Old 03-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #16  
Karen

Okay. This is just my 2 cents. From my month on this diet (and previous WW experience with the Core plan), I'm seeing a trend of getting away from processed foods. This website (http://www.fao.org/documents/show_cd...e/x6732e08.htm) indicates that juice not from concentrate is the closest to fresh juice. From concentrate is actually reconstituted juice.

For the cost savings, I would try it. If the concentrate works for you, then keep doing it. Personally, I prefer not from concentrate and lots of pulp in my orange juice. :-)
ksdiogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #17  
Love Handles Me!

Default Fruits!

Aloha,

I have been reading and I agree a lot of us have a problem with fruit consumption. I agree I can't stand eating fruit, I can eat it occassionally but I prefer to drink the juice. It's quicker its easier and its a load off my shoulders of having to consume that much fruit compared to consuming the juice. I drink Martinelli's Apple juice which is 100% juice not from concentrate. My center said to consume juice only if it is not from concentrate because the concentrate ones have more stuff inside.

Talking about finding that stuff, I eat alot of vegetables and had the darndest problem trying to find a fatfree dressing that had less that 175 mg sodium. I was going insane. But I finally found one, let me stress one that was 40 calories and had 65 mg of sodium.

But back to the subject, stick to the juice its easier. And good luck with you weight loss.

Aloha,

Melissa

kaua4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #18  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

maybe equivelent to half a banana?
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #19  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Melissa- You live in Hawaii and you hate fruit? I am in shock. You probably have the best fruit in the world, right there. Especially fresh pinapple. In my world, even fresh fruit is never that fresh. I am forever jealous!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #20  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Katie--great minds!! Seriously, as I read the posts I start forming responses then I get to yours and we are on the same wavelength!! Pineapple was my first thought! My sister lived in Hawaii for a few years and I was so jealous because I LOVE fruit and she hates it! Not fair.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

This conversation reminds me of Oprah's video "Make The Connection" where she was talking about fruit, while eating a big plate of it. She was saying that she "thought" she hated fruit...but as it turned out, she just hated the average fruit that she was used to having around. (The average red delicious apple, for instance.) What she found out, is that she DID like fruit-she just had to branch out and try new things.

Fruit is very important, and in my opinion, juice, even 100%, just doesn't cut it. Actually-I am currently pregnant, and I am also a gestational diabetic-and my doctor told me to AVOID juice because it shoots straight to my bloodstream and spikes the blood sugar. In my medical case, it causes harm to me, and possibly to my baby as well. Juice simply has many of the benefits of fruit "processed out of it".

Fruit and juice are two totally different things to your body. Even applesauce, while acceptable now and then as a fruit serving-is not the best choice. Most of the antioxidants, fiber, and other nutrients in apples are in the skin. A whole apple contains 5 grams of fiber, while a 1/2c. serving of applesauce contains 1-2 grams tops.

Fruit juice contains NONE of the fiber that is in fruit, and except for the teeny bit of pulp in some OJ, the pulp is gone as well. What you are left with, when you drink apple juice and the like, is all of the flavor and the fructose/fruit sugar. There is no pulp or fiber left for you to digest-so it spikes your blood sugar quickly and is gone in a flash-your body doesn't take the time to digest it like it would whole fruit, so it is gone in a jiffy and you are roaming the cabinets for something to eat sooner, and it is unsatisfying to the tummy because there is no fiber or bulk to keep you feeling any fullness from eating.

I do want to say as well, that there is a difference between fruit PUREE and juice. Meaning, if you throw yogurt and some strawberries in the blender for a smoothie-that is fine. You are still getting the bulk and fiber-but in juice it is all thrown away after the fruit is squeezed or pressed.

Back to the Oprah comment-and from my own findings-try to branch out. Try a new fruit or variety of fruit each week. I grew up on Red Delicious and Golden Delicious apples-and now I rarely EVER buy that variety. The different varieties really DO have a different flavor. I prefer Empire apples as my first choice for raw eating, and Gala are probably a close second.

I also grew up on canned pineapple in juice. I still eat this on occasion, but I prefer fresh pineapple now-it has such a better flavor. I also love, love love fresh clementines-much more flavorful than regular oranges in my opinion.
I also treat myself and spend the extra on fresh blueberries, and eat them like I would any snack. My kids eat them like they are M&M's.

The same goes for veggies as well-I grew up on iceburg, and as an adult I prefer romaine and baby spinach for salads instead.

Try a new fruit each week-and eventually you will find something that you like.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #22  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Thanks Aphil. The nutritional concept of fruit vs. juice makes a lot of sense. Congrats on your baby! I love braeburn apples, pink ladies are a close second for me.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have seen the pink ladies...I may have to pick some up!
Thanks!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote