Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #1  
Former Frump

S/C/G: 205/175/149

Height: 5'5"

Smile Want to connect with other motivated chicas!

I am about half-way through my journey, and just found this site. I am looking for ways to keep myself focused on the goal, and find that forums are a great way to do that... it helped me quit smoking 4 years ago! Now this is my next battle, to get the excess weight off and adopt a healthier way of life.

I am not sure how much I weighed at my heaviest, but believe it was 205-208 lbs. I'm now down to about 177, averaging about 2.5 lbs per week. My program is simple: make smarter food choices and devote time to physical activity. I walk to and from work, 2.5 miles round trip. Also walk my dogs, another .5 miles on hot days, up to 2.5 miles on nice days. I climb on the elliptical machine for about an hour 4-6 days a week, also do Tai Bo and toning work. I try and mix things up so my body doesn't get too used to anything.

My diet is high fiber and lots of protein. About 1400 cals per day. And I plan splurges to keep myself from feeling deprived.

I love having people to share the journey with. If anyone is looking for a buddy, count me in! Thanks!
I_am_Bastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/218/168

Height: 5'8"

way to go on your weight loss so far. there are many groups that can help, just poke around and soon you will find the one that is right for you. good luck

trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:13 PM   #3  

Hey Bastet,
good job, sounds like you are doing things the right way, I am also about halfway to my goal and just found this site, if you need a buddy, feel free to add me to your list
Take care
Maeble
maeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #4  
Former Frump

Smile Fighting the good fight!

Hey, thanks guys! Camaraderie is a great thing, eh? Nothing like knowing someone else out there is struggling right along with ya!

Maeble - What kind of program are you following? What finally got you motivated this time? My motivation is a) want more energy b) want to feel sex-ay again, 3) 3 family members diagnosed type II diabetic in the last year.

Trob - Thanks, I've found some good threads already, though some seem to be petering out and losing some steam. I'm waiting for some new challenges to start, I'm all over those!

Well, did very well today. Will do my elliptical workout, and my Kathy Smith Lower Body Firming dvd. Tomorrow I'm going to try and run 2 miles, which will be a 1st for me. I've done 1.75 miles, so think I can push forward a little more. Wish me luck!!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #5  

hey bastet, in response to your question,
I am on the basic reduced calorie plan, and doing fabulous!
I got my motivation to lose weight through a series of complex life changes, including going back to school, moving, and depression over my weight, I gained alot of weight over the course of a year and cant wait to get back down to my goal weight!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #6  
Former Frump

Cool chicas

I hear ya about depression! I got so tired of feeling frumpy and dumpy, just had to get off my bum and do something!

I like to rely more on exercise for weight loss, that way I can still eat pretty well. I aim for 1300-1600 cals per day, spread out so I don't get hungry enough to do something dumb. My office is terrible, always donuts and cake lying around. I eat lots of fresh fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth, and keep 100 cal snack packs around for moments I need something salty.

My fave diet food: chicken soup at my fave mexican joint: clear broth with big chunks of veggies and chicken breast flavored with lime juice... YUM!!! I could eat that every night and not get tired of it!!

Do you work out, in addition to reducing cals?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #7  

yeah, I work out as well, during the school months, I go to the gym daily, and do cardio, this summer I have been a little more lax, only going on walks and such in town (between 2 and 10 miles every other day) it seems to be working, but right now I am at a pleatau and getting soooo frustrated, I am beginning to get desperate and a little frustrated. honestly, thats what caused me to find this site, lookin for help.
yum, your diet meals sound awesome, I tend to stick pretty much to veggie type of meals, my fav is ceasar salads, I could eat that all the time
my job is terrible for sweets and snacks too, and my coworkers are always sending out for junk food (read fast food) and we have people bring in chocolates and stuff as thank yous, talk about doomed! LOL, btw in reading your post I saw that you quit smoking using forums, me too, it was a great support and I don't know what I would have done without it, so I reallly hope this site will be the same way!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:49 AM   #8  
chela

S/C/G: 217/209/130

Height: 5'0"

Unhappy you go chica!!!!

hey chica. what up? I was reading your story it sounds just like me.question are you latina, if you are then we really have a lot in incomen I also was depress about my weight and the way didn't felt sexy like I use too I felt unattractive with man. I began to lose weight and I have lost 10 pounds my mini goal is to loose 60 pounds by december.well anyway its a short story of my long life if you want to talk send me pm .well good luck.
chela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:41 AM   #9  
Former Frump

Smile *whew* got my workout in!!

Chela - I am not hispanic, Irish-German background here. But we're all chicas here, working towards a common goal!
I'm down almost 30 lbs, and starting to feel like I'm getting my groove back. Had some guys ina truck whistle the other day and felt quite pleased... teehee!

Maeble - Hey, congrats on your smobriety! Yeah, I was on the forums, and used them to support myself while I did the nicotine patch program. I had a silkquit meter tracking my progress and used every weapon I could lay hands on to slay that particular dragon! We rock!!

Sorry to hear about your plateau... Maybe try and mix things up, workout-wise? I just recently added Tae Bo and running, and it's really kicking my game into hyperdrive!

I walk a ton too. I walk to & from work (2.5 miles), and usually walk on my lunch, plus have to walk the dogs 2-3 times a day. Probably clocked 5-6 miles today, and just finished 60 mins on the elliptical. I feel great, and now it's time to pour myself into bed! Tomorrow is another day, let's make it a good one!!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #10  

wow, sounds like you are totally motivated, good job! about the plateau thing, I am trying belly dancing (hopefully someday without the bellly!!) so well see how that works, and congrats on such a huge accomplishment with the quit keep! wow.. thats really awesome! wahoo.. ok so keep up the good work and take care!
Maeble
Old 07-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #11  
Former Frump

Thumbs up bellydancing

I picked up Kathy Smith's Flex Appeal Belly Dancing workout a couple of weeks ago, just to add something in every now and again. It is purported to be great workout for mid-section.

I ran 2 miles last night, which is my all-time best!! Not gonna tell ya it was easy, cuz it wasn't! I was dripping sweat, but I made it. Continued with 40 mins on the elliptical machine, and feel REALLY good today. I want to continue to bump up my runs, would like eventually to be able to do 3-4 miles.

Weighed in today, down another 3.5 lbs since my last weigh in. Tonight will be 65 mins elliptical and early to bed.

You have a good weekend, Maeble?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #12  

Have you done the belly dance work outs yet? I ordered the videos from amazon, so I am still waiting on them to arrive, I am super excited, I also am doing well, this weekend is sooo hot, but as soon as it cools, I expect to head out with the pups. I am excited, I have done really well with my diet, and stayed away from the desserts (my nemesis) that and carbs!, I weighed myself, and got to update my ticker wahoo!. if we can keep this up we will both be at goal weight in no time!
well bastet, good luck with your eliptical tonight, and keep up the good work!
-Maeble-
Old 07-31-2006, 11:18 AM   #13  
Former Frump

Thumbs up belly dancing

I did the workout, and did feel that it gave a nice workout to abs and hips/thighs. Didn't really get my heart rate up, so don't know how effective at cardio is was. It definitely made me feel that I seriously lack grace..

Had a nice workout last night. Warmed up by running 1 mile, then did 30 mins on the stationary bike and 20 on the elliptical. Definitely feeling the 2 mile run I did on Saturday...

Tonight will be elliptical, might also run a mile to warm up. Love how the running is shaping up my tush!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #14  
Former Frump

Thumbs up Didja get the workouts yet?

I have been fighting off a case of the lazies... good thing today is my day off, eh? I forced myself to go last night, got a good workout on the elliptical, and felt proud of myself for not wussing out.

My bum hurts from a session I did on the exercise bike a couple of nights ago. And not that good muscle-ache hurt... like the seat bruised my booty hurt. See if I get on that machine again any time soon!

I was able to pull out some rings that I haven't been able to mash onto my fingers in a while, so that was cool!

Have a good one!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #15  

Unhappy grouchie girl makes bad choices!

wow bastet, congratulations on your discipline, I had a terrible day yesterday, all I could think about was the weight I wasn't losing!. thats not good for the morale, I was lazy, and didn't eat well, so I won't be surprised if I have to move my ticker today! (upwards like fashion)
So today, I am going to make myself get up and go exercise, and hopefully get out from under this storm cloud. ok, well, good luck on your endeavors today.
-maeble-