Old 08-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #16  

I really wish I could! With my back being out it is hard to do much of anything at this point.
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Ok, once your back gets better-exercise!

Have you been to a pysical therapist yet? I used to have back problems-horrible spasms that would knot up my lower back and wouldn't be able to stand up straight for days. I used a lot of bengay and heat pads during that time. I learned some back exercises to strengthen the area, then I started getting a different back pain. It was still a type of spasm but it was a little lower in the back and put pressure on my sciatica nerve and everytime I moved it felt like a needle being shoved in a nerve. Eventually with muscle relaxers, anti inflamitores, this strange little machine that shot electrical pulses through the muscles and a strong lecture about losing weight-which I ignored at the time it got better.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:59 AM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu
Ok, once your back gets better-exercise!

Have you been to a pysical therapist yet? I used to have back problems-horrible spasms that would knot up my lower back and wouldn't be able to stand up straight for days. I used a lot of bengay and heat pads during that time. I learned some back exercises to strengthen the area, then I started getting a different back pain. It was still a type of spasm but it was a little lower in the back and put pressure on my sciatica nerve and everytime I moved it felt like a needle being shoved in a nerve. Eventually with muscle relaxers, anti inflamitores, this strange little machine that shot electrical pulses through the muscles and a strong lecture about losing weight-which I ignored at the time it got better.

Sarah
You bet!!!

I am still seeing the chiropractor. This time is not in my lower back shockingly! It has been in my neck. And it is killer!! It feels like someone is kind of just squeezing the one muscle (you know the one between your neck and shoulder that kind of sticks out a little... your bra strap sits just beside it) and trying to wrip it out or something! When I move I have to move very slowly or the pain is more then bareable. I have used ice packs, heating pads, BioFreeze (kind of like bengay and icyhot but better) you name it. I used a whole tube of biofreeze in a two day period!!!! Which probably was not a good idea!

I don't think my insurance will cover a PT. I am very limited. It is not regular insurance you get from your job. It is a medical card. My husband just started a new job because he was fired from his last job (the first time he has ever been fired) because he was not as fast as he was before he was terribly injured in a car accident! Long story there. Anyway, I am limited to what is covered. This chiropractor is covered or I wouldn't be able to see him either.

I do try to move my head around for some movement but most of the time that hurts a lot. I do try stretching my shoulders, neck and arms through out the day though.

This chiropractor is not using any machines on me! The other's I have seen have used many machines on me... including the one you mentioned! My last chiropractor had be going to a masuse (sp?) once a week for awhile. The current chiropractor adjusts (I call it cracks) my back and neck each time I am there.

Sometimes I wonder if it is actually doing anything for me this time. Which, I know it is because at least I can move a little and sleep in my again! But, I mean, it has been like 2 weeks now! I would have thought I could be living life as normal by now.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #19  

Amazon has great prices on the books. And free shipping if you buy $25 worth.
I meant to say I read the IR diet book several years ago..not I read about protein helping people lose weight because they couldnt eat as much. I just read that article a couple months ago and using that knowledge has helped me tremendously.
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcharm
Amazon has great prices on the books. And free shipping if you buy $25 worth.
I meant to say I read the IR diet book several years ago..not I read about protein helping people lose weight because they couldnt eat as much. I just read that article a couple months ago and using that knowledge has helped me tremendously.
I am addicted to amazon and my bookclub and overstock.com lol. However, if you order more then one book from overstock.com it takes about a month or so sometimes to get your order!!

With amazon and the free shipping method.... how long does it take for the package to arrive? I have always skipped that and took the cheap shipping option in fear that the free option would takes months to deliver lol.

I am going to have to place another order with amazon again soon. Half of the books I am checking into are not available at my bookclub. The IRD book you suggested is one of them not there. I have to order through amazon for that.

Anyway, if you know more about the free shipping please share lol.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:04 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMunday
I am addicted to amazon and my bookclub and overstock.com lol. However, if you order more then one book from overstock.com it takes about a month or so sometimes to get your order!!

