Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 03:37 AM   #1  
Krynallyn

Location: Cleveland, TN. until fall of 06 than Cookeville, Tn. to finish up school.

Default Big Guy looking to the Little Women for help!

Hi Everybody!

I just joined the site and am very eager to lose some weight! I've been fairly hefty for most of my life (I'm 34) but I'm getting tired of it. I was sitting around thinking about who I could turn to for good advice and support and it hit me! Women! I mean, I hate to say it, but most guys are all the big macho type who hate to ask for help of any kind and tend to laugh at those of us who do...maybe not to our faces but you get the idea...so I'm turning over a new leaf, coming to you with my hat in my hand and asking for help. I'm actually fairly new to this, I've tried a few things over the years but have never really put my heart into it. Any and all information, suggestions and support you can give will be appreciated beyond belief.(and if I ever win the lottery I'll remember each and everyone of you! ) So first off, I'd like to ask your advice on different body types, setting goals and what kind of diets are there that really work. I do have to say that I am kind of interested in a vegetarian diet since as I get older I find that I eat less and less meat.
Well, let me let you answer that. I'm looking forward getting to know all of you and I'm eager to find some buddies to help me out.

Thanks in advance,
Pete
Old 11-26-2005, 07:21 AM   #2  

Thumbs up big guy

Of course women could help you more than men because they are always on diets and we know about everyone out there there is. I wish you much success with your losing and you can call it your way of life from now on and be happy with what you do. I am an older lady who is trying to lose a lot of weight and so far so good. I went on low fat and a little of weight watchers. I like meat and don't think i would good on veggie diet, but some of the people in here could probably could give you some pointers. I wish you all the luck in the world.

abigi7
Old 11-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #3  
Working my "weigh" down

Hi Pete, Good luck in whichever 'diet' you decide on. However, I think one of the most important things you'll have to remember is that at our age (and I am older than you) is that it won't be a 'diet' any longer, it is a lifestyle change.
I'm currently doing Weight Watchers and I wish someone could have gotten it through my head years ago that it did work and I wouldn't have been overweight and miserable all these years!!
Do you eat chicken or fish? They would be helpful in your diet but not necessary, I don't think.
Good luck and there is plenty of support here for the asking - this is the best site I've found.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:43 AM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi Pete

You've found a great place for support! I don't know much (or anything ) about vegetarian diets -- although I do eat some foods that are made for vegetarians like Quorn and Boca Burgers. Do you have an ideas about what kind of exercise you'll be doing?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:48 AM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Hi Pete, welcome to 3FC!

If you're in need of a buddy, you can PM me. I'm not a vegetarian, but I tend to minimize the amount of red meat I eat. I usually try to gear my food towards what's being promoted as a Mediterranean diet ... lots of plant-based food (fruits, grains, vegetables), fish or poultry maybe once or twice a day, olive oil instead of butter, etc.

Good luck! I hope you find this site as useful as I have.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:32 PM   #6  
30 lost, 55 to go!

Hello Pete. I'm fairly new here too (I usually just post in the journals section). I've been trying diets since high school...but nothing really stuck until last year. I've lost 37 over the past year, and have 48 more to go for my goal. I think that as we get older (I'm 35) it gets physically harder to lose weight...but mentally it gets easier. We are better prepared in our minds to accept that it won't be a fast fix and that we need to keep it going for life. Maybe that's why it finally started working for me...although it has not been easy and there have been many set backs over the past year. For setting goals, I find it easiest to set 2 goals. One is the BIG GOAL. The place you want to be when all is done (mine is 150). But, I find it hard to keep motivated because it's going to take me a couple of years to get to the big goal. So, I set a second, smaller goal to keep me going. My first one was to get under 200. I've just accomplished that...so now I am focusing on my marriage weight (174). It's a smaller goal to manage and I don't feel like giving up because it won't take me as long to get there.

Best of luck to ya!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 199/196/170

Height: 5'4

hi Pete, welcome to this wonderful site, you will learn so much here, It has finally dawn on me that most "diets" don't work, like everyone is saying it is a "way of life" just have to change the way you eat. I haven't been here very long but I have cut way back on red meat and am really going after the beans, veggies and fruits. Best of luck to you, just keep at it.
Lynda
Old 11-29-2005, 12:05 AM   #8  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Hey Pete!

Welcome! I used to be a vegetarian (had to convert bcak to white meat due to money issues, isn't that sad!). You must remember to take a B12 supplement-very important since you wont be eating meat. Also, don't forget protein. You wil have to eat a variety of sources as most plant based protein is not a "complete" protein...but not all, you will have to go to the net for the ones that are complete, I don't know them off hand. Also remember that just because there is not meat does automatically designate the food healthy...a lot of new vegetarians do this. Here is some of what I know

Fats- omegs 3 very important! Olive oil really good too.

Protein sources- ToFu, Beans, Veggie burgers ( I like Boca, Licks are good too but high in fat, Garden buger) Nuts (in moderation due to high fat, but good fats)

Complex Carbs-whole grain breads, grains in general, brown rice, Whole Wheat pasta etc. Try to stay away from the "whites" they don't do much for you anyway

Veggies and fruit-well these are self explainable!

here are a couple of links http://www.veg.ca/ http://www.goveg.com/

Oh and I highly suggest borowing a copy of a vegetarian cookbook from the liberay-make copies of the recipies you like, this will help with variety when starting out!

