Old 05-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #1  
MyBoysNMe2

S/C/G: 168/134.8/135

Height: 5'3"

Question Can someone help me please....

I'm still new to this whole deal and am very reluctant to try new things because I don't know how to figure out the exchanges. If it's not in the book I'm afraid to eat it! Is there some formula or something that I don't know about????

Thanks in advance!

Kim
myboysnme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/213/150

Height: 5'7

I know what you mean I am on day 5 of this and I have only eatten whats in the book.
My dh brought home some applewood smoked bacon from work ( he is a food sales rep) that was part of a sample. I want to try 2 pieces but i bet its a NO NO. I am going to ask when I go get weighted today.

I would love to also know how to fiugre out if there is something thats not in the book to know what to count it as or if its forgetits ville.
6digmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

No formula. Is there something specific you're needing? The recipes we have are mostly converted directly from the LA Chef. Everything else is just broken down by the ingredients. Like if you went out to a restaurant not in your book and ordered grilled chicken and veggies, you would count 1P,V, and I always add use my fat. They put it everywhere in a restaurant, even if it's just a tiny bit.

Or if you ordered a chicken ceasar salad. You could compare it with the same item from another restaurant listed in your book.

Also, feel free to ask specific questions here, or call your COD and ask them what you should do. Even after over a year on the plan I will print out a menu from a restaurant and take it to the COD and have them come up with a game plan for me. You will get comfortable with it, though. It just takes some time.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Steph - That would probably be a "NO" on the bacon. Unlike other plans, some stuff just isn't on the plan in the weight loss phase. But it will be added back in maintenance.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:04 PM   #5  
LAWL Salt Police

Not probably.. It's a definite "NO".... Believe me, I fought tooth and nail on this one.. ME LOVES BACON.....

You can sometimes get away with turkey bacon, but if you decide to, wait until you're on the plan for a while.. Be sure to compare different brands and choose the one with the lowest amount of sodium and fat...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #6  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Ooo, does that mean I get bacon next week when I officially start maintaining. Though to be honest I really don't miss it at all. Especially after whatever health and fitness magazine I was reading said most nutritionists would count it as a Fat over a Protein.

When in doubt ask, that's the best advice. The rule of thumb COD gave me for starches is to try to stick about 20 grams of carbs and 60 calories. As for eating out, I stick to what I know can work comfortably. Typically that's a salad or grilled chicken and fish with a PLAIN baked potato and steamed veggies. I went out for Italian food for the first time this Monday, my eyes didn't even go to the pasta section on the menu, it went straight to the salads section.

It gets easier with time--or at least it seems to.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #7  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzbe View Post
Ooo, does that mean I get bacon next week when I officially start maintaining. Though to be honest I really don't miss it at all. Especially after whatever health and fitness magazine I was reading said most nutritionists would count it as a Fat over a Protein.
In my maintenance book, which they gave me when I started stabilization for some crazy reason, bacon is indeed listed under fats rather than protein. It says:

Bacon:
meat (1/2 oz) = 1 fat
low sodium (1/2 oz) = 1 fat
turkey (2 oz) = 1 fat
veggie (3 strips) = 1 fat

Hope that helps you bacon lovers out there, and gives you something to look forward to!
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote