Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
It's much more logical to me then WW. Doesn't leave the door open for "free" foods. 1 point is a wide range of calories. Which would NOT work for me. When I purchase things with calorie contents on them (yogurt, veggie burgers, etc) , it gives me the calorie content, not the WW points value. For me, if I'm going to keep tally of something (foods that I eat), why not track them accurately ? It really just makes more sense to me.
This is exactly how I feel as well.

And at this point I've been calorie counting so long that I know what a lot of things are (or can get close). I know that my small apple is 80 cals. I know that my oatmeal in the morning is 150 cals. I know that my container of yogurt is 160 cals. Etc., etc.

I also plan my meals and snacks, but I know that if I'm not in the mood for one thing one day, I can swap it out with another day and keep track of the cals that way.

But, one thing I've found is that as my relationship with food changes, I'm less influenced by "I don't want that". Now to me food is fuel as much as anything else so there's less of "I don't want to eat what I planned to eat" because it's just about feeding my body. I just fix it and eat it because it's healthy and it does the job.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that I don't still enjoy my food - I still love food and love to cook and love to eat. And I still crave certain foods. But for me it's often less a case of "I'm not in the mood for that" as it is getting a craving for somthing and figuring out how to add it in. For example, tonight my planned dinner was around 450 cals and included some chicken that I'd already grilled and quinoa. But on the way home I realized i was craving avocado, so I made a salad with avocado and tomato and onion and cucumber instead of the quinoa and stayed w/in my 450 cal level.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
For example, tonight my planned dinner was around 450 cals and included some chicken that I'd already grilled and quinoa. But on the way home I realized i was craving avocado, so I made a salad with avocado and tomato and onion and cucumber instead of the quinoa and stayed w/in my 450 cal level.

The power of suggestion
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Hahah. Totally!!!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #19  
eat less, move more!

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
But, one thing I've found is that as my relationship with food changes, I'm less influenced by "I don't want that". Now to me food is fuel as much as anything else so there's less of "I don't want to eat what I planned to eat" because it's just about feeding my body. I just fix it and eat it because it's healthy and it does the job.
This is good advice.
It reminds me that i once thought of food that way. Food is for fuel. And once i got into that mindset i was able to not just conquer but stop having cravings.
Billies Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I've done WW on and off, and had originally lost 80 lbs with it.

I've done WW more or less for the last 5 years or so, so I have a lot of points memorized for things. It's just easier for me to keep track of...

I think both can work great, it's just a matter of what will work better in your life.

I don't per se plan out every day because it just doesn't work well, but since I eat a lot of the same foods, I can sub them like someone else said

With either cal counting or ww, I do have trouble spreading my points through out the day...I worry about running out pre-emptively.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #21  
Low-Rise Jeans Bound!

S/C/G: 171/157/135

Height: 5'10''

I'm a big fan of weight watchers. I've found that having a food tracker where you write down what you eat and check off your required fruit/veggies, water, and milk throughout the day really helps me eat all of the right things. Plus, I cheat less on weight watchers because it seems like you have way less wiggle room. Eating something that knocks out a fourth of your points in one go is a huge deterrent, whereas with calorie counting, I could justify splurges because in my head I told myself I still had a thousand or so calories left.
tinypurplefishez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:57 PM   #22  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

Both is great but like as others have said calorie counting is free.
I am a calorie counter also. Weight watchers Is To me An expensive Similiar method.(I know many have success with ww ~So please do not be offended) I Just think that counting calories is personally the best way to go~For example~ what if you do not have there foods or Info with you one day? In calorie counting you learn the do's & dont's of most all foods you come in contact with Pretty promptly~And This helps not to slip up .Meaning That calorie counting better helps prepare us for everyday foods we come in contact with.I know weight watchers helps with food also but Most I know that lost weight with ww used there products also & was clueless when they was Not around there products.(PLEASE ww People do not get mad at me~I have friends who have lost great with it~it just is personally not for me.)I just think cc is best way to go but hey ww may work great for you so Like someone stated before maybe try both and see which works better for you..GOOD LUCK

Last edited by Lori259; 12-31-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #23  

Height: 5'10

I just think calorie counting is easier because most foods you buy in the grocer have calories on the back of the packaging. If you buy fruits and vegetables, you can go online and find the calories in it. They have a ton of websites based on counting calories in thousands of foods and restaurants. Even in New York, stores and restaurants are now required to list the amount of calories they have in there meals

It just seems to me that everywhere we go, things are geared towards people who count calories so it seems easier that you would use that tool because it's basically everywhere

The only thing I would like about weight watchers is the meetings and weigh-ins. I just think that is such a huge motivator. The program, in my opinion really isn't that big of a deal since it's so similar to counting calories. I wish there was a place like weight watchers but you could follow any plan you want. Just come in, get weighed, and get tips & support from everyone.

Last edited by sweetlovin; 12-31-2008 at 11:51 AM.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote