Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #31  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I entertain much like that, too...but I'm an entertainer and hostess at heart (as you seem to be!). Most of my friends don't/can't reciprocate the types of menus I do, but it's never bothered me...as long as they fulfill the basic obligations of hostess etiquette rules, I'm happy (and if I follow my guest rules, I never feel weird or offended either). That's why I love etiquette rules...keep feelings from getting hurt and resentments from getting built!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #32  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Amanda - I think your post about responsibilities is right on.

As for vegetarian grilling, when we did it with my brother in law, we used 2 grills. Although if I only had one grill, I'd probably make something vegetarian non grilled. I'd also ask guests to bring a dish. I don't entertain though and I don't like to entertain. I usually go over to my inlaws and cook for them and they are happy with that. Last Thanskgiving, I told them that they could cook a turkey if they wanted but I wasn't cooking it. I'd cook everything else. They opted for the vegan thanksgiving and they loved it.

ETA - I was also thinking about this earlier today and another example is quite the opposite. When I go visit my family in California and if there is a family party, I'll bring my own food and eat with my family. Since our family parties are big, its not like anyone really notices. If there are things acceptable to my diet at the party, I'll eat those as well but I think the most important part is sharing time with my family, not having to worry about what food they might be prepping and how I may have nothing to eat. I also don't want to have to explain to my 80+ year old grandma about how I can't have beans/tortillas with lard or rice with chicken stock and that she'd have to change everything for me.

Last edited by nelie; 07-14-2009 at 10:22 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 189/151.8/135

Height: 5'3"

Wow this posting sure took on a life of its own... lol

p.s. mom is making grilled chicken and veggies tonight!
NicoleN1101 is offline   Reply With Quote