Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #1  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Talking Brand spanking new!!!

Hello everyone:

My name is Liz, but I go by Libby online. I am 33 years old and I am presently obese. About 2 months ago, I came to a realization of sorts. One day I thought to myself as I looked at a scale that said 204 lbs, "hmmm...you have a history of diabetes, stroke, heart disease and hyper tension in your family. If you don't do something now, will you ever?" I decided that unlike being on a "d-d-d-diet" and worrying so much about the way I looked, that I needed to worry more about the way I felt, ate, lived my life and my current state of health. I, yes, have struggled for the majority of my life with my weight. Been up and down in weight. Up and down in clothing sizes. I realized that it all boils down to poor eating habits/choices, lack of exercise and way too big of portions. Hmmm...common sense basically. Well as I sat and pondered the way in which I was going to rectify this situation I was looking at a nutritional label on a carton on milk. The USDA sets guidelines on those labels based on a 2,000 calorie a day diet. First thing I needed to do was figure out what a healthy weight was and how many calories to eat to get to that weight and then once I achieve that weight, how many calories to maintain that weight. Ok...to the internet I go...

The USDA website states that a healthy BMI is between 18.5 & 24.9. Mine was 35. I was off the charts. Wow...what a buzz kill. Anyway, I was in the obese category. The next category up is Overweight, not much better, but sure beats the heck out of obese. Then the next level is just simply "normal". Ok...swallowing the fact that I was basically abnormal by government standards, I decided to see what they had to say. I decided to set my goal weight at 132 lbs. Why 132 lbs? Well I am not going to try to reach an insurmountable goal of being 100 - 115 lbs, because that would be for vanity and not health. So my healthy weight range according to the USDA is between 101 and 135 lbs. I am 5' 2". So I didn't want to be at the end of the weight range because it's too easy to fall off of it and I wanted to give myself a weight buffer. 3 lbs is fair. Anyway, according to the FDA I should be eating a total of 1750 calories a day to maintain 132 lbs. But while I'm losing the weight I shouldn't go over 1700 calories a day. So, I am eating 1700 calories a day until I get to 132 lbs and then I will increase that by 50 calories. So far so good.

Then I read that the USDA developed an eating plan that healthy Americans should follow or unhealthy Americans in my case, should follow to become and maintain good health. I started to follow the food pyramid. It's actually quite liberal and it's not hard to realize what the best health choices are if you are following the food pyramid. Each day, I get at least 3 servings of veggies, 3 servings of fruit, 3 servings of dairy. 2 servings of fish, meat or poultry, 6 - 7 servings of whole grains and 1 - 2 servings of fat (good fats and in moderation butter is included!). You can go higher than those servings, but I stay at the low end because it gives me more than enough choices. I also take a multi-vitamin, 2 omega 3 supplements, 2 calcium supplements and when needed a b-complex for extra energy. I also drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Mostly with lemon added. Fresh lemon only. It's a great health aid. I have fallen in love with fruits and vegetables all over again. I used to love eating cookies and cakes and chocolate! Now I crave fruits. I also love to snack on raw almonds and walnuts. In moderation though. But they are very healthy for you and great source of protien and good fats. I like to make up my own trail mixes with walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds and dried cranberries. YUMMY! That is a great snack. Another one that I love, especially during that time of the month, is apple slices with peanut butter! OH WOW. SO good for you and so satisfying.

I enjoy trying new meal combinations. I am on a personal quest to be healthier. I am not denying myself anything either. But what's funny is most of the stuff that I used to eat huge quantities of and couldn't resist like, chips, cake, cookies, candy, I could care less about. I know what I am doing is good for me. I feel better, I look better. My hair, skin and nails are beautiful. I have BOUNDLESS energy. For the first time since I had my son (almost 2 years ago), I can ALMOST keep up with him!

I went to my family doctor about a month ago to let him know what I'm doing and to verify my weight. He gave me a script for blood work. I want to see where I stand with CBC, blood sugar, etc.. So I got my blood work done a week ago. I have a physical on 12/7, so we'll see. I had been eating like this for almost 2 months when I had the tests.

Now for my sins. I haven't had much of an exercise routine. When I started this, it was still very nice outside. Now it's bitter cold. I really need to work an exercise routine into my life. I know that I need that as much as I need the healthier eating. I bought some pilates dvds and I am proud to annouce that after having them 6 months, I have finally removed the plastic wrap from the package. Hey, it's a step in the right direction!

