Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #1  
Looking for a waist!

S/C/G: 263/248/163

Height: 5'9"

Default Protein powders? I need guidance!

Hello everybody--

I saw that The Biggest Loser is promoting their own protein powder now and for once I felt like it was something I wanted to try.

I've always been afraid of the big "MUSCLE BUILDING" tub of powder from GNC because they type of people I've seen using it are not like me at all!

What experiences do you all have with protein powder?

What do you put it in?

I also got a coupon for this Special K protein powder mix for water but I couldn't find it at the grocery store.

I think it might be a nice addition to oatmeal or if I make my own yogurt drink with fruit (in the blender). And I really like the idea of the water drink one since I can keep it in my backpack during school.

Thank you everyone!!
elle w 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #2  
Workin' It

I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey, Vanilla Ice Cream Flavored, and like it a lot. I've also used Trader Joe's brand. I have to be careful with the flavoring in some of them because Splenda makes me crazy sick. This flavor is Splenda free, as is the ON 100% Natural, the TJ, several of the others.
I make fruit smoothies every morning with whey, yogurt, milk, banana, assorted frozen fruit. I tried mixing it with water - not too bad, but not the greatest texture. Maybe if I had one of those shaker bottles with the bead in the top to help break up and blend...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #3  
FB

I use Nature's Best Whey Isolate Isopure daily for post workout nutrition, and occasionally Myogenix Myo Lean as a meal replacement (rare occasion, I like chewing my food!).

I usually use water in it, sometimes milk or yogurt. I add instant coffee to my chocolate ones for a little Frappucino flashback, I also sometimes add peanut or almond butter.

I find a small cheap hand mixer to be a great help with blending them. Shakers work, but I like the smoother texture from the mixer - particularly when I add stuff in.

GNC is VERY expensive for supplements, the markup is insane. Try Amazon or a local shop before heading there.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #4  
Looking for a waist!

S/C/G: 263/248/163

Thank you both for your advice! If anyone else has something to offer, I would still appreciate hearing what others do/use.
elle w 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #5  
Workin' It

The hand mixer does do a really great job mixing... I have one I keep forgetting to use.

One thing, I did try mxing chocolate whey powder with hot coffee and it didn't work so well... Don't know why, but it was all clumpy even with the mixer and pretty darn disgusting.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #6  
FB

I've tried that too - but with hot espresso shots! Ek! The instant coffee powder works great.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up ON Gold Standard Whey

I use whey protein powder mixed with about 6 ounces of non-fat milk before each gym session with weights. I have come to believe the folks who think it helps to rebuild the stressed muscles. I'm not trying to bulk up like a body builder - just to help the muscles along. I've only been doing it for about a year and am not sure if it does what I think it's supposed to do.

I have used different brands, mostly looking for a good price and convenient place to buy it. By strange coincidence, I just bought a 5.17 pound container of Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey, Vanilla Ice Cream Flavored at Bally's gym on Monday when they had it reduced to $35.99. Haven't tried it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey, Vanilla Ice Cream Flavored, and like it a lot.
Good grief, LOL. I'm glad to hear that you like it since I didn't know what it tasted like. (I know, bought a whole bunch for not knowing how it tasted, LOL.)

ETA: I once mixed it in the non-fat milk I poured over my morning granola. That didn't work for me; the sweet taste of the whey protein seemed to clash with the molasas taste of the granola. If I ever come to believe that I need the dietary protein, I suspect that I can find a combination that will work with my granola.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-12-2009 at 12:50 PM.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/134/132

Height: 5'8"

I use 100% Gold Standard Whey, the chocolate one. I wanted to get the Vanilla ice cream, to make other flavors with it, but my husband and the guy who sold it said choco. My husband doesn't like sweets, but the way I make it makes him love chocolate.
For my preworkout (I go first thing in the morning) I mix 1 scoop+ 8oz of 0% fat milk+half banana+ 1tea spoon pure cocoa powder (no sugar in it). I like it to be very chocolaty. All mixed in the blender. For postworkout same amounts, just instead of cow milk, I use soy milk (it is part of my breakfast, I put it on my 1/2 cup of cereals with some nuts along).

Next time I am getting the vanilla icecream, to be able to do it not only with cocoa powder, but instead blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and so on.

I have been using it for more then 2 weeks now (new at this too), because I was not pleased with the food I ate before workout (I just can not do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, or with other foods), and my breakfast was not enough. During the workout and the day I felt tired, my muscles were not recovering as they should have. I have noticed very good improvements, and I am telling you something I would have never said a month ago: I am pro protein shakes. You just need to find the one that suits you best, there are more types.

Last edited by Bubu; 03-16-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Bubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 310/250/140

Height: 5'4"

I use Andrew Lessman Secure protien powder. It comes in many flavors,only 70cal per scoop and mixes completely without a blender.
Badgerette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerette View Post
I use Andrew Lessman Secure protien powder. It comes in many flavors,only 70cal per scoop and mixes completely without a blender.
Is that a complete meal replacement?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

I just bought some Hemp Protein powder its got 120 calories, 3 grams of fat, .4grams of omega-3, 1.1grams of omega-6, .25 of omega-9, 14 carbs all fiber, 1 gram soluble and 13 insoluble, and 11grams of protein. I don't know what it taste like but it smells like walnuts

ETA: I wasn't very hungry tonight so I made a shake for dinner. Its not bad, a little grainy but then again I used strawberries, so it could be the seeds...lol I only used half a serving since I was a little afraid of all the fiber at once...lol total recipe is 1 cup skim milk, 1/2 a serving of the powder 107 grams of frozen strawberries and 103 grams of banana, tsp of vanilla. Total calories is about 275

Last edited by willow650; 03-17-2009 at 05:56 PM.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #12  

The 100% Gold Standard Whey has 130 calories, 1.5g fat, 4g of carbs, 24g of protein.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #13  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

Wow I have been wondering about this as well. I am starving after my kettlebell workout and my husband suggested this. I am looking to build more muscle and add more protein to my diet. How else can you use it?
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #14  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

also which is better - whey or soy?
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviemc View Post
Wow I have been wondering about this as well. I am starving after my kettlebell workout and my husband suggested this. I am looking to build more muscle and add more protein to my diet. How else can you use it?
You can make it with water and ice, milk, add fruits, or even add it in your yogurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviemc View Post
also which is better - whey or soy?
The latest research have showed that soy has been unfairly bashed because of the estrogen type of hormone it contains. It is as good as whey. Depends now on the kind of protein you want, need and process.

Soy protein is approved for those who are lactose intolerant and/or vegetarians.
The value of protein is bigger in whey then in soy. Whey has more essential amino acids, is a little better digested, but soy has more glutamine (transports nitrogen to your tissues -> muscle cell volume,) and arginine (for mental and physical fatigue)

So in the end is just a matter of choice. I choose my whey (faster hydrowhey isolate) based on higher protein intake, lower carbs, lower fat. I mix it with skim milk preworkout, and with soy milk postworkout. It is a matter of choice again, to my needs.

You have more types. You have the weight gainers (mass), with more calories, with protein and a higher carb, always include a few fat. Choose from whey protein, whey protein isolate, cassein, egg protein, and soy one. You also have the meal replacement ones, of course there are the highest in calories to replace your food. And the ones who are good for loosing weight, usually involving protein and lower carb (keep the muscle, but loose the fat - usually doing it just from food it gets you loosing too much muscle too, that's why it is good to supplement the protein, but not higher carb intake).

Last edited by Bubu; 03-18-2009 at 12:19 AM.