Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Question Help-working this weekend and no coolers allowed

I started LAWL 4 weeks ago and have done really well. This weekend, however, I am working both days at an air show and we are not allowed to bring in coolers or backpacks. My plan of bringing some fruit, cut up veggies, a couple of hard boiled eggs are gone.

I can't eat the Lites (soy allergies), so I don't have the option of bringing a couple of them either. They will sell fast food (ykkk) and I really don't want to go off program for two whole days. I thought of bringing some meal replacement protein bars (whey) and counting them as a protein and starch, would that work? I can bring a couple of apples in a my fanny pack and even thought of bringing a couple of string cheeses.

Any ideas? I will be working from 7:00 am until about 6:00 pm both days, so dinner can be at home.

Thanks
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #2  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

geez--they aren't making it easy for you that's for sure. Will there be a "workers tent" or place for you guys to take breaks with a microwave? I know soup is not "allowed" but in a pinch the Campbells soup at hand would work out. I can't believe they expect you to be out there all day without a place to store cold foods/water bottles. Sorry I am no help--good luck
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #3  

Height: 5'2"

OK my first suggestion is to eat breakfast at home or on the way to the air show. How about the old peanut butter and jelly sandwich? That would be a starch and a protein. I don't know what plan you are on, but you could bring almonds or another on plan "nut" as a fat and a snack. Let us know how things work out for you. Wish you the best!!!
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #4  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Although you cannot bring the coolers into the show, can you pack a cooler, leave it in your car, and take your breaks in your car???

If you truly are limited to your fanny pack, I think having a couple good whey protein bars is the way to go. If it's as hot in Oregon as the rest of the country, I'd stay away from any with chocolate in them!!. Mini boxes of raisins also pack nicely (fruit exchange). Make sure you eat a good breakfast before you go and have something healthy waiting for you when you get home since you may be obsessing about real food most of the day....I know I would. Stay away from the vendors...or you'll regret it come Monday.

Good luck.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #5  
Restart lawl 7-14-08

S/C/G: 150.2/?/127

Height: 5'5"

Good for you for planning ahead!

Could you bring a larger fanny pack? Will a short 8 oz bottle of water fit in your fanny pack? You could freeze that and put it in the fanny pack with some cut up veggies, hard boiled eggs and string cheese. Just eat the things that could spoil earlier in the day. BTW, lites would melt in the heat just like the other food will spoil, so I’d be at a loss too! You might fit a slimdown in your fanny pack with the frozen bottle of water. If you eat nuts, you could put a few in a zip loc bag as your fat for the day. They won’t go bad.

We had a booth at a few county fairs for dh’s business and I was able to bring snacks, but for dinner I would order a chicken or pork tenderloin sandwich without breading and just eat the meat without the bread. I counted the meat as a protein and a fat since I didn’t know if it had anything on it. It is not perfect on plan but it is better than most of the choices

Enjoy!
hollyak24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Throw a tuna kit in the fanny pack. Some raisins or other dried fruit. Baby carrots stay really well w/o refrigeration for a few hours. Or maybe a vendor will have chicken kebabs or salads? You could always see what's out there that's plan-friendly and then have your tuna kit as a backup.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #7  

What awesome suggestions. I will definitely wear an extra fanny pack. They supply food for the volunteers, but it is hamburger and chips, snacks are all the vending machine ones and of course, plenty of water. They eliminate coolers because they want the vendors to keep coming back to the air show. My counselor said to eat the hampburger and bun and 10 fires as a CC, but the last time I did something like that it set off cravings like you would not believe.

I am going to definitely take the suggestions here. Car will be parked too far away for me to go back there for a break, but that is a great idea for when I get done so I can eat a healthy snack on the way home. I will bring a frozen water bottle in the extra fanny pack with a baggie of veggies and some string cheese and a couple of pieces of fruit. I will go ahead and eat the hamburger and the bun and just count it as a protein and 2 starches.

Thanks again for all your help, you guys rock! ! !
Old 08-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #8  
-- Karen --

S/C/G: 165/143/140

Height: 5' 6"

can you takea purse in?
I have a purse that doubles as a tote bag that I use when we travel. If you could do something like that - you could put frozen water bottles in it with some fruits and veggies, and the frozen bottles will help keep the stuff cool, and as the ice melts you will have water to drink.

Are the snowbirds coming to your air show? There was an air show here this past weekend. The snowbirds are incredible.

Good Luck
slim n trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim n trim View Post
Are the snowbirds coming to your air show? There was an air show here this past weekend. The snowbirds are incredible.
LOL... I'm in South Florida and I thought you meant did all the snowbirds come back home to you guys up there! Snowbirds has an entirely different meaning down here.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #10  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hehe, Cassie, we have a group of about 600 older folks from Arizona who summer here. We have always called them "Sunbirds"!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #11  

Exactly!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #12  

That's funny, my mom lives in Florida and her condo complex is full of snow birds who come down there only in the winter. They mostly live in the northeast and quite a few from canada.

I can't bring a purse, because my assignment is crowd control and security so I would have nowhere to stash it. I do, have 2 fanny packs, like I said and I am taking all of your ideas and using one fanny pack for the small bottles of frozen water, cheese sticks, a couple of pieces of fruit, some wasa crackers and cut up veggies.
Perfect.

Thanks again
Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #13  
-- Karen --

S/C/G: 165/143/140

Height: 5' 6"

To funny Cassie,

I know exactly what you are talking about. A lot of the people from here go to Arizona, or California for the winter. We call them the snow birds as well.

Actually though, the snow birds I was referring to is a group of 9 pilots with their planes - they do acrobats and stuff, they fly so close to each other they almost touch. Its amazing to watch.
slim n trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #14  

We are not getting the Snow Birds (performers, LOL) but we are getting the Blue Angels this year. We get a jet team every other year. Last year was my first Air Show in Oregon (transplanted from the east coast) and no Blue Angels. We had a tragic crash with one of the private jets that lost hydraulic power and crashed into a house. Fortunately no one on the ground was injured, the folks were not home and their lab puppy escaped to the neighbor soaked with jet fuel but no injuries. Sadly, the pilot perished.

Anyway, thanks again for the wonderful ideas. I am going out to get some baby carrots and a couple of tuna kits (great to have on hand for emergencies, I never would have thought of those. Cheese sticks and a couple of apples and I am all set.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #15  

An update on my cooler problem and how you'all helped me lose FOUR pounds this week. I took all your ideas and this is what I did: I used the frozen bottle of water in my jumbo fanny pack and put in a ziploc bag of baby carrots, 2 apples, 2 pieces of laughing cow lite cheese and a container of activia light. Also took a baggie of fiber one and one with 10 walnutes. A small tub (the kind they put on tables at restaurants and a couple of wasa crackers. Ate the PB and a cracker for Bfast with the yogurt. Had the hamburger they served for lunch but instead of their chips, I ate my apple. Counted the hamburger as a protein and the bun as 2 starches . (I know I could have counted it as a carb craver as just one protein, but I decided to count the extra starch). Ate the rest of the food scattered in the day and went home and made a 3 egg omelet with veggies for dinner with another piece of fruit. I drank plenty of water.

Weighed in yesterday and I lost 4.2 pounds this week. I had lost .8 the week before and .6 the week before that so I was stoked to lose the 4.2.

You'all rock! I so appreciate your ideas and wanted to let you know they really worked like a charm.