Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Pllllttttt... pretty much blew today. Too much running around and my children were temporally possessed by satan. Well, I hope it was temporary, anyway. Today was supposed to be create time and energy. I was reading through the chapter last night after 11:00, at 11:25 I was folding laundry, at 12:05 am I finally laid my head on my pillow and at 12:12 the baby was up to be fed. At 1:30 the baby was up to be fed. At 3:30 the baby was up to be fed. So, needless to say, I was not feeling energetic or as if I had an abundance of time today and let that be my focus instead of how I could make this work in my life as it is. SO, tomorrow is a do-over. I am going to make every effort to go to bed earlier and WORK through the chapter and be creative. My time is not my own right now for the most part and that is just the way it is. My job now becomes how to make this work within the confines of this life season.

Gardenerjoy-- Sigh. I really don't know what to say, that is so very sad. Good for you to recognize with such specificity what your challenges will be.

BBE-- I envy your walk to the store. Get in some exercise and some healthy food. Plus you can read about babies born with bunny ears b/c their mom ate to many carrots while they were pregnant on your way home.

Sheperdess-- I have had the thrill of PT and I tend to agree with the torture part. You are a good wife with your sore abs!

Beach Patrol-- spaghetti in a bowl... wish I had thought to do that. Glad your week is going better. mid-70's weather sounds delightful!

Futurefitchick-- I, too, have done food removal. My husband thought I had lost my mind. Dance DVDs sound like fun. Grad school is indeed possible for us!! There are some really impressive people with ADD. Just a matter of finding what we are good at that works for how we function, I think

Have a great night!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #137  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies A pretty good day. Not perfect, but good. I was mostly on plan, got back on track, and got my run in. Still feeling good with the planning and recording, and it is good to be reminded that this feels like a comforting ritual rather than a punishment. The parking lot is working great for cravings at home, and the problem area in the last couple days is unexpected food popping up at work. I have awareness for tomorrow.

KidsLibrarylady LOL about the pasta. Too long to eat. BTDT. I lost my weight originally without kids in the house, and it is a lot harder with them around.

You kids cannot be possessed because all the demons are here at my place. But sounds like you need some sleep!

gardenerjoy I'm so sorry about your brother's SO and your parents. It is good to see you staying on the path of health that I'm sure they'd want for you, even during challenging times.

BillBE Hope you beat your deadline, and I'll always second a Yay for coffee. Give the Memory Cards a shot. It is amazing the things I forget. Not so much the Big Stuff, but the little day to day stuff that is absent on tough days and makes carrying on worthwhile.

Shepherdess PT sounds so traumatic. Black bean soup sounds so good though!

Beach Patrol The bowl of spaghetti sounds like a great portion-control strategy. Glad you enjoyed your walk.

FutureFitChick Just wow on pulling the food out of your mouth until you sat. Wow! I must admit sacrificing sitting because of the kids, but always strove for mindfulness. Must get back in the habit.

Anne
Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #138  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Surfacing here after a weekend at an out of town craft show! The show went well, but now the house is chaos, and we have shows the next 4 weekends. I did track all my food while away, credit. I didn't gain any weight, in spite of some difficulty avoiding snacks, yay! Tomorrow is lunch with my retired volunteer from work at a place where "ladies lunch", so nothing on the menu is really appropriate for being healthy, sigh. I need to go to bed, but I did read through everyone's posts to catch up, and hope to do personals sometime soon.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #139  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for all the support, everyone! I do have some real world support as well, but it's nice to have support here where it sits 24 hours a day and I know it will be there anytime I want to look.

My brother and his SO took a quick trip to her home town so she can say good-bye to her family before starting hospice care, which makes me cry every time I think about it.

Rained today. I got myself to a write-in at the mall 45 minutes early to force myself to walk and it worked. I'm still attempting to write because NaNoWriMo is something my brother and I do together. He's not sure that he's going to keep working on his, but he might -- in fact his SO might push him on that when they get back in town so that he's doing something positive and forward-looking. He's way ahead of me on word count and can afford to miss a few days. I want to stay close enough to caught up that I could make that final push with him if he chooses to do it.

WI: -0.7kg (new low), Exercise: +45, 744/1300 minutes for November, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no
Old 11-18-2009, 05:06 AM   #140  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Long day at the office and headed for another. Stayed the guillotine for the day, but there's a week of this to go. Interesting that I didn't think about food all day; CREDIT moi. I recall the days that I'd be buying two Hersey's Chocolate Bar with Almonds on each trip to the vending machines. Someone gave DW a nice cookie to bring home to me - "know he'll want this." I graciously accepted then graciously asked DW to make it go away. Cookies are allocated to rare events and they have to be worth thier weight.

Took my after work walk even though it was dark; CREDIT moi. I suppose I should get used to this - it seems to happen every year, LOL.

Anne (wndranne) - Yay for "comforting ritual rather than a punishment." Food at work should be banned just like smoking has been.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yay for selling well at your weekend craft show and Kudos for sufficiently avoiding snacks to maintain.

FutureFitChick - Neat to catch yourself standing in mid-bite. That should whack a few neurons into new paths, LOL.

KidsLibraryLady - I had wondered where Satan had landed after my kids grew into humans, LOL. Good luck with that feeding schedule. Yep, babies born with bunny ears is just the kind of article I get to read and, WARNING TMI, would you believe that Hollywood stars when they think they aren't being observed sometimes show the edge of their underwear? SHOCKING - all for $4.95.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for crying; a long time loving somebody means a lot of grieving to process. Kudos for continuing your NaNoWriMo writing; hope you can help your brother to continue.

Beach Patrol - Kudos for using a "BOWL" for portion control. Jealous of your mild 70 degree weather. Did you get a good soaking from last week's storm?

Shepherdess - Yay for "brutal task master" and Yay for black bean soup. Ouch for "torture" and electricity running through his leg. Kudos for being such a good friend to do tough exercises in solidarity.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8
Create Time and Energy

Don't assume that time and energy will magically make itself available to you. If you're like most people, your days may already be very busy with work, family responsibilities, housework, social events, volunteer work, and other commitments. Most of the dieters I've counseled over the years couldn't consistently find the time they needed to follow their diets until they created the time. In other words they needed to look at their calendars and - in writing - schedule in time for dieting. Often this meant decreasing, delegating, or eliminating some tasks or responsibilities.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 97.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #141  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

working on my 3rd 100% op day

Ive found a work out partner of sorts. More like a virtual one who is going to help tweek my workouts and keep me accountable.

Things are just crazy right now, Im being forced to jump thru some hoops by the govt to update my status here. Stuff that is tedious and I really dont want to do Oh well.

Work has quieted down, but we have alot of things planned and in the works. So that is keeping us very busy.

Thats it for me....have a great day everyone!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, I read last night in Beck about the Hunger/Desire/Craving. I had planned to do it today, but forgot until after I'd already eaten my breakfast, so I will leave a note on the milk in the refrigerator tonight to remind me tomorrow morning. Yesterday, when tracking all of my food, in my head I feel like I ate very healthy yesterday. But, when I look at my food log and my calorie total, I feel like I must not have stopped eating all day long. My point it, I'm glad I had such a vast difference between my feelings about what I ate and the nutrition of what I ate, as it reinforces the importance of the food log. My food plan for last night got thrown out the window when I had to finish watching some DVDs I had rented and then it was to late to make what I planned (my husband wasn't feeling well, so this also made preparing an elaborate meal seem not worthwhile). Also did not implement "It's not about me" strategy when a coworker brought in cupcakes leftover from her son's birthday party. Next time... WI: no change, read cards 2x, sat and ate all meals yesterday in a mindful manner; still do not have a firm exercise plan commitment yet.

BillBlueEyes, I'm really impressed that you didn't turn to food when your work was so hectic. (What great teachers you all are, really!) May the work fairy bless you with exceptional productivity today!

Gardenerjoy, don't even know where to begin. I can't imagine the strength that is being built in all of you surrounding this difficult issue. What courage she must have! Great job for sticking to the writing and for getting the walking in. I am really happy for you that you are still making that a priority.

KidsLibraryLady, I am so excited for you that you are posting even when you have an off day. That is really impressive. (I'm already in awe of anyone trying to manage their day with 2 little ones at home.) That is all a major CREDIT to you!

Nuxmaga, great job for tracking while you were away. I find that really tough to day, since when I eat out, I feel like I am taking a stab in the dark at how a restaurant might have "contaminated" the healthfulness of my selected food. Good luck on getting the house back in order.

RobinW, nice job of staying on plan. I hope all of the paperwork isn't as bad as you dread!

Wndranne, great job for staying on track with your food log and plan, and as always, running. (I am always amazed at people that make themselves run!) Also, great job for the parking lot for cravings. I think this will become really important to my long-term success and am so glad you shared it. Lastly, good luck today on the magical work food. Hopefully it will disappear from your mind! P.S., thanks for the wow to me! It felt like a hug on this end!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 11-20-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #143  
Lovin' Life

futurefitchick~ its never as bad as I make it out to be. But this is the kind of stuff I really dislike doing. I just want it all to be ok and not have to do anything about it LOL Its not as easy as they made it out to be in "The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock LOL
Old 11-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #144  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Another day of planning and recording. I had a run-in with a Reese's PB Cup at work, but mostly OK other than that. Running in the morning. A reasonably uneventful day, and I only went nonlinear once at work.

Margaret Good job tracking while you were away. Hope you can find something healthy at lunch, and barring that, something at least enjoyable and portion-controlled.

gardenerjoy Walking at the mall during the rain sounds like a great alternative. Hope your writing is going the way you want it.

BillBE Wishing your week goes quickly or slowly as appropriate. I find some deadlines very stressful and some a relief.

RobinW Hooray for OP days! Hooray for planned days in general!

FutureFitChick Sounds like the food log is going to be a good tool for you. I think sticking the milk is a great solution to early morning memory problems.

Tired tonight and not feeling very chatty. Credit moi for checking in anyway, and I hope you are all having a good day!

Anne
Old 11-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #145  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Well, lunch was better than I expected. I had the soup special of minestrone, and a caesar salad. Next time I'll ask for dressing on the side. Declined dessert, yay! Had a run-in with potato chips and eggnog, but much less damage than last week's encounter. I need to do some strategizing when I go shopping at stores that claim to be "discount" or "bargain" or "department" stores, because they all have so much junk food for sale, and I have a big weak spot in those types of places.

Tracked food, credit. No Zumba, but did walk, and get 8500+ steps. Fighting off a cold, which of course creates sabotaging thoughts about the quantity of orange juice I can drink. . .
Old 11-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #146  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Knowing that dinner was happening after 8pm, I earlier had a cup of miso soup (35 cals); CREDIT moi. I bought the individual packets of miso soup two years ago and forget to use them. It did the trick of allowing me to approach dinner without that ravenous pseudo-hunger making me want to wolf down the food.

Work, eat, gym - CREDIT moi for the usual.

maryblu - Waving. What do you think of Nutrition Action Health Letter recommending that creatine helps build muscle? Is that stuff OK to use?

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for things planned and in the works; Ouch for government forms to fill out. Neat that you've found a way to be accountable with your exercise.

Anne (wndranne) - LOL at "nonlinear once at work" - can't be a bad day if you can count the number. I'm grateful that I'm not a fan of peanut butter and chocolate combo; those Reese's PB cups will get ya.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Neat lunch. Kudos for identifying that the "bargain" stores are a trigger for junk food. I know about coming home with a humongous bag of something junk.

FutureFitChick - Yay for a healthy eating day. Ouch for someone's leftover cupcakes - we just gotta change the social norm so that it's considered rude to bring gratuitous calories to the office.

Readers -
Quote:
day 9
Select an Exercise Plan

Although many people attempt to lose weight through dieting alone, research clearly supports that your long-term success depends on also getting regular exercise. Results from the National Weight Control Registry - a study of thousands of participants who have lost more than 30 pounds and maintained that weight loss for at least a year - show that nearly 90 percent of dieters who lose weight and keep it off do so with a combination of diet and exercise , only 10 percent use diet alone, and 1 percent rely on only exercise.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 107.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Exercise has been good the past few days. I have gotten my running in, despite high winds. I have been chipping away at the weights, doing a few exercises every time I make DH do his PT. My food has also been on track, despite some major schedule changes. I’ve been planning ahead so I have my snacks and everything with me. No excuse to stop and get something unhealthy.