With amazon and the free shipping method.... how long does it take for the package to arrive? I have always skipped that and took the cheap shipping option in fear that the free option would takes months to deliver lol.
I totally agree about Overstock. I love love love Amazon's free delivery though. Most times they deliver your packages in about the same time it would take if you had paid for the shipping! I just ordered from them a couple weeks ago - on a Thursday and received my items by that next Tuesday - free shipping rocks!
SlimCurvesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:40 PM   #22  

I am not a fan of the O! Last time I ordered 10 items I got one of them. And I waited and waited..asked for a refund and they dragged their heels..had to "investigate" It took forever to get my money back.
Amazon will take a few extra days for the free shipping..but I usually wait. However, once they ship I get it within a couple days..but that may be where I am located.
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:16 PM   #23  
Kris

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/180

Height: 5'8"

Default Curves - save some $

There are a times in the year when the joiner fee is waived - that is how I joined in March. Instead of money, I brought in a bag of food during their annual food bank campaign. Also, check with the clubs in the local area - I have recently seen an ad for $69 but I don't have the details - it may be for their new nutrition class that is coming up.
Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:53 PM   #24  

I have to admit... O is bad about missing packages!! And it happens more frequently (sp?) then not!!! I have not ordered from them since they lost my package and took forever to re-send the stuff I ordered!

Amazon is pretty fast! I will have to try there free shipping next time! My bookclub takes forever to ship things!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:53 PM   #25  

Kansas, thanks for the info. I will keep my eyes open.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:06 AM   #26  
SizeableCealy

S/C/G: 313/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzyg
I was a member at curves for a year, about 3 years ago. I did one of their challenges, and they used the meal plan from the book.

I found it really hard for me to follow. It was based on a low carb type diet, and that was just too difficult for me to follow.

I did find though, that I never lost weight during my year at Curves. I lost inches though. Near the end, I started doing WW with my mom and kept going to Curves... that was the only time that I saw an actual weight loss.

I think if you combined some sort of diet plan and Curves you'll see a better result than just doing Curves alone.

I'm currently doing WW, and have done pretty well on it.

Good luck with whatever you try, and the Curves diet didn't seem bad, I just had a hard time following it. I was also living at home, and had to make do with what food my mom had bought, so that also made it a tad more difficult than had I been living on my own. And the job I had at the time, made it hard too, for me to eat the small meals through out the day that it called for.

~Liz
My daughter is almost 13 and is a bit over weight for her height and age.
I bought the Curves book a while ago and started reading it. I told her about it and she seems to like the way they do their weightloss planning. Only thing is, there are no meal plans. Would you happen to have meal plans that she could use?
Thanks in advance,
Cealy
Cealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #27  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

As for exercise with back problems, try the SWIMMING POOL. And I don't mean just swimming! The buoyancy of the water will relieve the pressure on your back (as you weigh less in a pool). Try WALKING in the pool, from one side of the pool to the other, for 15-20 minutes. Get deep enough to give you some buoyancy but still keep your feet on the bottom of the pool. If you like, you can add a buoyancy belt to help you stay afloat. There are a number of exercises you can do in the pool with aquaweights (foamy weights), leg exercises while holding onto the side of the pool, and tummy exercises using a pool noodle.
As for metabolism, you may not be eating enough calories! I was on 424 calories A DAY (Dr. supervised, Dr. prescribed) and not losing a thing. Find a 1000-1200 a day plan, eat a balanced diet, hit the pool (even floating around is better than sitting on the couch!) and be patient!
Good luck!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #28  
SizeableCealy

S/C/G: 313/310/180

When I was on WW just after my son was born I did aqua fit, its a God send!
I lost 70lbs-not including baby weight, I had that off before I started.
I started one day a week, and when I found it wasn't as hard to do, I added a second day a week, until I went 5 nights a week. My abs were strong, my thighs tight, and my calves from walking in the water, wow!

Im at my heaviest Ive ever been, looking for a new bathing suit to start all over again, once again.
Aquafit is the best exercise out there for anyone with knee, hip or back injury and our YMCA even has a Cardiac Aquafit class, for those who have had any heart problems.

Good luck,
C
Cealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #29  

I've seen the curves diet work beautiful on many curves members. Go to your local curves and ask for the latest member guide, the information there is different than the old Curves book. Baylor U is conducting a 5 year study on the curves workout & diet plan, the changes were made a while back after some of the results from their research. I personally know one lady that has been doing Curves for 2 months and she has lost 30 lbs. She started the workout first and lost only 4lbs she's been doing the 6 week plan and now is at 30lbs. Good luck
labebaloca is offline   Reply With Quote