Old 11-10-2008, 06:01 AM   #1  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Default Has anyone ever tried a 'full liquid diet'?

Before you all jump on me, this is not the same as a clear liquid diet, which is just coffee, tea, water, fruit juice and broth.

It's more about the consistency - you can have quite a few different things so long as it is pureed - like baby food. I would be eating the same calories as I do now - just in soft food instead of normal food.

My problem is I think I might have IBS - I tend to get very bloated and constipated. I have to take laxatives once a week to get things moving, which works, but I really don't like having to do it.

By the end of the day I look about 5 months pregnant when I stop pulling my tummy in. With a BMI of 23 - I shouldn't be looking like that.

So my thought was if I eat food that is mushy, it should move through more easily, right?

On a full liquid diet, you can eat the following things:
All fruit juices and nectars
Bouillon, broth
Butter/cream/oil/margarine
Carbonated beverages
Cheese soup
Coffee/Tea
Fresh or frozen plain yogurt
Fruit drinks
Fruit punch
Honey/jelly/syrup
Ice milk
Liquid meal replacements
Milk, all types
Milkshakes
Pasteurized eggnog
Plain cornstarch pudding
Plain gelatin desserts
Potatoes pureed in soup
Refined/strained cooked cereal
Small amounts of strained meat in broth or gelatin
Smooth ice cream
Soft or baked custard
Strained lemonade/limeade
Strained or blenderized soup
Thin fruit purees
Tomato juice
Tomato puree for cream soup
Vegetable juice
Water

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? I thought I'd try it for a week and see what happens.

If it does the trick, then I thought I would continue doing that during the day, but having normal meals in the evening - I don't think I could eat like that forever - lol! But I made an amazing smoothie made of 1/3 glass of milk, some strawberry puree I originally made for my baby, and a carton of yogurt - it tastes amazing! So I am having that for lunch with a WW tomato soup.

Last edited by Robsia; 11-10-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:40 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

First of all you should see a dr. I have IBS and i take medicine as needed for it. You should see a dr to rule out other things that might be the cause.
When i have a bad bout of IBS i go to very soft bland foods but soft drinks are a no no. I take fiber choice tablets daily and they really help. I have to wait until my colon settles down some and then i try to start increasing my fiber. My dr told to shoot for 30mg a day. I dont get that many but its a good goal to try and great for your colon health. Please check with a dr about what is going on with you!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Well...I also have IBS (since childhood) and no, just because something is mushy, does not mean that it will move through more quickly.

I recommend seeing your doctor. What type of foods will best help you will depend on whether your problem is mainly constipation, diarrhea, or a combination of both.

Fiber is important if the problem is mainly constipation, and so is WATER. I can't stress that enough. Also, there are certain foods that have fiber, but also act as stool softeners-prunes and apples, for instance.

The food list that you posted has very little fiber in it...
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Honestly it doesn't sound very healthy to me. The first thing I noticed was what Aphil pointed out - very very little fiber in that list.

It sounds like a bit of a fad, truthfully.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsia View Post
I don't think I could eat like that forever - lol!
Seriously, I'm not meaning to jump on you...but...finding an eating plan you can do forever is the key to successful & permanant weight loss
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yes, yes check with your Doctor!

In the mean time ... experiment. This happens to me when I eat too much dairy or potatoes. A diet of overly processed foods can cause trouble too but I'm pretty sure Robsia's too smart for junk food.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I would only do this under medical supervision. With some GI conditions a low output diet can be useful but could be worsen your condition if its not suitable for you.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #8  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Echoing the "see a doctor" comments....a healthcare professional can diagnose your condition and give you a healthy diet for it.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Isn't all food baby food after you chew it?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

My understanding is that the soft food diets are better for jaw trouble than IBS (otherwise, thorough chewing would be sufficient).

I also have IBS and particular foods seem to be triggers (either causing constipation or diarrhea - or sometimes both at almost the same time - which would seem impossible, except to someone with IBS). However, I've never noticed the consistency of food making a difference, except that some foods do seem to have less of an impact cooked as the do raw (possibly because of enzymes in the food that are killed during cooking). For example raw spinache gives me nearly as much trouble as lettuce, but cooked is a little better (though still not a great idea to eat a super huge serving of it).

Spicy food is a trigger for me, but I love it so much, I sometimes eat and suffer.

Too much fat OR too much produce tend to trigger flares also. I used to joke that I HAVE to follow a balanced diet or my body rebels. Although at the time, I wasn't taking into account carbs.

Lettuce is a particular trigger for me. A salad here and there isn't a problem, but when I start eating large salads or small salads several days in a row, I'm in for severe "wish I were dead" abdominal cramps.

I've been able to control my symptoms fairly well through diet, but there are IBS medications that many people find helpful. Working with your doctor is very important (and a dietitian would be even better). I always mention which food(s) I'm planning on eliminating to my doctor and to my sister (who is a dietitian). Doctors don't usually know alot about nutrition, so my sister is actually the better resource, she will tell me other foods to eat to get the nutrients in the food I'm going to be avoiding.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-10-2008 at 03:22 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #11  
MasterHarper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Seriously, I'm not meaning to jump on you...but...finding an eating plan you can do forever is the key to successful & permanant weight loss
LOL - I know that!

This is not an eating plan - it's an experiment.

Do you never experiment with stuff? Just to see what effect it has on you?

It's also not for weight loss, although if I did shift the Paris weight it would be a nice side effect. Note the comment about eating the same number of calories.

Taking on board the comments about fibre, I went out and bought a big bag of wheatbran which is about 50% pure fibre. A tsp of that stirred into everything should get things moving. One of my smoothies with a tsp of fibre provides 22% of my recommended daily intake apparently.

I'm up to 61% of my RDA of fibre today and that's only with one extra spoonful.

Anyway, for a week I don't see what harm it can do really - food is food after all. Provided I have a good balance of fat/carb/protein (22/56/22 so far) I reckon it won't hurt me. It might make no difference whatsoever of course.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Just make sure that if you are taking any sort of a fiber supplement, or getting more fiber from grain sources-that you couple it with drinking extra water. Fiber from grain sources or fiber pills can bulk up the stool, but you need the extra water to make it easier to pass. Fruit, on the other hand, have softening agents in them already along with the fiber.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #13  
MasterHarper

I didn't know that - thanks for the tip.

I just had mushed up Weetabix with hot milk for my supper and added two tsps of bran - made my fibre total up to 93% RDA! I don't think I've ever eaten so much fibre in my life!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Be careful with adding fiber too quickly. For anyone, but people with IBS especially, a huge sudden increase in fiber can have VERY uncomfortable side effects. Increasing gradually, is generally more comfortable.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #15  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

Bloating and constipation are signs of lactose intolerance, among other things. There's a lot of dairy, sugar, and processed food in your proposed food list, so I don't think the all liquid route is going to do a thing for you. Try limiting or avoiding dairy, sugar, and carbonated beverages since they are all capable of causing GI troubles.

I realize everyone means well by suggesting a doctor, but in all honesty, a diagnosis of IBS is a catchall term they use when there is no other textbook disease present. Getting to that diagnosis can be expensive and involve many uncomfortable tests. (Been there, done that, and didn't even get a teeshirt.)

I'm not saying to avoid the doc, just be prepared for a long ordeal. Try the obvious dietary changes first, then see the doc if symptoms persist since it can be something far more serious.
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote