Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #1  

Exclamation Help, I need a friend!

HI everyone! I am new to the site and I need a friend for some support. I am a 34 year old Mom who is 60 pounds overweight. I am also a caregiver for my father-in-law who has dementia. And I work in a bakery. It all makes my life really hectic. So I procrastinate. I am also a diabetic with high blood pressure and cholestrol. I need help to get past this point. Hope to hear from you. Catherine
jamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #2  

Hi Catherine,

I am new here, too. Wow, you are a busy lady! I can see where it would be hard to find time for yourself. I am 38, mom of 3, military wife, etc. I, too, am trying to reduce cholesterol and get healthy, so feel free to IM me anytime. I go to school 2 mornings, and substitute teach whenever I can, but I still try to check in often. I am doing weight watchers- an hour a week I carve out for myself. Hope to talk soon

Michelle
dolphinlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #3  

Default Me too.

Just wanted to pass a hello onto you.
I am 28 year old gal who weighs in at 218. Too much as far as I am concerned. But I just wanted to pat you on the back, I work in long term care with dementia every single day. It's a hard job and you are a special person to take care of a loved one.

Christine
ApplBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:35 AM   #4  

Hi, girls! I'm new, too, and also work in long term care...and wanted to also say how it takes a truly amazing person to care for a loved one battling dementia.

Catherine, you & I have a lot in common...I'm 34, mom of 2 girls, I work full-time in long term care, bakery items are one of my biggest downfalls, and I have 75 lbs to shed. I'd love to buddy-up!

I forgot to add that I have high blood pressure, thyroid problems, and pre-diabetes II; so I have no choice but to be serious about getting rid of this weight. It's do or die time.
pinksh00z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:05 PM   #5  

Smile Can I join too?

Hi all. I am looking to check in daily for words of wisdom and just chat about our diets, our days and help each other keep motivated.

I am 34 years old, first time mom last August and I have a father who had 5 strokes and left him with a bit of dementia among other things. My mom takes care of him but I live 10 minutes away and try to help out as much as I can. I can definitely sympathize with the works of dementia and people suffering from it. It does take an amazing person to work in this field. I applaud you for doing so. I also work full-time.

I am 50 pounds overweight and am trying to shed this off! I am doing Atkins right now and have finally gotten into a groove. Lost 5 pounds so far. Just bought some workout dvd's for home -- Yoga Booty Ballet. It's so much fun! I highly recommend it if it's the sort of thing you like to do. Just started the workouts so we'll see how it's all going in 2 weeks.

Good luck to you all and I look forward to checking in here to see how you are all doing.

Elisa
Buffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #6  

Hi catherine ,
I just wanted to say Hi to you and let you know that you are not alone. I am in a similar position. I am 30, married, 2 kids, work full time and take care of my 86 year old grandmother. I also need to loose about 60 pounds!
we can do this, its time to do something for ourselves
mac1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #7  
on my way to HOT !!!

S/C/G: 260/260/150

Height: 5'3

Talking

Hi Ladies,
My name is Elizabeth ~ I hope this finds you doing well !

It sounds like you all have your hands full with families, work and taking care of family members too. Glad to see you're all taking the iniative to lose weight at the same time in your busy lives !!

I would like to invite you to join Us on The Diet Journey of 2006 ~ 3FC Style !!

A place regardless of how much or how little you have to lose. A place to make buddies, and a great support base!!

Where you WILL find encouragement !!

You will find The Diet Journey of 2006 ~ 3FC Style !! listed under the Support Forums Group !!

Come join us on the journey ~ Hope to see you there!!
MommaAshley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:54 AM   #8  

It sounds like we do have the makings for a nice group with lots in common...what do you say, girls?
pinksh00z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #9  

I am so glad that I have heard back from all of you! I did not think I would get such a big response. Yes, to Pinkshooz, I think we have a start of a good group. If any of you can give me support as a caregiver, I will be glad to give it back! LOL , Catherine
Old 01-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #10  

Hi. Can I jump in here? I am a 36 year old sahm to a 9 1/2 yr old girl and an 8 yr old boy. I am currently unemployed which is not helping my weight issues. I read about how you all bake - I don't but unfortunately it is my husband's pasttime. And I do most of the nibbling.
wanttobeme_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #11  

So how is everybody doing? To Buffy0 : Looks like we have the same goals. I wish you strength as I do to the rest of you! Catherine
Old 01-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #12  

Hi everyone!

Well I don't know how I'm doing but I think my diet is going well. I haven't really found the time to exercise lately -- my life has been so busy and when I do find the time, I'm too pooped to do anything! I haven't weighed myself yet...I think I'm too scared to.

To Jamamom/Catherine. I see that we do have the same goals. How are you doing? Other than the exercise, I'm pretty proud of myself that I haven't cheated. For me, getting the diet down was more of a problem then the exercise. If anything, I do get a bit of walking in everyday (park far away from stores, work, walk the dog, etc). I just don't really get a true "burn" going.

Hopefully this week will be better for me in that dept. I hope you are all doing well!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #13  

Wow, this sounds like possibly a place for me. I am 44 need to loose 100+ pounds, have three kids, 21, 18 & 15. and have two really aging parents who live around the block from me, dad has dementia, mom has cronic pain from a back injury. The doctors told dad to quit driving and working and of course he won't. It is really hard to take care of them. I have always been super close to my mom and I hate to have word like burden go thru my mind, but it has become so hard. Unfortunately I have never been close to my dad, he is not an easy person to like. I can't tell you everything he has done to destroy the family over the years. But in his old age I am supposed to step in with the love and compassion. I know I know I do love him he is my dad but liking him is a different story. Anyway I guess I don't need to say all of that here. But needless to say finding time for me or even caring about what I stuff into my mouth after a long day at work is daunting. I am starting to make better choices that is all I can say. I haven't gotten to the gym yet I know how important that is.....there again its making the time. Hope everyones Tuesday is on track and goes well.
jagmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #14  

Post Just letting you know!

Well I have stuck to my diet so far. Six small meals with no cheating! It was hard to do at work today because I made one of my favorite things. Mocha cake! The mocha flavored chocolate beans forthe top are heavenly, but I did not eat a single one. I have not started my exercise yet. I meant to go skating yesterday, but I fell asleep after working a 2 am shift. Luckily my father-in-law is starting to sleep through the night. It is hard when he gets up and wants to leave the house. He tries over and over again! The alarms on the doors don't bother him. My husband and myself take turns sleeping on the couch. My husband is suppoting me! Which is a blessing! I won't weigh myself until next Monday. We have one of those big scales at work like they have on The Biggest Loser. I think if I had a scale at home that it would depress me.
BUFFY, we can do it! My first goal is to lose ten and then work from there.
JAGMOM3, welcome, nice to hear from someone else. I totally understand your feelings! And making time for yourself is hard when you are always caring for somebody else. The first thing I did for me when I started this diet was to go have my hair done in a new style. It was something small but it was for me. Talk to you all later!
Catherine
Old 01-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #15  

Jagamom! Thanks for the encouragment! Looks like we are totally in sync. I too have the diet going really well. Just need to get the exercise part of things going and I think I'll really be in a good place.

For now I'm just busy with the baby and I'm hoping to get more support from my hubby. For a while there he's been kind of a downfall for me. He eats lots of junk and I tended to graze with him in the past. But this time I've begged him to do it with me so he's definitely on-board to do so.

I find that sometimes I get a little depressed with my size...especially since I've been thinner most of my life. Something I've started doing when I get down is 1) I look here, you all inspire me and 2) I keep a diary of my day, diet, etc and if that doesn't work, I go shopping. Even buying something as little as a bottle of shampoo can help. Weird I know but it helps.

My diet is consisting of a low-carb plan and it feels good. I'm not totally in with Atkins but something along those lines. I need to look into the South Beach Diet. I think it's actually what I'm doing now.

We can do it!!!