Old 04-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think another issue in the other thread, whether directly stated or not, was the situation in which the meal replacement was being used. I used them in junior high and high school (possibly grade school too, as I was put on my first "diet" at age five, and I don't remember much of my early diets except that I was hungry all of the time and my mother trying to convince me that raw cauliflower tasted like popcorn if you put butter flavored salt on it). However I was also prescribed an amphetemine diet pill in 8th grade. I wouldn't recommend any of that for a growing child or adolescent today (I try not to judge my parents and doctor too harshy, as they were dealing with common wisdom of the times. A lot, thankfully, has changed in the last 36 years). A developing mind and body has different needs than a health adult. Factor in health issues and the aging process, and those needs are different too. Whether a person is being monitored by a doctor, dietician, etc and how closely - that factors in as well.

This is why at any age, ideally a doctor AND a dietitian are having input and monitoring you during your weight loss (and an exercise physiologist or sports medicine doctor would also be nice if you have the bucks or excellent insurance to do it).

I think sustainability IS an issue, but we can't determine that for anyone but ourselves. I think the biggest problem with dieting product and procedure debates is that pros and cons are thrown about with the assumption that they apply to everyone (or the mythical "most" with no stats to back it up). I want research on which programs and products actually do work best for different groups of people (not only with amount of weight loss, but with long-term success with the fewest negative health effects), so it might be easier for people to choose the method that is best for them (without having to do years of experimentation on themselves).

I think meal replacements have their place, and I'm not going to assume what that place is for anyone, but myself. I'd just encourage anyone who is making drastic changes to their normal eating habits to be very smart about it. If you don't have a strong background in diet and nutrition, seek the help of someone who does. Likewise, if you're not in absolutely excellent physical
health (and ideally even then) but especially if you are under 25 or over 50, check with your doctor first. Have that checkup and discuss your plans.

What I have learned in 36 years of dieting, is that attitude and frame of mind has a lot more to do with sustaining weight loss than the methods used to do so (though they also do effect which methods are chosen). We've got to get rid of the attitude that weight has to be lost rapidly and at all costs, with little thought of possible consequences or how the weight loss will be maintained. We've got to stop considering excess body weight as a moral failing, and grounds for social ostracism. Because as long as it is bad and "disgusting" to be fat, people will continue to attempt extreme measures to try to be liked and accepted as quickly as possible and at any cost.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #17  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

APHIL - I LOVE how you always make sense of things and keep us on a rational and clear course of understanding...are you sure you don't know EVERYTHING???
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote