Old 01-31-2006, 10:22 AM   #1  

Question Low-Carb/GI diet advice?

I started a low-carb/low GI diet yesterday and I was just wondering if there was a good book that lists the Glycemic Index of a variety of foods. For right now I am mostly counting carbs and keeping my sugar intake low.

Another thing is, I like the low carb foods, but I absolutely hate lettuce and tomatoes and things that are included in a salad. Every now and then I will eat a grilled chicken salad with light ranch dressing, but not often. I'm really tired of trying to make myself eat salads when I DON'T LIKE THE TASTE OF THEM and I never have! But all I see are meal plans that include salad, salad, and more salad! UGH!

Okay, well enough fussing! But I would really like to understand more about the Glycemic Index and low-carbing it.

Also, is it more important to count carbs or calories? I've not been able to stick to my usual low-cals of 1200, which was not working for me anyway.

Thanks!
~leigh~
leighlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm too cheap to buy a book. I'd go hunting on the internet for those food lists. But you could try putting 'GI Food Lists' in the search at amazon.com and see what it gives you.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:08 PM   #3  
Going to ONEderland

Well I've done Atkins for years. I am not as familiar with low GI, but I'm sure the principles are mostly the same. Meats and fats don't have any carbs. Fish has none. Cheese has some, but not many). Salads don't have many, green vegetables normally don't have many. Some fruits are low carb (mostly berries). Some are not low carb but are low glycemic. Sugars have a lot of carbs, starchy foods too. There are some starchy foods that have a lot of fiber which tend to make them lower GI, and in fact when you are eating low carb, you can often subtract fiber grams from carbohydrate grams to come up with a "net" carb count. I believe this is what makes them low GI, the fiber helps the carbs to absorb more slowly so that they don't spike your blood sugar as much or as rapidly.

You can get Corinne Netzer's "The Complete Book of Food Counts". That is a big help for knowing how many carbs are in things, how much fiber, how many calories etc. It doesn't specifically list what foods are low GI, but like i said I think it is mostly the same, with a few exceptions.

The interesting thing about her book is that she makes it clear that sometimes the way something is cooked (or left raw) may lower or raise the carb count. I suspect this is because your body doesn't absorb as much of the food when it is eaten raw, more of it is fiber and less goes into food energy. More just passes through.

You can join us on the Atkins and low carb website if you like, most of what you are doing is very similar.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

I found this title "The New Glucose Revolution Complete Guide to Glycemic Index Values" on Amazon, but the reviews are mixed.

If you don't like salads, don't eat them. For a way of eating to be successful for life, you must be able to enjoy it. Get your vegetables in other ways. My favorite is Birds Eyes Broccoli Stir-Fry cooked up with a couple of tablespoons of Carb Options Terryaki marinade. Like you, I hate salads but I am learning different ways to prepare a great variety of vegetables in tasty ways. Experiment until you find some preparation methods that work for you.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #5  
girlshoes

Has anyone had any weightloss with the GIdiet?
girlshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

While I am not on the GIdiet, I have made low GI foods the foundation of my lifestyle changes. While it's only been two months, it appears to be working for me. The weight is starting to come off, I'm never hungry, and I'm enjoying the food.

Again, I'm not on the official GIdiet. My diet is 40-45% protein, 25-30% fat (no more than 10% from saturated fat), and 25-35% low GI-carbs focusing on vegetables, fruits (especially berries), and whole grains with the more fiber the better.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #7  
Bringing Sexy Back!

S/C/G: 125kg/125kg/70kg

Height: 164cm

I've been following the low GI diet, and I find it makes me feel a lot better. I've lost 1.5kg in two weeks, but that includes monthly time hitting and weight training. I'm not as hungry, but still get to eat the fruits that I love.
Renny Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #8  

Default GI Diet

Hi there,
I am not following this diet but I have been reading a lot about it.
There is a very easy and good book by Rick Gallup the GI Diet.
In "The Times" (UK newspaer) of this week, you can find a super 28 days plan, with recipes of this diet.
Have fun, and enjoy. I think there is a lot of common sense in this diet.
Sonia
sjordao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #9  

Rick GAllop has 3 books out on the GI diet. THe GI diet, Living the GI diet and something to do with family and the GI diet. I t is a great eating plan for the whole family. I started it yesterday but I know people who have lots 50 -60 lbs and they have changed their lifestlye and are not hungry on this plan. The glucose revolution is another really good book about GI I find this a very healthy way to eat and it is as successful as we choose to make it.
barbie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/173/150/-112

Height: 5'5

try this web site http://www.mendosa.com/
poiuyt2435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #11  

Smile G I Diet

I also have searched for the eating plan for this diet w/o buying the book i have so many in my collection and have not stuck to any of them.I have several co workers that are going to start the no sugar no flour diet tomorrow.I think that is the G I diet and it sounds pretts good any one with more tips or advice will be greatly apperciated.
deputydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:46 AM   #12  
Live..Laugh..Love..

S/C/G: 248/241/223

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie40
Rick GAllop has 3 books out on the GI diet. THe GI diet, Living the GI diet and something to do with family and the GI diet. I t is a great eating plan for the whole family. I started it yesterday but I know people who have lots 50 -60 lbs and they have changed their lifestlye and are not hungry on this plan. The glucose revolution is another really good book about GI I find this a very healthy way to eat and it is as successful as we choose to make it.
Rick's books are awesome...easy to read, great meal plans and definitely worth the purchase IMHO. ..He has a great method of using green light foods eat...yellow use caution..red avoid..simple! He also has a website.

www.gidiet.com
BlynC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:57 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8

Go check out the books at the library- that's what I always do. If I really like them, I will buy them, but I usually read them first because I have wasted too much money on diet books.

I am on a low GI diet through Nutrisystem, and really loving it. I think it's worked well for me.
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote