Old 09-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Kathy and Karen.

Spryng: Staying on plan while eating out can be a real challenge. Yesterday was a good day for you.

I have been keeping track of calories on the 50+ September Accountability thread this month. For the 6 days I have posted, I only stayed on my eating plan 2 days. The other days' totals were 100-200 calories over--not a lot and hopefully below maintenance, but enough to slow any weight loss. I have decided to set a goal to lose 1 pound. No alcohol, no sugar. I would really like to get down to 132.

Last edited by CatR; 09-09-2008 at 08:10 PM.
CatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #32  

Tomorrow I plan on setting up my goals. I spent sometime reading the last 2 weeks that I missed and found myself hoping Cat was still here and there she was.
My aunt from Scotland is here and it has been hectic. I try to be good and stay on track but when we travel I get caught right up with her trying food. Pumpkin Pie Fudge and apple cider donuts are out and they are my downfall! My treadmill has been my best friend. I have made my family agree to Wii night once a week.
Kathy
spcdcider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #33  

Kathy: DH got a treadmill last week to replace our Nordic Track Ski Machine, which I didn't like using. I like the treadmill a lot. I use it to warm up before my weights and today I logged another 15 minutes before dinner when I needed a few more steps.

Company and social situations make it hard to stay on track food-wise. I'll have a challenge tomorrow morning when I meet with a carving group. There will be coffee and homemade cookies. I just love the bitterness of coffee with good cookies. I think I'll bring tea so I am less tempted. There won't be any social pressure--its mostly guys and they don't care what you eat or don't eat.

Tomorrow, I'll be getting outside for my walk. I logged 12,983 steps today and kept to my eating plan. A good start on my way to 132.

Last edited by CatR; 09-10-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Morning all!

ok so my official wi isn't until friday but I just had to peek at the scale this morning and guess what? I'm down 1.8 lbs!!!! I'm so excited.. finally headed the right direction I have been having a hard time hitting my steps this week.. 8400 is proving to be tough for me. I mean I get close, I got on my treadmill for 40 min monday and was shy like 200 steps and yesterday I was shy 300 steps and I was on the treadmill for 45 min! having a desk job is proving to make stepping really hard. I hate knowing I HAVE to be on the treadmill for 45 min to an hr a day just to hit my steps for the rest of my life? hmmm.. what will it be like when I'm at my 12 week goal of 11400 steps? I'll be on there from sun up to sun down! not good.. but I'm still giving it my best and we'll see how we do, I may just have to do 8400 for a couple weeks instead of one if I can't consistantly hit it this week. but I did get up early today and get some treadmill time in before work so hopefully that will get me on the right track today.. but calories have been great this week, haven't went over once. Last night I felt lazy so we just had pbandJ sandwiches for dinner with chips

well gotta get the kids moving.. yak with you all later!
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #35  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

Good morning everyone! I got on the scale today and my official weight is 192! I have no idea how I managed to gain 3 pounds! Last time I looked I was 189… oh well, I’ll keep moving. Perhaps it will just “fall” off. It seems to have just “fell” on! I did, however, make my steps for the week, even with all the company! WHOO-HOO!

Blech… I overslept today. Thank goodness my DH was on his game… my son would’ve been late to school! I work 11a-9p, but I get up at 6:00a to get on the treadmill and then take DS to school. Then I come home and do housework until 10a and then shower and go to work. Apparently sleeping was more of a priority today! I can’t lie, it felt so good to be snuggled in bed and lazy. I haven’t done that in a long time!

I would have sworn that I posted yesterday… but I don’t see it. Oh well!

Cat
– Walking uphill is a pain! You should be so proud! I put my treadmill on an incline that I think is tough (3.0… whatever that means) and my legs are burning after just a little bit. It sounds like you have the calorie thing under control. I have finally decided to start watching my intake a little bit more. Gaining 3 pounds didn’t help! I am terrible about tracking it, so I’m gonna have to figure out something easy. What’s a carving group?

Kathy - Are you finding your groove? My family Wii’s once a week too. We have a lot of fun doing it. Having family around tends to goof up a diet, I had people at my house all weekend and I sure did get goofed!

Spryng – It sounds like you are doing awesome! Congrats on the loss! I got to 14,000 steps and felt like it was almost impossible, so I know what you mean about the steps. I started increasing every two weeks. Next month I’ll be in maintenance, then drop my steps back down to start the 12 week thing all over. I feel like I’m on the treadmill all the time too!

Have a terrific day. I gotta get moving since I've spent too much time sleeping today!

Last edited by sassybiscuit; 09-10-2008 at 09:16 AM.
sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #36  

Sassy, your sleeping in sounds soooo good right now! LOL! I've been dragging all day for some reason.. but I am over my step goal for today yay! I've made up for mon and tues as well now so I'm back on track, thank god for walmart, lol.. had to pick up some groceries and animal food so that put me over my goal and I only had to do 30 min on the treadmill today... Yeah your gain sounds like mine last week, it just fell on me as well and it's coming back off so yours will be gone in no time as well.

