3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   personal experience with Bodybugg/Sensewear (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/146354-personal-experience-bodybugg-sensewear.html)

TheBeesKnees 08-22-2008 03:03 PM

I am over the moon with finding this thread!!!

Really happy to find out that sensewear/bodybugg is the same company. I emailed sensewear about their sales package and emailed Bodybugg about a possible release date. Got a response already that they don't have an exact date as of yet.

While I don't want to wait, I'm going to wait for it to come out so I can do a comparison for myself. Especially pricewise.

This is all so exciting...I'm hoping to use it with my own modified version of the body for life meal program and exercise routines.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

TheBeesKnees 08-22-2008 03:50 PM

I got a response from customer service:

"As far as looks go, the Bodybugg and Sensewear look the same except the version 3 Bodybugg will be black. I don’t know what the exact difference is between the Bodybugg and Sensewear and the person I would ask has already gone home for today. I will forward your email to him to see if he can address this on Monday. Let me know if you need anything else. Thank you"

This is so exciting. How's everyone's progress so far?

evelove 08-22-2008 09:18 PM

Sensewear/Bodybugg and HRM, correlations?

:?:I just got the polar F4 and was so amazed at how low my calorie burn is for my workouts. I am in good shape and so speedwalking only gets my heart rate up to about 45% max and jogging only brings it up to 55%of max, so an hour at a moderate intensity, according to my HRM (~65% max) and I only burn 300 cals.

I am curious as to whether this is accurate or not bc I know the bodybugg and sensewear don't calculate based on heart rate but other factors that seem to make more sense, especially if you are in good shape. Has anyone compared the calories per hour using their hrm vs bodybugg or sensewear? I would love to know if the HRM is accurate or if I should go for the bodybugg. I found the HRM to actually discourage me from exercise bc according to it my calorie burn is so low (for example, 55 cal per mile running and 27 cals per mile walking, I'm 124pounds and 66'')

Thanks for any info! I really appreciate any tips, experience, insight:)

ndnguy85 08-23-2008 09:33 PM

at 60% of my hr, i burn like 150-180 calories when i walk for 45mins/~3 miles. thats like 50 calories a mile.

i think ur hrm is on target. how many calories did you expect to burn at a low intensity like that?

50-70% of your HR is considered moderate intensity.

hottierockstar 08-24-2008 01:59 PM

Thank you all!!!!

for having this thread. I woke up the other day with the random thought "i need a bodybugg" (i figure stuff that just randomly pops into my consciousness needs to be paid attention to) So with all the research i have been doing i am thoroughly obsessed and thoroughly appreciate all of your posts. I will definitely be getting the Sensewear unit over the BB for a number of reasons.
1. i definitely want the sleep option which even version 3 of BB will not have
2. footprint of the SW
3. cost...I just calculated it out and BB with less features is actually about the same if not more expensive depending on tax (even with "limited time offers" )than the SW pro unit.

from bodybugg site:
bodybugg armband, digital display, 3-month subscription = $349.90 For a limited time only! (which is version 2, doesn’t do sleep, would be taxed, and would be $99.95 for the additional 3 month subscription) So really over $449 without tax for the version2 bodybugg

Not much price diff purchasing from 24hour

I am feeling really obsessed with this right now but in a good excited way.
So happy for all the success everyone is having and thanks again for posting on this.
I will be talking to someone about getting the SW in the next few days...and then i can obsess on it being shipped LOL

mikki :)

evelove 08-24-2008 08:24 PM

heart rate and cals burned

Wow, I guess I thought that I would burn at least 250-300 an hour walking and 500-600 an hour jogging but the numbers are more like 140 for walking and 300 for jogging:(

The treadmill does ask for me to input my weight but it still way overestimates my calorie burn. Now, I can see why when I focus on diet and just increase my daily activity i have the best results. I would really have to train an excessive amount to have a significant impact on my weight but I love the way it makes me feel, so my mindset is actually healthier now.

The other bonus is that I found that I burn more calories doing circuit training than I do speedwalking and I burn almost as many as I do jogging, it has really inspired me to do the circuits bc it is getting the best of both worlds.

I realize now how much bad info is out there about exercise and weight loss. I can see now why people give up so quickly, they don't work out hard enough, long enough or consistantly enough and if they are on a low calorie diet, it makes intense exercise nearly impossible and counterproductive.

Thanks again for the insight!

pintobean 08-25-2008 09:20 AM

Still going good with SenseWear and I am glad I made the purchase. It is definitely motivating me to eat and workout better.

I have a Q though...I'll be going on a vacation soon for about 8 days. This will be my first vacation using SenseWear. I would like to know how you guys managed inputing restaurant food in the software? Assuming that the software does not contain all restaurant food nutrition information and at the same time unfortunately not all restaurants have nutrition information available online. What did you guys do in these circumstances? Especially while on vacation. I want to be as prepared as possible. Thank you :)

momof2gr8kids 08-25-2008 09:33 AM

I think you'll find the database is pretty extensive.
But if you really want extra insurance, you could have a calorie guide, either online or book, like calorie king's guide....to look up common restaurant meals or prepared foods that might not be pre-entered in the sensewear database. Then you can use the nutrition info in the guide to enter a custom food in the sensewear database by clicking on "enter nutrition information" as you are logging your meals.

