Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

hey all!
ok so my book came yesterday, hence why I was mia, I was reading all evening, lol.. but I think my pedometer might have screwed up yesterday, since sunday the most steps I've taken (i'm just averaging right now) was 3400 a day but yesterday when I went to bed I took it off and looked and it and it said 9205!!! no way! I didnt do anything special yesterday, my normal daily routine, I did go to walmart for about 30 min but I did that on sunday for an hr and didn't get near that many steps so what gives? today I hooked it on my bra and seem to be getting an even better readout so maybe I had it on wrong yesterday or maybe I was fidgeting too much? I honestly don't think that number is right at all.
anyway, today is going well so far though.
nice to meet you amy! 1400 steps is awesome especially for this early in the day.
Cat nice to meet you too! sorry your trip was cut short!
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #32  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

amyx33 - The steps are rockin'! I got them last week and I just started a new week today. Now I need 11,500 per day for the week. 14,000 steps is a lot. I got that occasionally, though it's usually when I do mowing and such. Don't forget to take it easy!

spryng - Maybe the bra is the best place. I'd wait it out. I've never had mine do that, but at the worst, you can just do 8 days and leave that messy day out to make sure.

Glad to see you all doing pretty well!
sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

Spryng: Maybe you just forgot to re-set your pedometer to "0" yesterday. I did that one day on my trip. I tried attaching the pedometer to my bra because it sometimes digs into my waist, but I didn't like the bulge. Glad to hear your book showed up.

The sky was gloriously clear Monday afternoon and yesterday morning because of the storm activity to the east, but the smoke from the California fires has drifted back again . I was able to get my walk in this morning because the wind shifted a bit . Nevada has been really lucky this year. Usually there are several wildland fires going by now.

I figured my July goal based on 11,000 steps a day just because I'd been doing above 10,000 a day during the 2-week period in June. So I'll be stepping up things in July .

Right now, I am at my maximum "healthy" weight with a BMI just below 25. I have an apple-shaped body and am storing my fat around my waist and abdomen (bad, bad, bad), so losing 10 pounds of fat would be beneficial in reducing risk factors for heart disease, and Type II diabetes and other nasties. I have a good basic eating plan that comes to about 1600 calories a day (no sugar or alcohol). I feel better if I don't eliminate basic foods to allow for sugar or alcohol and don't want to drop my food intake below that level. So I figure I am going to have to get my daily activity level up to 15,000 steps or so to drop the weight and to allow for an occasional indulgence.
CatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #34  

no I didn't forget to reset it, must have just been a glitch, it's doing much better so far today
cat I'm right there with you, my bmi is 24 as well but I gain mostly around the waist too so I an trying to get some of that to move! but lately it's not moving very fast, lol..
well I will be mia this weekend. DH and I are taking the kids to grandma's house and we are getting a fun weekend away from home in tulsa, I'm soooo excited! I need a break then monday I will come back to knowing what my average is and I can add 2000 steps a day.
how do you all get your exta steps per day? and does it really only take 5 min to get 500 steps?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 AM   #35  

When I walk, I get about 6,000 steps per hour, so 500 steps in 5 minutes is consistent with that. I live just below some National Forest land and have a nice place to walk with wildflowers, deer and other animals, so it is easy for me to get a few more steps in if I need to bump up my total at this time of year. Snow and mud make that difficult in the winter. I kind of run in place on a mini-trampoline if it is too smokey to walk outside.

As Sassybiscuit pointed out, yard work can run up your step total a surprising amount. I too had a 14,000+ day after a couple of hours of pulling weeds on top of my usual workout.

I read The Step Diet tonight and will start upping my steps next week by 500 points a week since I am doing OK with 11,000 steps now.

Last edited by CatR; 07-24-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #36  
Uggg... I goofed again.

Woo-hoo ladies! It seems like you both are doing pretty well. When I started the step diet, my average steps were about 7300. This week, I have to get 11,500 per day. It seems really doable. I get between 500 and 600 steps every 5 minutes (I had to edit this because I originally said per minute... talk about speed walking!). I park in the back of the lot and walk on my breaks at work. It seems to add quite a few. It seems silly, but I put all the cleaners in kitchen cabinet, so I have to walk to get them. I also have a neighbor that just had a baby and we go for walks every Tuesday evening. There are just so many ways to add steps! I even found myself slowing down at the grocery store so that I can walk farther! I don't know how I'll do when I get to a higher number, but I almost always get about 12,000 steps when I get on the treadmill for 40 minutes a day.

I am looking into classes that I can take twice weekly. I can't really do it now, but my DS starts school on August 11th and I can go after I drop him off at school. That's my plan, at least for now. I feel like the step thing is pretty under control and that I might be able to add something else a couple times a week. I mow our yard on Monday's (usually) and then my elderly neighbors yard on Tuesday's (usually)... it's a pretty good workout. I have to admit that my weeding and flower gardens have gone bad this year because I have been spending that time mowing my neighbor's yard. I plan on planting some bushes this fall, which will make it easier next year. I wish I could figure out what the bush is called, I know what they look like, but I don't know how to find 6 of them! I better get on that!

I am surprised at the Step Diet. It seems to work out pretty well. Best one I've ever done! My DS (he's 7) said he wanted a pedometer to do steps with me. Isn't that sweet? He's offered a couple times to wear my pedometer and put steps on it so I "don't have to work so hard"! LOL! I wish it worked like that!

Last edited by sassybiscuit; 07-25-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #37  

What a sweet thing for DS to say.

Classes might be something for me to consider this winter when the outdoors walking is difficult or impossible. The nearest big enclosed mall is 15 miles away. I do have aerobics DVDs and a Nordic Track (boring!), but getting in 15,000 steps could be a challenge. Will have to see what I can work out. In the meantime, I'll take care of the steps I need to do today.

