Old 10-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #1  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Wink October Slimfasters

Greetings, Slimfasters! Hope October finds us all eating healthily, reaching mimi-goals and planning long-term ones.

tleef (Tamara) told us last month that Bob Greene was recommending Slimfast in his new book. Sure enough, found online one of his recommended meals that includes it:

Bob Greene's At-Your-Desk Slim-Fast® Breakfast

1 can chilled Slim-Fast Optima Creamy Milk Chocolate Shake
1 medium banana
1 Wasa® crispbread with 2 tsp. peanut butter

Thanks to Jax, I believe, for reminding me to just keep a can of Slimfast at the ready when facing busy days transporting others around. Sometimes you need to bop yourself in the head and say, "I could'a had an SF can". Of course, it also takes shopping right in advance. I only had powdered shakes at the ready and so short on time. I need to stock up!

How's everybody doing?

Last edited by Whittlin; 10-06-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #2  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

Talking

Hello - new to forum...started Slim Fast on 9/23 and have had excellent results. I had joined the gym in mid May of this year and lost about 3lbs...which for working out 3 days/week (minus 2 weeks off for a knee injury) wasn't making me happy.

In any case - lost 5lbs. first week on slim fast, 2.5 the second week, and so far this week have lost 2 more lbs (and it is only Wednesday!).

My typical day consists of slim fast shake for breakfast (I purchased canned optima) around 8:30am, snack around 10:30 (usually the SF chocolate muffin bar), lunch of turkey & cheese or ham & cheese wrap with side of light potato chips (I'm not giving them up, just eating wiser!) around 1:30pm, snack (or slim fast shake) around 5pm, then gym for 90 minutes (30 eliptical, remainder w/weights & 10 min. steam room), then usually 1/2 bag of popcorn or another slim fast snack bar when I get home...which is late (usually 9-9:30pm) and I probably shouldn't have it that late, but so far it is working.

I'm not hungry between snacks/meals...I am happy that I am losing weight (12.5 lbs. off from my start weight as of today) and am surprised the slim fast is working for me (tried it a couple of years ago and just couldn't stick to it). It might be odd that my "sensible meal" is at lunch, but I like it better that way - it just works for me. I also think the fact that I was working out for almost 4 months before starting SF was key to my commitment to SF.

My goal for Christmas (10 weeks away - holy cow!) is minus 20lbs. That will put me at 195 for the holidays - and only losing 2lbs. per week, which so far so good...even if I am only on week 3!

Oh...and now I work out about 5-6 days per week...I'm sure that has assisted...but I think SF is the big thing getting the scale to move!

Well, hope to talk to more of you soon! Thanks for the great forum!

Last edited by SunshineRunner; 10-10-2007 at 11:02 PM.
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #3  
Whittlin

gatoramanda, that is just wonderful. Thanks so much for detailing your plan and results here. I know that for anyone who is considering a plan, it just helps so much to see what someone is doing successfully. In fact, I'm an old hand at SlimFast but I'm sure going to reread it! Yep, agree that exercise has gotta be a part! Good luck on 195 at the holidays!

Did I mention that my dh is very pleased with the "Easy to Digest" Chocolate shake cans? He is a person who will need the easy to digest ones and we're so glad these do not bother his digestive system at all, taste good to him. He is not "on" a SlimFast diet/program, but uses the shakes along with a sensible diet.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Whittlin, haven't seen you for awhile. I see our stats are about the same.I am at that point of losing those last few dreadful pounds. Gonna have a slimfast breakfast now, slimfast and a banana in the blender, tasty and very filling.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Just a giggle to share---- Have a Great day!!

One evening a husband, thinking he was being funny, said to his
wife 'Perhaps we should start washing your clothes in Slim Fast. Maybe
it would take a few inches off of your butt!!'

His wife was not amused, and decided that she simply couldn't
let such a comment go unrewarded.

The next morning the husband took a pair of underwear out of his
drawer. 'What the **** is this??' he said to himself as a little
'dust' cloud appeared when he shook them out.

'April,' he hollered into the bathroom, 'Why did you put talcum
powder in my underwear?'

She replied with a snicker...
'It's not talcum powder......
It's 'Miracle Grow'.'
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #6  
oakgiraffes

S/C/G: 250/181/140

Height: 5'5"

Whittlin,

I am new to Slim Fast. I've been on the program for 6 weeks now. I've only lost 2 lbs.

I have lost 70lbs. by eating sensibly and a strict walking program. I lost in 15 months. But for the past 9 months I have not been able to lose. I have 40 more pounds to go.
So I started Slim Fast in hopes of starting to lose again.

I posted in the introductions about my desire to get losing again. It was suggested by a few, that I may not be eating enough calories. Since I work out so much. I walk 7-10 miles a day, 6 days a week. I ride my bike 2 miles a day, 6 days a week. I take a water aerobics class and lift weights 3 times per week. So in additon to Slim Fast, I have upped my calories by 500 daily. We will see if that shakes things up a bit.

It is nice to have found this thread. I look forward to contributing and reading for inspiration.
oakgiraffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #7  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning All!

Sorry I've been MIA again. Things get really hectic this time of year with cooking Thanksgiving and all of the entertaining we do. I've had big crowds (8 or more) for dinner 4 times in the last 2 weeks! I've only lost 0.5 lbs (all those big dinners) but at least I haven't gained. Whittlin I'll post the recipe at the bottom of this email for the waffles. Also, you can get all kinds of products from Walden Farms...pancake syrup, chocolate syrup, pasta sauces, salad dressings...the list goes on and on and they're ALL SUGAR FREE/CARB FREE/CALORIE FREE (for the most part). If you're in the US it's much easier becuase you can order them directly from the Walden Farms website. Up here in the great white North I buy them at the Diabetic Depot. I also found sugar free ice cream (Chapmans) to go with a sugar free pie recipe I made for my grandfather at Thanksgiving (he's diabetic and was so delighted with the treat that he asked what I was making for the next dinner they come for)...LOL

Anyhow here is the recipe:
Blueberry Whole Grain Waffles
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups 8th Continent vanilla soy milk
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
1 cup Cascadian Farm frozen organic blueberries, thawed and drained

1. Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray, and heat iron. In large bowl, mix all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, and salt.
2. In small bowl, mix soy milk, oil, and egg sub. until well blended. Add to flour mixture all at once and stir just until large lumps disappear. Gently stir in blueberries.
3. Pour slightly less than 1 cup batter onto centre of hot waffle iron, spreading batter to edges. Close lid.
4. Cook 3 - 5 minutes or until waffle is golden brown and steaming stops. Carefully remove waffle. Serve immediately. Repeat with remaining batter.

Makes 6 servings (2 waffles each)

Per serving: 206 Calories, 7 g Protein, 30 g Carb, 7 g Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 3 g Fiber, 398 mg Sodium, 227 mg Calcium
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #8  
is baaaad to the bone!

Week 3 - minus 3.5 lbs...nothing yet for week 4...we still have time though
Old 10-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #9  
Whittlin

Karen!!! Too funny. thanks!

bargoo, I am maintaining! This is a good thing but I was wanting to lose a couple more pounds, so your post hits home with the "dreadful last pounds", yes. I have just about decided to stop bananas. They have quite a lot of calories as a fruit/veggie serving and I might be better off with another!

Hi there oakgiraffes. Congrats on the 70 pounds and the active lifestyle! So you are adding in 500 calories in addition to the number recommended for you on the plan/website? That sounds wise. You are expending a LOT of energy (a good thing!) and need plenty of calories to support your body. No doubt you are much more active than most people who go on the plan. Have you taken into consideration how much more muscle you have built as you make your target goal weight? You will certainly be at least 10 pounds heavier at the same size (maybe more) as a similar person who does not lift and bike.

Thanks for the info and recipe, Tamara! I'm amazed you were able to lose even a smidgen with all those guests! Especially when you are the one doing the entertaining/cooking.

Woo Hoo on week 3 gatoramanda - 3.5 pounds!

Last edited by Whittlin; 10-19-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Whittlin, you are doing good maintaining. That is the next step that I am worried about, I know I can lose. I fail at maintaining, call it complacency, carelessness, laziness or all of the above.About bananas I allow myself about 2 per week.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #11  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everyone,

I've also been maintaining recently - not where I want to be, but too many other issues in my life to focus as much as I was on weight loss, so I'm glad to have been able to abandon that focus and still maintain! I've had a major bout of bronchitis, plus a whole bunch of time trying to find the best help for my 10 y.o. son, recently diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. We haven't had to deal with mental issues before, so this is new to me. It's nice to be able to get some help, but everything is a slow process.

Now I'm feeling better - not back into the complete swing of exercise yet, but more energy than I've had in a month, and I've settled into a plan that seems to be sticking this week, at least. I'm having the Slimfast for breakfast, usually with some berries added, then either another slimfast for lunch or a small Sonoma-diet type lunch with lots of veggies - depending on where I am (yes, that slimfast in the car is useful when out!). Supper is more along the Sonoma diet lines, and I'm not finding myself wanting too many snacks, but I'm sticking mostly with veggies, light fruit (the less sugary types) and a few almonds. I'm headed down the scale again to date this week - official weigh in will be at TOPS on Thursday. Although my running program is waaaaay off the rails, I do have the energy to cook nutritious food again without relying on premade stuff as I have too much over the last month.

I know it seems odd, but I think my difficulties (disillusionment) with Slimfast came when I started adding their snacks instead of just using the shakes. When I first began I was snacking mostly on fruit, veggies and a little protein (LF cheese, nuts). Then I started eating their muffin bars and stopped getting enough fresh food. So I'm keeping away from those now.

Well that's me. Tamara - those waffles sound good - I'll have to try them. I made an awesome French Toast this weekend - basically the standard recipe with a whole wheat bread base, non-fat milk etc. but I added "poudre douce" from Epicure Selections to it. It was very spicy and yummy. We had it with peaches and yoghurt. I'll have to try the pancakes next weekend. Sunday is our breakfast day - I don't have a shake for breakfast on that day.

Whitlin and bargoo - you're both doing so well to be that close to goal. Maintenance isn't any easier either. Keep it up!

Hi oakgirrafes and gatormanda - good to see you. Slimfast is a tool like any other, one that works for lots of folks. You both seem to be doing well. Congrats on the losses so far.

Time to feed the dogs now...
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #12  
is baaaad to the bone!

Yay! The scale finally moved this morning after a 10 day stall....finally! I'll take that whole lb and be happy for a bit...although I will fight the scale all week long to lose at least one more! Have a great week!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:56 PM   #13  
Cutieshirl

Well, I am thinking of starting slimfast after many years, but I know I tried it a few years ago and find it never holds me for long...I am hungry soon after or feel almost like a burning in the esophogus, like I have acid reflux..anyone have any suggestions of how I can do this? I am hypothyroid and am taking hormone meds so the weight has packed on over the year to about 20 lbs..I have to be motivated to go to the gym....any suggestions??
cutieshirl40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #14  
is baaaad to the bone!

cutieshirl - i started the gym before I started SF - about 3 months of gym before SF - then I was so motivated nothing could stop me. I have been on SF for 5 weeks now and had lost only 3lbs. while going to the gym for those months...added on SF and lost an additional 13lbs. in the past 5 weeks. Had one stagnant week where I didn't lose any...but I am back on losing again.

I had previously tried SF a couple of years ago as well - can't remember if it was the SF Optima - which I use now and states it will keep you fuller longer - but I ad in snacks throughout the day - my day is usually SF Shake @ 8:30am, 150 cal. snack @ 11:30am, my sensible meal is usually my lunch sometime between 1-3pm, followed by shake around 5pm ...trip to gym at 7:30pm, then back home with snack - 100 calorie snack - around 10pm.

I'm staying full by making sure most of my snacks have higher fiber counts. I love the Fiber One Oat & Chocolate Chip bars - they are delicious and carry 35% of daily fiber in one bar....I also usually have that as my morning snack - and since SF Shakes have 20% daily fiber - before noon I have had 55% of my daily fiber....keeps me full and I'm not focused on what to eat next!

Good LucK!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #15  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

Well good morning ladies!

I've been totally off the wagon for the past couple of weeks. I'm sitting at 203.5...which is up a pound.

I went and had my engagement photo shoot done (see avitar) and some of the photos were wonderful and others made me feel so bad about my weight. You know how cameras do that...actually it's not the camera that makes me look fat...it's my a$$ that makes me look fat! LOL

Either way it gave me big motivation to get at least another 20lbs off before my wedding and ideally be well into ONEderland by Christmas.

cutieshirl - I love the slimfast plan...it's no longer just a couple shakes and a meal, I eat a ton of good food every day. I would go to the US website (slimfast.com) and check out the meal plans.

gatoramanda - The only thing that I don't see a lot of in your daily intake is fruits and veggies. Why not replace the SF snack bars with a banana and peanut butter or veggie sticks and high fiber crackers. I've found that eating a lot of low calorie, high density food (like salads, etc) keep me full longer and I'm getting all of my RDI for nutrients etc. Have you tried using a tracker like sf.com or fitday.com or the dailyplate.com? This will give you terrific insight into things that you may be lacking in your daily diet. While the SF products (snacks) are meant to be used on the plan...I think it's important to get the 7-8 servings of fruit/veggies a day as well as lots of protein and fibre.

Cheers, Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote