit. Then I put it in a bowl and put a bit of ff cool whip on it - it was to die for. I figure you could do the recipe with a bit of brown sugar splenda, butter and rum extract (dash) with the bananas and it would give the same result. It was the best banana I've ever tasted!
Shannon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:25 PM   #10  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Thanks Shannon and Pearl. I'll have to try all your recommendations. Pearl, I never thought about SF syrup...great ideas. I love this site!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #11  
Jamie

S/C/G: 169.5/147.8/140

Height: 5'7

Pearl- That sounds so good, I will for sure tey it with pears, We have a pear tree and always looking for ways to use them.

I put SF syrup in my kids oatmeal too.
momofbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #12  
Martha's losing on LAWL!

S/C/G: 204/146/135

Height: 5 ft 5 in

OOOOOOO BOY Lea Ann. I am addicted to your sauteed apples. I've done it also with pears. Saute them with Butter Pam, Splenda brown sugar and a little cinnamon. Top with ff cool whip....heaven!!!!
mbfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #13  
on LAWL

Martha--they are addicting. I need to try the bananas--we LOVE bananas foster.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:51 PM   #14  
Martha's losing on LAWL!

Hadn't thought about bananas!! I love Bananas Foster as well. In fact i was just about to peel a banana to get in my final fruit for the day. I may try it! Will let you know how it turns out.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #15  
Martha's losing on LAWL!

Yep Lea Ann the banana was awesome!! The only thing is that a whole banana is 2 fruits and bananas seem to cook down quite a bit so it was a smaller portion than apples and pears. But oh so good!!!