Last edited by CatR; 07-25-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #38  

I figured out how to work in a glass of wine and a bottle of ale each week--reduce my daily calories by 20 and increase daily steps by 300 . Sunday has usually been my "rest" day, so maybe I'll plan on 10,300 steps for Sunday and only increase the steps for the remaining 6 days. Adapting the Step Program to my lifestyle is an interesting exercise in preparing for lifetime maintenance.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #39  
Uggg... I goofed again.

CatR - That's a really good idea. I should think about having a rest day. To be completely honest, I seem to take a rest day once a week unscheduled! There's always one day that I goof up. We went camping last night and I just got home. There wasn't too much walking involved, so I'll have to get to it today. I drank a bit (which isn't like me) and I feel pretty puny today. Walking may very well become a challenge today. I think I'll go mow the front yard, perhaps that will help.

I don't know how to "catch up" with steps when I need the higher numbers (like 15,000). It seems that at that point, I'll have to stay on it or I'll never make it.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:42 AM   #40  

Psychologically, it is certainly helpful to have a day when you can slack off a bit. And life sometimes happens. 15,000 steps is going to be coming up pretty fast with 500 additional steps a week. And we are going to have to stay on top of things to work them in. Hopefully, this will become more routine with time.

I am more satisfied with the amount of food on my eating plan now. My mental attitude has improved a lot since reading and reflecting on The Step Diet. I think I am starting to accept what I need to do in order to drop some weight and then maintain it.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #41  

Hello all! I'm back! Got in late last night
the weekend was a wonderful getaway but it's nice to be home

ok so today I'm finally adding in 2000 steps! My weeks average was 3400 so today my goal was 5400 which I'm only about 400 steps from right now so it is definitely going to happen. I went to walmart and parked in the very last spot on the row which was a nice hike into the store, my kids were like, what are you thinking! lol.. I said we are gonna get some exercise in, lol.. then when I got home I walked on my treadmill for about 15 min and that helped alot tomorrow I think I might do it in 5 min bursts while I'm working. I get 20 min in breaks so I'm thinking about breaking it up into 4 five minute treadmill breaks since my treadmill stays in my office with me But anyway, I'm super excited about it! but even after I add my 8000 steps (500 per week for 12 weeks) that only puts me at 11400 steps per day, you guys are definitely bigger walkers than I am..
Oh and I weighed myself this morning to get my starting weight, I need to change my tracker because I gained those 4 lbs back but not again, 2000 steps per day is suppose to keep you from gaining again so I hope that is right! I don't ever want to be in the 140's again!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #42  

morning all! just wanted to add that I got in 5700 steps yesterday! so 300 over my goal! yay!! I think this is going to be easier than I thought we'll see what the scale says, lol
Old 07-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #43  

Good work on surpassing your goal! The steps can add up surprisingly fast when you are figuring out ways to get them in.

When I've exercised consistently in the past, I did about 8,000 steps per day. So it wasn't that much of a stretch to go up to 11,000. It will get easier to log steps when you become accustomed to a higher activity level.

Are we going to start a new "Step Diet August" thread on Thursday? Or continue to post on this one?

Last edited by CatR; 07-30-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #44  
Uggg... I goofed again.

Hello ladies! Sorry I've been away, kinda having a tough time right now. My Mom was in a motorcycle accident 3 weeks ago and the guy she was with just died last week. My Mom is having all kinds of issues, so I've been trying to spend time with her, but she lives an hour away from me and it's tough. Biologically she's fine, just returned to work on Monday. Emotionally, she's a wreck. I guess she wants me around because I'm her daughter, but I also happen to be a therapist too. My Dad hurt his hip and can't walk well. I went over and picked through his garden for him and then blanched green beans and stuff so he wouldn't have to do it. Then I mowed his mother's (my grandmother) yard, as he can't. That was 3 yards this week! I'm an only child, there's a lot to keep up with! Then, my best friend (who is married to my husband's best friend) told me that they might be separating. My dog has been acting out, chewed the center piece right out of the sliding glass door! Now it won't stay shut. Man, lots o' stress around here. Whew... I can't remember the last time I had this much action going on. I generally live a pretty quiet life! Hopefully, it will return to quiet in the near future!

Good job Spryng! Getting the steps is easier when you start doing little things. I start needed 12,000 this week and make my steps for last week. It's been a struggle, then the scale started going UP?! What? Oh well, I suppose this too will pass. I would think that it would be harder to get the pounds off as you are closer to your goal. The back section, that CatR helped me understand about steps and resting metabolism may be really beneficial to you.

CatR - We can start a new thread or keep this one, it really doesn't matter to me. Do you have a preference (or anyone else)? I've got my August goal all planned out already and am ready to get that scale going back down! I'm going to try to take your advice and have one scheduled "rest" day per week. I think that I need it, don't we all!

You ladies are definatly keeping me going! I don't think that I have been over-eating or anything since all my stress started, but perhaps it's the reason that I was at 196 forever and now I'm officially 197. I'll just keep moving and see what happens in August!

Happy stepping!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #45  

Morning all!!
I vote on an august thread I like shorter threads for sure, lol..

Sassy, soooo sorry about your mom and her friend! Sounds like you have been very busy lately!

well yesterday I even walked on the treamill for 20 min and I came about 900 steps short for the day, weird.. but I'll add that to todays and catch up I like that you can do extra so one day you can do less, etc which I'm sure I'll be doing alot of but I did peek at the scale this morning and i'm down .6 lbs which I know isn't a lot but it's the right direction my offical wi will be friday