Hope that help a bit on the vegetarian part...

Last edited by fitgal2; 11-29-2005 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #9  
soon to be hot momma

Hey Pete,
First let me congratulate you for making the first step!!! Coming here and wanting to do something about the weight!!Like someone said earlier this is a life long battle so treat it as such! I do not deny myself anything If I trully want it I have it then I try to make up for it by behaving at other meals and not going overboard! I dont let my slip ups get me down and set me up for bingeing . Anyone can do this there is no magic potion or special pills , It boils down to cals eaten to cals expended and if there is a deficit in cals then you will lose if not you know the alternative (we all do) Exercise and healthy eating are the keys , but putting your mind to it and doing it are tougher but also neccessary!! You can do this Pete!! Do it for yourself get your degree and get the new body youve always dreamed of !! Welcome and I hope you fulfill your goals!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:23 PM   #10  
Krynallyn

Location: Cleveland, TN. until fall of 06 than Cookeville, Tn. to finish up school.

Wow!

First off let me say thanks for the replies filled with encouragement and information(are you all just hoping for some of that lottery money? ) If I had known I'd get this much help, I would have been losing weight a long time ago. Secondly, I have to apologize for not getting back on here sooner, finals week is coming up and I'm not finding any time to do anything but study.

Someone did private message me and say that I needed to give out some more info so here it is:
height 6'3"
weight 285
goal weight 230
weight loss philosophy: hmmm...hadn't really thought about it but it's probably something along the lines of "nothing to fear but fear itself" if you can figure out how to apply that to weight loss...
exercise plan: I'm just going to start out easy right now. I used to be overweight but with great stamina...now I'm just overweight. I need to get that stamina back first.
diet plan: Of course I have already mentioned the vegetarian thing, and thanks for the advice about that fitgal2 that will really come in handy. oh and lovesbassets I eat the boca burgers to but i've never heard of quorn, what is that?

I'm aiming to really start this whole thing in January, although I will start the exercise part as soon as school is out. Keep the advice and encouragement coming! and if any of you ever need any in return just let me know!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:32 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynallyn
oh and lovesbassets I eat the boca burgers to but i've never heard of quorn, what is that?
Hi Pete

Quorn is made from mycoprotein (fungi protein), but don't let that scare you! It's absolutely delicious (IMO)! It comes in cutlets, "roast" form, nuggets, and even "hot dogs." You can basically do anything with it that you would do with chicken or other meats. I don't eat chicken (or any other birds -- long story ) so it's a nice way for me to still enjoy recipes that call for chicken. It's a fabulous source of protein -- one Quorn cutlet is 200 cals, 10 grams of protein, and only 20 grams of carbs. And that's the (very, very yummy) BREADED -- higher carb -- version. I have yet to find the non-breaded version here in the U.S. (which is pretty much all I ate when I lived in the U.K.) The only problem with Quorn is that it can be tough to find. You'll need to check out a health food store or maybe a place like Trader Joe's. I'm lucky because the local organic grocery store sells it.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing .
Old 11-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #12  
Krynallyn

Hey! Now there's an interesting coincidence! I don't eat chicken either!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:47 PM   #13  
Krynallyn

You know, I think my biggest problem is the fact that I have no nutritonal sense whatsoever...pardon me while I remove the cats gnawing on my toes...anyways what I mean is that I have never learned about all the protien, carb and fats stuff. I guess that's what i'm here to learn the most about.

Pete
Old 11-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #14  

Quote:
anyways what I mean is that I have never learned about all the protien, carb and fats stuff. I guess that's what i'm here to learn the most about.
What would you like to know about them?

Okay, Chapter One -- The Basics:

Carbs and fats are energy sources -- "sugars" -- which are converted into glucose in the bloodstream. If you take in too many fats/carbs for your bloodstream to handle, that glucose is stored in your liver. If your liver gets overloaded, the glucose is converted into glycogen and is stored as body fat.

Proteins (made up of amino acids) are the "building blocks" of muscle and other important things like the linings of your internal organs -- which is why eating things like beef liver, kidneys, etc. is so good for you .

Fiber is cellulose (carbs) from plants. Humans cannot digest fiber. The only creatures that can do that are the little micro-organisms that live in the stomachs of grazing animals like cows, deer, and goats -- which is why they can survive on hay and we cannot . We humans get very little nutritional benefit from eating fiber. It's basically "Drano" that keeps your system clear (and also "fills you up," which is why many people eat a lot of fiber while dieting).

That may not be the info you were looking for, but it's a start I guess! LOL.

And please pardon my nerdiness -- I'm taking an animal nutrition course this semester .

Last edited by LovesBassets; 11-29-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:16 PM   #15  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Quote:
You know, I think my biggest problem is the fact that I have no nutritonal sense whatsoever...pardon me while I remove the cats gnawing on my toes...anyways what I mean is that I have never learned about all the protien, carb and fats stuff. I guess that's what i'm here to learn the most about.

Pete
Another good basic nutrition tip is that less processed food is usually best. Shop around the edges of the grocery store and brush up on your cooking skills Eat a wide variety of foods, especially fruits and vegetables. Get those 5-7 servings a day.

I'd really recommend walking as a great way to gently get back your exercise stamina. Exercise will really help keep your metabolism up, give you more energy and make the whole process of weight loss so much easier.

Welcome and good luck!
Closed Thread