Now some bragging. Well I'm not going to get too full of myself, but I have lost 13 lbs in the last 2 months. I am not trying to lose this all over night, but I am trying to lose it for good this time. I really don't care how long it takes me, but I do care if it's effective and healthy. I bought this great scale and for the first time in my life I am in love with a SCALE???!!! It stores up to 4 different weights. Lets you set your target weight and tracks your progress. It also measures body fat and water weight. It's wonderful!

Well I guess I have given you all a mouthfull about my weight and health and such. I will share some other tidbits with you now. I am married to a wonderful man and we will be married 8 years on Jan 3rd. He's so supportive and loving and loves ME no matter what! I am truly blessed. I also have a step-son Alex who's 12 who lives out of state with his mom and step dad. He's a wonderful young man. I have a son Austin who will be 20 months old in 2 days! (sniff, sniff) He's getting so big. He's amazing and wonderful and I love him so much, it's scary! I am a born again child of God. I have been saved since I was 6 years old and Jesus Christ is the reason why my life is so blessed. If it had not been for Him, I would be no where. I have a rewarding career in philanthropy. I have worked for the same organization for almost 11 years. In the fall I will be going back to school to pursue my bachelor of science in business administration. I love to cook, garden, spend time with family and am very active in my church. I even started a website for them. Still in it's infancy, well embryo stage. http://www.gbc-online.org .

I would love to have a healthy eating/living buddy. I would love to meet others in my situation and that can relate to my ups and downs. Please feel free to email me.

Nice to meet you all.

Love and God bless,

Libby

Last edited by Libby1972; 12-03-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:16 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Liz, I just saw your post, and wanted to welcome you!
Congratulations on your loss!! I'd be in love with my scale if I lost 13 pounds, too. I hope the love affair continues...

I also wanted to mention that there's a faith-based support group here, too.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127
Good luck, Liz!!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/210/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Hi Libby

Hey Libby, I just read your post and it is so inspirational as well as being filled with tons of information! Thanks and good luck on your journey. I am going to read some about the FDA guidelines now too!

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2005, 11:26 PM   #4  

I know the feeling!!!! I have one child and go to college full time. Dieting is hard work!!!!! I have managed somehow to loose 38 lbs and have 37 to go...I don't feel like I am ever going to get there... I have used ever nutrition guide and online tool imaginable to help me along and really feel right now like I am really lacking support, which is how I ended up here. I can relate to everything you said and if you need a buddy let me know!!!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #5  
Maintainer

Here is the website for anyone interested. http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/login.aspx They have a TON of great FREE tools to use at your disposal. You will need to create your own account. But it keeps track of what you eat and if you are following the USDA guidelines. The key is to put your goal weight in instead of your current weight. Reason being, you will end up with more calories, fat, carbs, etc..to consume. Good luck!

Last edited by Libby1972; 12-03-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #6  

Welcome. It sounds like you have a good plan in place. Congrats on the 13 pounds. It is good that you are losing the weight for the right reasons. I am also doing it for my health. My mom is overweight and extremly unhealthy, just looking at her is my motivation, I know that sounds mean. But I do not want to be like her when I grow up. I want to be healthy and active. Good Luck.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #7  

Talking I need a buddy too!

Hi Libby...1st let me tell you that I love your name. My sister's name is Libby (Elizabeth). 2nd...Your email has a lot of energy and motivation and you sound like a lot of fun.

Now about me ...I'm 37, need to loose 100 lbs. I haven't had much trouble going up and down with my weight - always up it seems. I'm married (almost 8 years in May) and have 2 children....5 and 8.

I'm miserable with the weight. I've had gall bladder surgery (gall stones), hernia, heart cath (normal) and now he says I have asthma. ENOUGH! I'm sick to death of being sick and feeling like such a failure. Food consumes me and has taken over my life. I've allowed it to happen.

I joined WW a week ago on-line. I don't have time to go to meetings, but I wanted a way to calculate my points and progress at work and at home. The problem is I don't have a buddy to talk to. I think a support system is so important.

I work full-time and take 3 classes on-line. I also attend church and am involved with activities with the kids. I so want to set a good example for my children. I fear they are learning bad habits.

Can you be my buddy please? Where do you live? I"m in Louisville, KY.
Write soon.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:27 AM   #8  
Maintainer

Wink Hey there!

I would love to be your buddy. I need inspiration too. I too am extremely active in my church and want to be the best I can be for my family. I have a ways to go in my weight loss, but I'm taking my time to do it right.

I was on weight watchers 2 separate times. Obviously, it didn't work out for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a great program. I just had difficulty sticking with it. I do have a points calculator that I would love to US mail to you. PM me your address and I'll send it off to you. It's a slightly older model, but it works great.

The website that has given me a lot of guidance in my eating is the USDA My Pyramid site. http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/login.aspx They have a TON of great FREE tools to use at your disposal. You will need to create your own account. But it keeps track of what you eat and if you are following the USDA guidelines. The key is to put your goal weight in instead of your current weight. Reason being, you will end up with more calories, fat, carbs, etc..to consume, which won't help you lose weight. They give you great advice. They have a database with EVERYTHING in it foodwise. It's great. I use it as a food journal and a healthy eating tool. I am addicted. In a good way of course. Good health is something EVERYONE should be addicted to.

My problem is, I never find enough time to exercise. I have a husband who is in school full time online as well and a 20 month old who is very demanding, yet lovable. I have a lifetime membership to a gym that I haven't used in over 5 years and enough VHS and DVD work-out videos to start my own library of them. I love to walk, but now that it's 20 degrees during the day and in the teens at night....hmmmm.....I don't think so. Believe me, I have my struggles. Also, as hard as I try with the eating analyzer on the USDA website, I still consume slightly too much cholestrol-sp? and sodium. I need to work on that.

I keep a very detailed blog. If you would like to read that as well, PM me.

So McKean4, I would love to be your buddy and I will add you to my buddy list after I post this. We can win this thing together.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:38 PM   #9  
Exercise Queen

Hey Libby, you sound like you are well on your way to getting fit and healthy. I wanted to invite you to join us on the 30 Something to lose 30 Something thread. We are having lots of fun over there. The 30 Somethings are very liberal!
Old 12-03-2005, 09:50 PM   #10  
Ready To Change!

S/C/G: 270/240/170

Height: 6'1"

Hey Libby and McKean,

I was reading your posts, and would like to jump in on your buddy band wagon! I can basically copy and paste a large majority of both of your posts and call it my life. I've neglected myself for years and am sick of it. My self-esteem has been battered, my self-image...what's that? I'm just tired, tired, tired of being overweight and unhappy. My health is HORRIBLE (insulin resistance, sore joints, high cholesterol, etc...etc...etc...) and I want my life back! Ok, now I feel better... what a rant, huh?

BTW... I'm 33, live north of Detroit, and have 2 gorgeous daughters-- 7 and 3. I work full-time, which I am currently using as an excuse for not exercising regularly. ;-) I know what I need to do, but haven't yet...

I would love to buddy up with you guys. If you're interested in e-mailing a couple times a week for inspiration, I'd love it. Let me know!!

Take care!
Cheryl
Old 12-03-2005, 09:53 PM   #11  
Ready To Change!

S/C/G: 270/240/170

Height: 6'1"

Hey Libby,
I just noticed your location. Where are you? I'm in Clawson-- in between Troy and Royal Oak.

Adios,
Cheryl
Old 12-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #12  

Cool I'm new too!

Hi Libby,

I just read your message and it seems as though we have a lot in common. I am a 38 yr old, with 8 children. All of whom have been born by csection.(I am desperate to lose this morbidly obese, extra weight.) I run a small daycare from my home and have a very hard time getting out to exercise. I do work out, but haven't been very faithful these last few monthsmad: I'm hoping to join a walkers group this next week, they open up our schools so we can walk safely in the winter. Anyway, if you need a buddy I'm here.

Blessings,
Val
Old 12-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #13  

Cool I'm new too!

Hi Libby,

I just read your message and it seems as though we have a lot in common. I am a 38 yr old, with 8 children. All of whom have been born by csection.(I am desperate to lose this morbidly obese, extra weight.) I run a small daycare from my home and have a very hard time getting out to exercise. I do work out, but haven't been very faithful these last few months I'm hoping to join a walkers group this next week, they open up our schools so we can walk safely in the winter. Anyway, if you need a buddy I'm here.

Blessings,
Val
Old 12-04-2005, 01:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Hi Libby! Thanks for posting and giving so much info. Im going over to the pyramid right now to check it out. I desperately need all the support I can get and I am full of support for you. Good luck.
Closed Thread