Old 01-04-2007, 07:34 AM   #16  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Whoa Carol - how horrifying. Such a sad start to a new year for that poor family. If one needed a lesson from that experience I suppose the importance of keeping yourself healthy is one.

My week/year has gotten off to a good start. I have been able to jump back into clean eating and exercise with minimal trouble. The start date of Jan. 2 seemed to do the trick - I was relieved to see it roll around. Though I ate a lot things that I should not have over the last month or so, I think I threw away even more food. It just got crazy there for a while. I'd buy a pint of ice cream, eat some and then throw away the rest in a sort of nightmarish war between old ledom and new ledom. Not fun. I am not weighing for a while but I hope by the time I go back to work in a couple of weeks my jeans will be fitting again. I have been getting rid of clothes as I shrank out of them. I wondered at the wisdom of that and as I started reaching for one size back I really began to see why it was a good thing. I have cute new clothes - I like wearing those cute clothes and I am unwilling to buy larger sizes so there you are. I am getting my confidence back that it won't be long until I'll be looking good in them. Once I get back in my "skinny jeans" I plan to buy a size smaller to work my way into.

Hope everyone else is finding things easier in the new year as well.

Thanks for the recipe Sienna - that sounds good.

I don't think I mentioned here that I recently joined a gym. It is less than a mile from my house. Though I have a nice setup in my basement I felt I needed something to knock me out of my rut. I am loving this gym. There are so many machines and varieties of ways to workout there and it is easier. With my home gym there is a lot of work involved in setting up the equipment for different exercises, not so at the gym where you just walk from one specialized piece of equipment to another. It is taking a while to learn just how to use everything. There is a pretty good vibe there too. After the initial couple visits when I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb I am really enjoying the energy I get from working out with other people around.

So I'll say it once again, with meaning. This is the year I plan to hit my goal weight.

Last edited by ledom; 01-04-2007 at 07:39 AM.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #17  

Carol, what an awful thing to happen to that poor family, especially his 16 yr. old daughter. What a terrible way to start the new year.

Siena, thank you for the recipe. It really looks yummy. Does the recipe make a lot and does it freeze well? It sounds like something I would like for my lunch during the week. I tend to eat the same things whether or not I'm dieting. Because of my DH's schedule it's very hard to prepare any decent meals for dinner. Sometimes we don't sit down to dinner until 7:00 pm or 8:00 pm. So, I usually prepare something light like a salad or soup. The days he comes home early or on his days off are usually when I make a meal.

ledom, glad that you like going to the gym. At least you'll have different scenery and be with other people. With your determination you'll be in your "skinny jeans" in no time.

LaDean, hope you had a good holiday. When will you be starting line dancing? That sounds like a fun way to exercise.

I am becoming friendly with my neighbor across the street and we're about the same age. We have been chatting on and off for the past few months. We have started walking together in the mornings. Both of us have things coming up later in the year that we want to lose weight for and are thinking about joining WW together. I know I've joined and dropped out of WW a number of times, but I think it will be different going to meetings and doing the diet with a friend. So, 2007 has started out great.

Everyone, enjoy your day!
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #18  

Hi, yes what a sad thing to happen. i had 2 deaths during christmas and all sudden ones not sick. so strange and sad. can hardly believe it still. I am doing good with my plan. tuesday was up at tops for over holidays 2 weeks in fact not having meetings. so today i was down 2.50 so a tickled one i am.. oh it feels good to be on a downward trend again. so long just a stand still. oh Aleka so happy you have a friend to work with now. that always helps yes. i have one i got to call. we have free fitness center at our elks lodge my hubby is member. so can go to it. so indoors. so going to see if she will start going again with me and all. i walked beau this am as most every day. my daughter got him a raincoat for christmas. oh so cute on him he does not care to much for hood as it falls down on eyes. so i am going to pin it some way so does not. i got some pictures. he does not mind wearing them. i am adding to my exercise also. that always helped me and i got so behind with it. good luck to all. we can do this and will do it this new year. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #19  

Carol, how sad that that man had to die so suddenly. How terrible for you to have to see it happen, and how awful for his family.

LaDean, I am so sorry to hear also that you had the two deaths so unexpectedly and so close together. OTOH, how nice that you're OP and doing well! Now, since I'm rather new to this thread, would you catch me up on who Beau is? And will you be posting those pictures of Beau?

Quote:
oh it feels good to be on a downward trend again
Oh, you said it so well! I haven't followed my diet as well as I'd like, but I'm better at it each day, and the scale is going down already.

Aleka, the recipe makes 4-6 portions. It's very filling, and yes, it freezes very well. I freeze it for work lunches -- had it today, in fact. If you make it, do let me know how you and your husband like it.

Ledom, congratulations on getting back on track so nicely, and on finding a gym that's right for you. I'm betting you'll be posting soon that you're back in those jeans.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #20  

La Dean, I am so sorry about the 2 deaths you had which are especially hard during the holidays. You have my condolences. Congratulations on your weight loss. That is terriffic you lost during the holiday season. Good for you!

Siena, Thank you for letting me know how many servings in the recipe and that it freezes well. I am sorry to say that my dh will not eat lentils. I love them so I'll be able to have this dish all to myself. Congratulations on your weight loss. Each day will get better and better for you.

Hi ledom & carol

Tomorrow dh & I are off to Whole Foods market in Sarasota. I love going there.

Enjoy your weekend everybody!
Old 01-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #21  

Hi, beau is my big baby,haha hes a boston bull terrier and is 10 years old. have had him a year. loss my other one at 12 years. so hes the baby. ha ha he is also over wt. trying to cut down with him. scales just are not budging. ha ha so glad you joined the board. thanks to all of you. i am so glad to have friends to share with here and lose wt together. good luck to all of you.. LaDean HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND..
Old 01-09-2007, 01:21 AM   #22  

Without going into detail, I'll just say i've had some terrifying life stresses these last few days. Naturally, following my diet hasn't been my uppermost priority. The problems are not over (and may never be), but there's absolutely nothing I can do about them for a week. After tears and fear, I've decided to control what I can and get back to the diet. I haven't totally been off (hard to eat with all the upset anyway), but I haven't cooked.

So, tomorrow lunch will be the tofu stirfry I've been planning. I hope the bean sprouts haven't rotted yet... and then the African yam and peanut stew. Both of these are from last week's menu plan.

Also want to make:

-- a veggie wrap with cream cheese that someone in another thread mentioned. I guess that'll be one lunch, not a freeze-for-other-times meal.

-- Flounder & Broccoli in Cream Sauce (I use skim milk. There is butter in it, so it's still fattening, but amazingly, I've always lost weight with this dish.)

-- Vegighetti (veggies in Ragu sauce with ricotta cheese)

That should do me for the week.

What I really need to do is my exercising. OMG, it makes such a difference when I do it! My body is looser and everything feels more comfortable. I lose weight a bit faster. I sleep better. And it'll keep my mind off my problems while I'm doing it...
Old 01-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #23  
Chick

Siena - so sorry you are in distress. Whatever is going on, I hope abates soon. I agree that exercise can be a huge distraction/endorphin to make you feel better. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #24  

Hi, sorry the stress. but you will over come it. seems we always do. just human and our eating goes out of bounds. mine does sometimes with no stress.ha ha loss 3.25 lbs this week so a happy girl here. just was eating what i wanted but less and lots of fruit and vegies. well i got to thinking how hungry i feel all the time. so on my atkins i never felt that empty feeling. i felt full. so back to it i am going i decided. it worked and kept it off 2 years so decided that shows me that is the answer for me now.. so i wish all of you a good week. we will get with it. its early yet in the year. ha ha so together we can and will. LaDean
Old 01-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #25  

Siena, so sorry about all that you are going through right now. I hope things get better for you real soon. That's good you're keeping with your plan and you're right about exercising, it does take your mind off of things and make you feel better.

LaDean, congratulations on your weight loss. Keep it up!

Hey ledom!

Old 01-11-2007, 01:37 AM   #26  

hi, Aleka. thanks so very much. yes i was ready for a loss. had been awhile. you and everyone have a good week. LaDean
Old 01-13-2007, 08:01 PM   #27  

Hi, all.

For the most part, I haven't been OP. I took the good things I cooked last week for lunch, so that was okay. Then I'd come home and have soup (canned, not so good) or a sandwich for dinner and munch. Not bingeing, but not good eating.

Exercise would be so helpful, but I've been exhausted all week, staying awake long enough to eat dinner, then falling into bed. (Okay, I notice I managed to stay awake long enough to munch, too!) This is a real problem, part of my health issues, but I MUST break the cycle.

So tonight I will go grocery shopping for a few things, come home and prepare them, and start my diet again in the morning.

I'll be following FlyLady routines, too. (http:flylady.net for those who haven't heard of her)

I'm craving roast beef, so we'll see what I can find along those lines. I prefer lean cuts anyway, so no issues there.

But for tonight, I'll buy ground turkey for turkey chili (with beans) and black beans for black bean soup or fajitas or something.

And per the FlyLady dictum of "You can do anything for 15 minutes" I'll get in 15 minutes of exercise tonight no matter what. Stay tuned. I'm going to make a commitment right now to reporting back tomorrow and saying what I did for my 15 minutes of exercise.

Hope you all had a good week. LaDean, congratulations on that 3.25 pound loss! Now, have you weighed Beau lately?

And thanks, all, for your good wishes and support.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #28  

Hi, yes weighed beau and hes still not loss anything. guess just like me is going to take time. ha i have to keep eye on him as i have the dr. scales type and he puts front paws on them and slips his back ones off on floor. so cute. like hey mom i am down. ha ha i am glad your getting back to your planning and all. i need to do this. got some meat yesterday so going to be on atkins again. loss on it and have kept the 33 lbs off for 2 years now. so figured hey i need to get with it again. eating the protein i find i do not get hungry as much as i do when i have lots of fruit and vegies.. well have a good day to all. LaDean
Old 01-15-2007, 09:12 AM   #29  
Chick

Morning - flylady. Boy do I need a dose of her. Housekeeping is not my strong suit.

I had a pretty good weekend in terms of healthy eating and exercise. I weigh less this morning than I did Friday morning so I call it a success. Just one slip on Friday night but I was able to rein myself in pretty quickly.

We have had about 8" of rain this weekend. Yuk. Luckily it has also been warm but today it is turning cold again - rain is supposed to stop though so maybe we won't have icy weather as those just to the west are having.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #30  

ledom, I heard about all nasty weather and though immediately of you. Are you in any danger of floods where you live? I hope everything is ok in your neck of the woods. I couldn't believe the ice in OK. Congratulations on you weight loss.

LaDean, that's great you've lost again. Lacee went to the Vet last Thurs. for her annual shots, heartworm, & dog license. She weights 16 lbs. She's always in the 16-17 lbs. range.

Siena, I need the flylady too. Hope your roast beef was good. I find if you're craving something and have it, you can get by with a smaller amount to feel satisfied.

I hopped on the scale this morning and I'm down 3 lbs. My neighbor & I are into week 3 walking and I'm not following any particular WOE, I'm just eating less.

Have a wonderful day.