That has worked pretty well for me so far. In most cases, I've been able to just break down the ingredients in what I am eating out, for instance....if I had a club sandwich, I would enter ham, turkey, bread, (bacon..if I ate it), and whatever condiments I ate. I haven't so far run into too many instances where the restaurant items aren't in the database. I actually feel better entering restaurant foods this way, because I can better control the exact portion of each item that the sensewear software is calculating. For instance.....if the software had a 'club sandwich' item, and it included mayo, it might include a tablespoon or a teaspoon. If I enter the individual items, I can enter exactly the amount of mayo I actually ate, which can make a huge difference, especially when you are talking about high calorie foods.

Another thing that I generally try to do at restaurants is to not get too 'fancy' with my ordering....skip the sauces, etc.....Number one, they are too hard to figure out nutrition-wise, and number two, they are probably not conducive to weight loss/maintenance anyway. Stick with grilled, roasted, etc. Order extra veggies, etc....don't be afraid to ask how an item is prepared or to ask for it to be prepared in a more healthful way....you are paying...and most of the time, it is not a problem at all. The simpler, the better, really...you'll have an easier time finding your items in the database, and you'll know that you ate 'cleaner' in general. And if you do splurge a little bit...(it is vacation after all!)....make sure you add some extra movement to your vacation itinerary to burn it off!

I'm also a big one for taking bites, licks and tastes of things throughout the day...and I have been trying to be diligent about recording those bites and licks in the sensewear software because I CAN. I love how I can record a few grams of something....it makes me get honest with myself....and it has helped me see how much those BLTs (bites, licks and tastes) really add up! I can snack my way to +10 lbs like it was my job!

kuhljeanie 08-25-2008 10:27 AM

hi everyone! glad to see some new faces. :) evelove, i was shocked to find out that jogging, for me, burned a ton MORE calories than the HR was calculating. one thing that might come out of using a sensewear/bb monitor as opposed to HR is that you tend to find ways to work incidental exercise into your day, and building more muscle mass to increase your overall metabolic rate becomes more important too. just a thought. :)

ndnguy85 08-25-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hottierockstar (Post 2330717)
1. i definitely want the sleep option which even version 3 of BB will not have
2. footprint of the SW
3. cost...I just calculated it out and BB with less features is actually about the same if not more expensive depending on tax (even with "limited time offers" )than the SW pro unit.

from bodybugg site:
bodybugg armband, digital display, 3-month subscription = $349.90 For a limited time only! (which is version 2, doesn’t do sleep, would be taxed, and would be $99.95 for the additional 3 month subscription) So really over $449 without tax for the version2 bodybugg

the additional 99.95 = extra YEAR of subscription. you are already getting the initial 3 month with your 349.

to the sensewear ladies, how much is it monthly again?

TheBeesKnees 08-25-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndnguy85 (Post 2332044)

to the sensewear ladies, how much is it monthly again?

Good morning...this is the email I rec'd from a Sensewear rep:

Thank you for contacting BodyMedia. Our current special includes our new SenseWear Mini armband and display is $399. If you haven't visited our website, please click this link: (sensewear website) for additional information and a 'See how it works' video. The web application subscription, which is required for armband use, is $20/month. An order form has been attached for your convenience - you may complete it and email or fax back in to order. We try to ship within three business days. Thank you again for contacting BodyMedia.

In all honesty, I won't mind the 20.00 a month if I see real results. Trying to shift from retail therapy to getting physical activity instead will be cheaper in the long run. This girl can SHOP! I'm a scary shopper, so I'd rather use my time and money aiming for a recovered body (One that I once knew) instead of retail therapy that ends with me being frustrated and further depressed while trying on clothes in the fitting room of a store. I guess in the end, I would benefit from that monthly expense $20.00 vs. sporadic retail therapy need (abusing my wallet).

ndnguy85 08-26-2008 10:43 AM

oh man it's 20 a month?

i was planning to switch over to the sensewear side after my initial 3 months were up (end of october). i want the sleep function and the sensewear size. i hope the new bodybugg will at least be smaller..even though it probably won't introduce any new features. but i dont know if that's a good idea since in the long run sensewear is going to cost a lot more.

it's 400 for sensewear and 6 months subscription. additional year would cost 240 @20 per month?!

bodybugg is 350 with 3 months. additional year is only 100.

TheBeesKnees 08-26-2008 01:14 PM

Well, the 400 clams is for both the Sensewear miniarmband and display. Otherwise, the armband itself is 349.00.

Hope that helps. In the meantime, I'm going to start scrappin' up my pennies together to save for this sucker.

Side question for those that have the sensewear miniarmband - Did anyone get it with the display? If so, does it also double as a hrm to help you maintain a steady hr during cardio?

I still have my polar f11 and chest strap, and before I go all crazy and sell it on ebay...thought I'd inquire here first :)

TheBeesKnees 08-26-2008 01:28 PM

Just received another reply from the great rep at sensewear:

We are advising new customers to only purchase a month subscription at this time as we know there will be a pricing change coming in the near future resulting in a lower subscription cost to you. Please feel free to email anytime with questions - that's what we are here for! Have a great day!

I really want one now. :cross fingers: if I print a copy and place it under DH's pillow, maybe he'll get the hint.

kuhljeanie 08-26-2008 01:48 PM

i got the mini sensewear with the display. sorry, no HRM display - but you can use the trip function to get a kinda-sorta take on the calories per minute. it's not accurate but i use it instead of the HRM.