Beach Patrol, yay for feeling better and kudos for getting back on track so quickly. I loved the idea of using a bowl for spaghetti portion control. I’ll have to remember that one.

FuturefitChick, good job recognizing the importance of the food log. I look forward to the day when I can keep a mental log, but that is a long way off for me. I have found Beck’s hunger/desire/craving so useful, but I’m still pretty inconsistent about analyzing every desire to eat.

KidsLibrarylady, LOL at the kids temporarily possessed by Satan. You definitely deserve a do-over. Hope your children have had their demons fully exorcized.

Wndranne, kudos for running and for getting back on track. And kudos for a positive attitude, seeing the planning as a comforting ritual rather than a punishment. Good job only going non-linear once at work.

Nuxmaga, good job tracking food while at the craft show. Sounds like you have a busy month ahead of you. Good job at the ladies lunch, and kudos for damage control with eggnog and chips. Nice recognition of the pitfalls of bargain shopping.

Gardenerjoy, your brother’s SO sounds like a wonderful person for encouraging your brother to do something positive and forward-looking. Kudos for sticking with your writing and I hope your brother is able to as well.

BillBE, glad you are staying the guillotine at work. Kudos for avoiding snacks at work. The miso soup sounds like a good trick. Kudos for planning ahead.

RobinW, kudos for 3 days OP and good luck jumping through hoops. Wish you could count that as exercise. It’s certainly more exhausting than a workout. Yay for a workout buddy to keep you accountable.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #148  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuxmaga View Post
Fighting off a cold, which of course creates sabotaging thoughts about the quantity of orange juice I can drink. . .
Nuxmaga - just thought I'd say that when I was sick last week, I didn't worry about my O.J. quantity. O.J. is SO good for you (if it's pure, you know, no sugar or extra stuff added) and really helps your immune system. So I drank 2-3 glasses per day. I credit O.J. for helping me feel better faster... along with Chicken Noodle Soup and lots & lots of rest - feel better soon!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #149  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Hey Everybody!

Shepherdess ~ way to go in "planning ahead"!!! It really does help to not get off track & go the unhealthy route. You go girl!

Bill ~ work, eat, gym, WOO HOO, WOO HOO, WOO HOO!!!

wdnranne ~ a run with a Reese's PB cup at work, eh? I had one of those too! But I had "snack" on my plan for 3pm .... and I don't believe that ONE RPBcup can make or break me! - you're doing just fine! Keep up the good work!

FFChick ~ good for you for noticing the difference between feelings about what you ate and the nutrition of what you ate, because knowing exactly what is going in our mouth is a BIG PART of controlling what goes in our mouth! Kudos for keeping your food log!!!

gardenerjoy ~ yay for your "NEW LOW" and YAY for your exercise and BIG YAY for eating OP! Now it's time to get serious about reading those Advantages and Responses cards!!!! You can do it!!

As for me... I have been eating VERY healthy and getting in my daily walking exercise. I'm down ONE MORE pound! So YAY ME! And another credit for reading my response cards 2x per day (breakfast & dinner) and not giving in to stupid cravings! WOOTAGE and YEEHAW!

~EVERYDAY'S A NEW DAY!!!!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 11-19-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #150  
Lovin' Life

found out today Im at stage one of hyper tension.

....that kept me at 100% op!!!!!! Even going to get my butt to the gym tonight, and practice deep breathing in a relaxing soaking tub tonight.

I asked if I could try diet and exercise to lower for a couple months to see if I can lower it that way. Rather than being put on meds (which I DONT want) So, she gave me 3 months!

Ive been doing alot of research this afternoon, and it seems aside from the usual stuff, I really need to reduce my stress.

OnWard Ho!!!!! Catching it before it takes over! I WILL be healthy happy and love my life

...have a wonderful evening coaches.
Closed Thread