3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   personal experience with Bodybugg/Sensewear (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/146354-personal-experience-bodybugg-sensewear.html)

kuhljeanie 09-10-2008 10:16 AM

whoa! quite a difference.

an interesting business model...wonder if the pricing difference has anything to do with physician practices and how they manage their budgets.

browncat 09-10-2008 03:32 PM

Hi everyone! I've had my SenseWear for a little over a week now, but I just found you guys, and I am so excited!

Talk about really putting something into perceptive, I finally got the concept of calories in - calories out. It can't get any more black and white than when you are using your armband and display. I burn 2600 calories a day with a 1000 calorie deficit, I can see right away if I am not going to make my targets and adjust accordingly. My stats show 3500 calorie deficit for last week, and the scales showed I lost two pounds, it was dead on! The armband is not a quick fix for me, it's still hard to make the choice to go to the gym, take a walk or not eat all 1600 calories to make my targets.

Glad to be here, and can't wait to hear more about everyone's Bodybugg/SenseWear experiences.

TheBeesKnees 09-10-2008 05:07 PM

Fantastic and welcome!!!

ndnguy85 09-12-2008 05:20 PM

one thing i would advice you guys with large deficits is to make it a little bit narrower. everyone is bound to hit a plateau at some point and if you go all out right now..you wont have any room for change.

make small changes now and increase if you see the weight loss slowing.

i really wouldnt advice anyone to lose over a lb. it's easier to do, you dont to starve urself, your body adjusts better in terms of loose skin and stuff.

3500 = ~1 lb of fat loss on the scale.

rachelf 09-12-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

one thing i would advice you guys with large deficits is to make it a little bit narrower. everyone is bound to hit a plateau at some point and if you go all out right now..you wont have any room for change.

make small changes now and increase if you see the weight loss slowing.

i really wouldnt advice anyone to lose over a lb. it's easier to do, you dont to starve urself, your body adjusts better in terms of loose skin and stuff.
Good tip ndnguy85.
I recently (a week ago) tried to do a 750 deficit and I was hungry, going over my calories and stuck in the cycle of trying to make up for it by working out a little more.
I'm back to 500 and I have been hitting both my calorie in and calorie out deficits :)

EDIT: I got the sensewear mini armband today. So far, I don't like the fact that the mini version does not have a replaceable battery. It is rechargeable through USB, but I liked using rechargeable AAA batteries much better. I also don't know what the process would be if the device's battery goes completely flat.
It is smaller though, which is nice. You cant see it at all, unless you're in some skin tight clothes.

The sensewear's online software also doesn't have pre-made daily menu's like the bodybugg's does, but has the module to track your sleep. Everything else is pretty much the same.

ndnguy85 09-13-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachelf (Post 2359130)
Good tip ndnguy85.
I recently (a week ago) tried to do a 750 deficit and I was hungry, going over my calories and stuck in the cycle of trying to make up for it by working out a little more.
I'm back to 500 and I have been hitting both my calorie in and calorie out deficits :)

EDIT: I got the sensewear mini armband today. So far, I don't like the fact that the mini version does not have a replaceable battery. It is rechargeable through USB, but I liked using rechargeable AAA batteries much better. I also don't know what the process would be if the device's battery goes completely flat.
It is smaller though, which is nice. You cant see it at all, unless you're in some skin tight clothes.

The sensewear's online software also doesn't have pre-made daily menu's like the bodybugg's does, but has the module to track your sleep. Everything else is pretty much the same.

awesome stuff.

the only reason i want the sensewear is for the smaller size (who said bigger is always better??) and the sleep module.

i never use the premade meals so it would be good to get it out of the way.

does anyone know when the monthly price changes will happen for sensewear?

browncat 09-13-2008 04:32 PM

Justin, you were right. This last week has been a lot harder than the first week. I am taking your advise and have narrowed my deficits this next week. I certainly do not want any more loose skin and stuff! I think I will be able to hit these new targets without going crazy.

When I ordered my armband, I was told that they were aiming towards the first of the year to reduce the monthly subscription price. You do get a six months subscription free.

BTW, I found the sleep module not only insightful, but pretty accurate. I know I don't always sleep the night through, but I had no idea that I actually stayed awake as much as did. Probably explains the good days and the bad days.

pintobean 09-16-2008 11:00 AM

Just curious if anyone is having an irritated skin reaction to the metal on the sensewear? I don't know if I'm reacting to the metal or just a combination of sweat and skin contact...my skin is irritated where the metal makes contact. It's itchy and red there...and gets worse when I scratch. I have to keep switching places on the arm to put it on cuz it gets worse if I leave it on that same irritated spot.

I am generally allergic to most metals except these metals...18k or above gold, stainless steel, silver. And I think the sensewear metal is stainless steel unless I'm mistaken? So I should be ok technically. And I don't have it on too tight either. And I clean it periodically too.

Just wondering? :(

browncat 09-16-2008 06:21 PM

I have had some skin irritation too, I move the sensor a little bit this way or a little bit that way so it isn't always in the same place. From what I understand, the metal is stainless steel and that all of the components were allergy tested. I think the irritation is because the sensor rests so securely on your arm that is no air circulation between it and your skin. I do know you are not supposed to use any lotion or sunscreen under the sensor area.

How is everyone doing with their Bugg or Senswear?

pintobean 09-16-2008 10:20 PM

Thanks Browncat...glad to know it's not just me. Hmm...about the lotion or sunscreen I tried not to use any directly under or above the sensewear but last week in FL on vacay I did put sunscreen around the sensewear but not under the metal part or above the armband and it seemed some seeped thru to the metal area could be cuz of sweat I think. I hope I didn't damage it. So far it seems it's working fine I guess. :(

TheBeesKnees 09-17-2008 04:19 PM

If you go to the 24 hour fitness website, the Biggest Loser winner Ali Vincent is wearing what looks like the bodybugg v3.

Gracious....how much longer again till the release? Does anyone else want to try and email customer service? I've pestered them so much already from anticipation.

I think at this point...the difference is price is what's stalling me from making any purchase. GAR!!!

browncat 09-17-2008 04:53 PM

That does look like what Apex will be selling as the new BodyBugg v3. I heard from BodyMedia which makes the BodyBugg for Apex to distribute, say that the new BodyBugg v3 would be black and it would not have the sleep module or some of the food tracking options that the SenseWear has. The size and shape are identical to my SenseWear, except my SenseWear is a light gray color.

I also heard from another source that the new BodyBugg v3 would probably be available maybe late this year. I would think that with the new Biggest Loser show debuting, that they would have had them available now. It would make more marketing sense.

ibeforej 09-18-2008 08:00 PM

I put a call in to Body Bugg today and the only thing the rep could confirm was that V3 was set to come out this Fall. Even the specs are a mystery right now (including possible compatibility with the Mac.)

I'm really torn right now- I love the look of the assumed BB3 (the one on Ali's arm on the 24 hour Fitness website) and it definitely looks smaller than the SenseWear- what do you guys think?

I'm really torn- without knowing the specs and a specific release date on the BB3, it's hard for me to decide whether to wait or go ahead and get the SenseWear (I can't bring myself to get the BB2- it's just too big IMHO.) I'm doing a weight loss challenge with family and the prize is $8K. If I lose (percentage-wise) more than my 3 family members, I get the whole pot. I've been in 2nd place for the past 4 weeks and I'm thinking wearing a sensor would give me a distinct advantage.

BTW, I also joined NS a few weeks ago- while I'm really pleased with that program, I feel like I really need to have better knowledge and control over my activity levels. I'm a SAHM with a 19 month old, but I'm definitely moving less than I did when I worked FT.

browncat 09-18-2008 08:38 PM

ibeforej - the BB3 on Ali's arm in the 24 hour fitness ad is exactly the same as my SenseWear one, the only difference is the color and that the BB3 will do less than the SenseWear model. It is not any smaller.

Naia 09-18-2008 08:49 PM

I haven't had any reaction to the metal, but I have had a slight reaction to the junction where the strap meets the plastic casing. Just minor, and I move it around now and then so one place on my arm doesn't get all irritated :)

I am loving the SW. It's small enough that no one notices it when I have clothes on over it, and I really love the feedback! Like just how many steps I've taken, and seeing when I burn calories. It's funny, I can actually see when I walk up the stairs to work.

It's definitely motivating me to get moving -- I want to reach my daily goals!