Well, gonna relax now and watch some tv, have a great evening all!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

sprying-- Congrats on the loss!!! That is great! I'm still hanging in there. We'll see how nice the scales are on Friday! It seems to take so long to get back on track when you have been off for a few days! But I'm workig on it AGAIN!!!
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #38  

Spyrng: What treadmill speed are you using? The October issue of Prevention has some interval-type walks that can be done on a treadmill. There are 3: 20min, 40 min, and 60 min. I needed more steps this afternoon, so tried the 20 min. one. The warm-up is 3 mph for a reference speed, though the workouts can be adjusted to your fitness level. The suggested speeds seem to be for experienced treadmill users. I am still getting used to using a treadmill so didn't try the 2 higher speeds. If you are interested, I could put them in my post tomorrow.

If the Step Diet is your first walking program, you are probably losing inches. The Prevention article is actually about losing belly fat and is worth looking at. You might be able to find the magazine at the public library. I didn't find the article at Prevention.com, though it may show up there eventually.

Good news about your weight dropping back down.

Sassy: Before I planned meals on my computer, I put meals on 4X6 cards. I used a different card for each meal. I decided how many calories I wanted to eat at each meal or snack, then planned the meals accordingly. I could plan for the next day by pulling the appropriate cards.

Isn't it aggravating how a body can tease you with a low weight, then take off the other direction? You'll probably be seeing that 189 again before too long. It is a woodcarving group. Some of us are working on a Halloween cat and next month we will be starting some Nativity figures.

Karen: I have my problems getting back on track after a change in routine.

Today, I am still on track. I passed up white chocolate chip-pecan cookies. My steps will go over 13,000 again. I am going to keep pushing for that (except for my rest day) while I get down to 132 pounds.

Last edited by CatR; 09-10-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #39  

I thought that I had posted yesterday but guess I didn't!! Must be old age!!! Anyway, still not with it again but on 9/9 I did 6061 steps total 2.20 miles. Today 9/10 I did only 5821 steps and 2.11 miles. I think a combination of getting off track, getting frustrated with trying to sell the house, and wanting to spend time with my Dad and family in MO. is just really slowing me down. Got to get over it and try to concentrate more on positive things that I can change!

Catr-- I would be interested in those interval type walks if you would like to post them. I'm sure there are others who could benefit from them too. Thanks.

Well, I'm hoping for better thoughts tomorrow so I can get motivated again Take care.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #40  

Morning all!

Cat, I've been doing 3.0 mph on my treadmill and occasionally 3.5 if I need to get more steps in faster. I get 600 steps in 5 min at 3.0 and 700 at 3.5 so I base my needs on that and then adjust my treadmill. And yes please post those interval trainings, they sound interesting Yeah I think I'm losing inches too and that is fine, I'd even be willing to change my goal to 130 if it meant losing more inches instead of lbs I just want to be in a loose size 8 and fit into some 6's would be heaven If I could wear a small in tops I'd be even happier! I'm always buying large to xlg so nothing clings to my stomach. I hate my stomach. But it is looking slimmer these days The 4x6 card idea sounds right up my alley! I have two packs of them and now I'm thinking I may start something like that would make lunches and such sooo much easier but they did have lean cuisines on sale yesterday and I stocked up on some so I'm good for lunches for awhile. You should share a few of your cards so I can get an idea of what you put on there and what you enjoy eating

Karen, is that where you are moving? mo? we will be neighbors! I'm only 3 miles from the state line I know the stress you are under with selling your house. I can tell you a secret. When we sold our last house we had to get proactive. The real estate agencies in this town just don't go the extra mile for their clients. So my husband and I took some really great pics of the house inside and out and made glossy fliers, spent like 10 bucks maybe on a ton of fliers. We hung them everywhere! Then we went door to door a couple of times just passing out the fliers and getting to know our neighbors.. our agent said it would take at least 6 months to sell the house and you know what? it was sold within one month! A lady up the street took a flier and her cousin in kansas city was looking to move down here and she gave her the flier etc etc.. anyway, it went fast I firmly believe when you sell your house you have to get proactive because if you just leave it up to your agent it could take ages becuase all they do is put it in their magazine and on the net.. that is it. It ends there it seems. But I hope yours sells soon! have you had many people come look at it?

Well my weigh in is tomorrow so today I'm eating a bit lighter today to gear up for it gotta get the kids around, yak with you all later!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #41  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!
You all have so many good ideas! I love the index card thing, which sounds just easy enough to work for me! The treadmill thing in Prevention sounds good too; I can’t wait to see it!

I got on the scale today and it said 189. Dumb scale… yesterday was my weigh-in day, not today! I’ve been struggling with tummy issues for a while now, that must’ve been it. Easiest 4 pound weight loss ever!

I was in MO/KS a couple weeks ago for the HAMB Drag Nationals. We went to Joplin, MO to the Mokan Dragway. I went down the drag strip once, which means I actually went into KS because the dragstrip starts in MO and ends in KS, kinda cool. That’s the only time I’ve ever been to Kansas. LOL! That weekend threw me off, driving 1200 miles round trip over a weekend took it’s toll on my step totals. I thought it was hard to get back into the swing of things too!

I have never sold a house before, it sounds rough! We’ve been talking about moving, though I think we’ve decided to move when our son starts Middle School, so about 5 years. I’m OK where we live right now, its just an hour away from my home town and I want to live there. We live close to DHs family. It’s not all its cracked up to be. I love em, they’re just not fun like my family.

I’m having a garage sale this weekend, so I have to get to working on it. My friend is coming over to help, thank goodness. I’ve been asking DH for a new couch for 6 years and he always says “no”. At first I understood it because I was in school and we shouldn’t spend the money. Now I have my master’s degree and working fulltime, I see no reason to keep this crappy couch. So… I think I’ll “pull a Lucy” and drag it out into the yard tomorrow. I hope it sells. I’ve decided that sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I know it sounds awful, DH will be surprised, but I can’t see him getting mad at me. So, I’m taking matters into my own hands.

Have a terrific day!
sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #42  

Interval Workouts for walking outdoors or treadmill

Warm-up/cool-down: 3 mph (You can chat with ease)
Brisk pace: 3.5 to 3.8 mph (Your breathing is pleasantly harder. Can still talk, but with pauses)
Push Pace: 4 mph (Some huffing and puffing. One- to two-word replies)
Power Pace: 4.2 to 4.5 mph (No talking possible)

Plan 1: 20 minutes

Start: Warm-up
3:00 Brisk pace
6:00 Push pace
9:00 Brisk pace
12:00 Power pace
13:00 Push
15:00 Brisk
18:00 Cool-down
20:00 Finish

Plan 2: 40 minutes

3:00 Brisk pace
6:00 Push pace
13:00 Power pace
15:00 Brisk pace
18:00 Push Pace
25:00 Power
27:00 Brisk
37:00 Cool-down
40:00 Finish

Plan 3: 60 min
Start with 3% incline for hills, working up to 5%

3:00 Brisk
5:00 Push
20:00 Brisk
22:00 Uphill Brisk
28:00 Brisk
32:00 Uphill Brisk
38:00 Brisk
42:00 Push
57:00 Cool-down
60:00 Finish

Last edited by CatR; 09-11-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #43  

Hello sprying and sassybiscuit--- Yes, we are wanting to move to MO. In fact we are wanting to move to the Joplin area!! That is where my family is and I'm the only one left out here now. Sassybiscuit-- I know exactly where the MoKan dragway is. I always feel so good when I see that because I know it is just a little further to my Dad's house!! Always a relief!
sprying, I have printed out flyers and post them everywhere, I have the ad on craigslist both in Joplin and Colorado Springs and even put it on the classifieds on myspace! I think it is just a slow time to be trying to sell right now. But I'm not giving up!!
Cat, Thanks for posting those interval programs--- I'm going to print them out and post them by my treadmill.

Well, better get busy adn get some stuff finished around here this evening. They are having the "Cruise Above the Clouds" this weekend so with signs out on the highway maybe we will get more people stopping in to see the house. I'll definitely be ready for them. They are "old cars" cruising from Woodland Park to Cripple Creek. Keep your fingers crossed that this will be our weekend!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #44  

I am still getting used to the treadmill. Had a couple of short sessions today. I practiced walking without holding on and it didn't buck me off! I worked up to 3 mph the first session, then went right to 3 mph the second session Up until today I was hanging on for dear life---not too relaxing and I couldn't maintain good posture that way. I will get used to walking at each of the higher speeds before trying another 20 minute interval so I can do it without hanging on.

Sassy: I knew your scale was messing with you. My weight is never at its lowest on my "official" weigh-in day. Good luck with finding your couch a good home. If it doesn't sell, you could always leave it out with a "free" sign on it. My church did that with some rummage sale stuff and it disappeared!

Spryng: I'll get back to you about the meal cards. It takes a little time to come up with the menus, but it makes it easier to come up with something when you are tired.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #45  

Morning all!

Ok official wi day today! down another .2 lbs for a total of 2 full lbs this week! yay!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooooo happy with it a great week of stepping and eating within my calorie range has paid off

Cat, yeah the treadmill can take some getting used to. I tried doing it at 3.5 all day yesterday and once at 4.0 but that really is jogging for me and I don't want to jog, lol..

Karen, yeah we go to joplin almost every weekend, it's where we eat and shop mostly, that and kansas city

Sassy so glad it wasn't real weight loss and came off just as quickly as it appeared Have fun with the garage sale! we need to have one too but it's so much work. Maybe this spring, lol. And you go get that couch! LOL! I have little ones at home and you can still have nice things with them just takes more work

well I'm taking the van in to be detailed this morning before work so I gotta get moving.. yak with you all later!