Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 AM   #1  

Default Duke diet

Has anyone heard of or done the Duke diet they have a book and also a pay site but I guess you go and stay there. But I was interested in the at home version. Anyone know anything about? Thanks.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I investigated it but didn't sign up for it as I am getting close to goal, but
I think they would be worth it , not too expensive and I believe they are ethical and not a scam.By the way I keep getting emails from them making a better offer.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #3  

If I had done it I would have done the online version at $5 a week and one week free.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Are you referring to the Rice Diet Solution? It really does work. I also tried it to see what it was like, and it was pretty unappealing for me! However, I found out later that there were a lot of good recipes that I didn't know about, and that could have made it more fun. I had no problem with overeating, because the low sodium diet kills the appetite. Sodium makes you want more, no sodium makes you want less. If I were to ever try it again, I would do an online version and get recipes. It would make it much tastier.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #5  

Jennifer it's not the rice diet it's more like calorie counting. I have also heard of the rice diet and it looks interesting.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #6  

The online diet includes 400 recipes, can't be the rice diet.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I got the book, here's the cover. Aren't they well-reputed for working on obesity during an inpatient visit? Maybe a place Richard Simmons visits or something? I know I heard of them prior to this book, either via Discovery Health or some other reliable news program. Jennifer, would this be a book we could have a moderator review for us? I'll be reading it anyway, but have enjoyed the book discussion in the maintainer's thread and thought I would suggest this as the next possible book discussion if we want to do another one.

sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love this book. I found it in the library last week, and will definitely be buying it.

Duke University Medical School and hospital have been very well-known and respected for their obesity treatment and reseach for many years. I was looking into their inpatient treatment almost 20 years ago (but of course, as still is unfortunately typical, my insurance wouldn't cover it).

I haven't read it all yet, and so far there's been nothing radically new or revolutionary, but it's good, solid, common-sense information, using an exchange program in both a traditional and lower carb option (2-3 servings per day compared to 6-8 for the traditional plan).

Because it is an exchange based plan, and I was tempted to buy Richard Simmon's foodmover (he is selling it again on his website for about $20) to use with it, but I think I'll just make an exchange worksheet on my spreadsheet program instead.

I did sort of feel like the V-8 commercial with a slam to my forehead, for not considering going back to an exchange program sooner. WW was an exchange program before they went to points, and I was on Richard Simmon's plan before that (also an exchange program). I've always done fairly well on exchange programs in the past, and I like that they reinforce a balanced diet.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

I thought the Duke Diet was the Rice Diet. I didn't know they had two. I'll check it out!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:56 PM   #10  

I got the 2 week free trial on the website it was to much cooking for me. The meals looked good but they were all alot of ingredients. I'm interested in the exchanges also but it just didn't seem like the duke diet was for me.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Carrie,

In the book, it listed the number of exchanges for a 1200 - 1600 calorie diet, and listed examples of typical exchanges (very similar to most exchange programs I've seen, such as Healthy Exchanges, the Diabetes association diabetic exchanges, TOPS, Richard Simmons, WW old plan...) Is the website plan more structured or more complicated? In the book, it didn't seem so.

I haven't gotten to the recipe section if there is one, but nothing in the book so far has indicated that you have to use any specific recipes. Also since the exchanges seem to be identical to most exchange plans, there are a lot of cookbooks older and newer that you could find (at amazon.com or in the library) that would have exchanges listed.

I don't think I would pay $20 for the online version, as there didn't seem to be much more available than you could find on the internet free (though you might have to visit a few sites instead of having it all in one place).

If you're interested in exchange programs. TOPS has printable exchange cards (similar in concept to Richard Simmons' old deal-a-meal program) that you can print out. In the printout are instructions for using the cards. The only drawback is that the fronts and backs of the cards are printed seperately. I printed them on sticker paper (Creat It! brand "Print & Stick project paper") I'm going to cut the printed cards out and peel off the sticky backing and stick the fronts and backs onto cards from an old deck of playing cards. I might get them laminated if I can find a shop in town that does it.

Here is the link to the page with the TOPS freebee printouts. I don't think TOPS is in any way a competitor site, but if so, the link probably won't work

http://www.tops.org/ReadArticle.asp?articleId=1086
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:11 AM   #12  

i didn't know about it but you guys have posted quite a lot of information about it.
justlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #13  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Freedom View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just got back from 5 weeks at Duke. I'm going to start a new thread just to let people know that I was there for 5 weeks and that I will gladly answer any questions people might have about it.

Some might say that 5 weeks doesn't make me an expert on Duke but my positive attitude plus a penchant for wanting to understand and pick things up very quickly allowed me to digest a lot of information AND to get a real lot out of it.

I pretty much did everything I needed to do and more and have a lot of useful insights to share with anyone who wants to know more. Ok, so rather than have this buried about 6 posts down, I'm going to start a Q&A thread specifically about Duke Diet (aka the DFC).

Sam

Well, do tell, Mr. Freedom!!
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote